Typical download figures

Old February 23rd 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default Typical download figures

I apologise if this question has been asked before but can anyone give me an
estimate of typical monthly downloads with various patterns of usage, or point
me to website which will give me the information.

I have daughters who have just moved into a new house and I am considering a
PAYG type package, such as Metronet - I am trying to ascertain whether this will
be more economical than a fixed price capped package.

One daughter surfs, uses IM and email. The other just surfs and uses email.
Neither are into p2p or streaming. Both have got used to BB (ntl 750k) at home
and will not like going back to dial-up.

JPG
Old February 23rd 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

JPG wrote:
I apologise if this question has been asked before but can anyone give me an
estimate of typical monthly downloads with various patterns of usage, or point
me to website which will give me the information.

I have daughters who have just moved into a new house and I am considering a
PAYG type package, such as Metronet - I am trying to ascertain whether this will
be more economical than a fixed price capped package.

One daughter surfs, uses IM and email. The other just surfs and uses email.
Neither are into p2p or streaming. Both have got used to BB (ntl 750k) at home
and will not like going back to dial-up.

Given those usage patterns, I'd doubt they'd exceed a 1GB a month (the
included allowance on a 1Gbps service from Metronet).

I'd say 300 - 500MB a month (ish).

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old February 23rd 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
JPG wrote:
[...]

Hi

I have been with Metronet since changing to them in Oct. No problems realy
todate and very cost effective. Personally I would go for the 1M service as
its only a £1 or so more and the limit before charging I think is higher.
I work from home so use the net a lot and VOIP for all my daytime calls and
my bills are rarely over £18.

Ian

Old February 24th 05, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Metronet is only cheaper with very, very low usage, and I would expect your
usage to soon edge up to 1GB.
I would suggest PlusNet Lite (it may now be called PAYG) @ £14.99 p/m with
1GB included,
you will get 2Mbs service and soon free upgrade up to 8Mbs (if your phone
line is good enough).
PlusNet recently has won two awards for reliability and customer service.
If you do go with PlusNet please use my id 'jerryw' as a referrer and save
me 25p,
thanks,
regards,
Martin