Newbie question

Old February 23rd 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davemon

Default Newbie question

I've just got a 'Home500' connection, which is supposed to give me
speeds of up to 512Kbps, but my (new windows XP) PC reports I'm getting
576.0kps. Has WinXP just added 64kps for the fun of it?

Old February 23rd 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:32:11 UTC, Davemon wrote:

I've just got a 'Home500' connection, which is supposed to give me
speeds of up to 512Kbps, but my (new windows XP) PC reports I'm getting
576.0kps. Has WinXP just added 64kps for the fun of it?

The 576 is the raw bit rate and includes 'administrative overhead'. When
that's taken off, the actual *data* transfer rate is 512.

Old February 23rd 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davemon

Thanks Bob,

That certainly helps (I was thinking I'd broken the laws of physics or
something).

Just out of curiosity, what would 'administrative overhead' cover? is it
on the DSL-line, or is it a PC thing?

Old February 23rd 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:28:23 UTC, Davemon wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what would 'administrative overhead' cover? is it
on the DSL-line, or is it a PC thing?

In general terms, the raw data has to be put into packets for
transmission over the network (actually, it's already in packets when it
leaves your PC, but it gets wrapped in another layer; a good analogue is
your posted letter, that gets packed into a sack, that gets packed into
a van...!)

Those packets need headers, etc. to indicate their source, destination,
etc. That's the overhead..extra bytes to do that.