How much CAN you download?

Old February 23rd 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

Default How much CAN you download?

These dudes who download 150gb+ a mo, and keep on doing it. I wonder
what there is left to download and what they do with the data?

I'm not criticising, just wondering!

I only got BB in Nov last year, after years of dreaming of it. Of
course, I went download bonkers in the first six weeks. Downloaded any
old ****e as long as it was big. Even then, on a 2mb pipe I only did
75gb.

This month I've done 4gb so far, admittedly I've been away for 8 days
in russia......

And I got an 80gb + a 130gb HDD is this mac, cos of all the crap I
downloaded. I copied some to DVD but it takes ages and DVDs in my
experience soon get buggered and unreliable for restore.

So I got a 160gb for more crap.

Let alone managing it all.

So, whats the score guys?

Ste

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old February 23rd 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:46:41 +0000, Ste Kearney
wrote:

These dudes who download 150gb+ a mo, and keep on doing it. I wonder
what there is left to download and what they do with the data?

I'm not criticising, just wondering!

I only got BB in Nov last year, after years of dreaming of it. Of
course, I went download bonkers in the first six weeks. Downloaded any
old ****e as long as it was big. Even then, on a 2mb pipe I only did
75gb.

This month I've done 4gb so far, admittedly I've been away for 8 days
in russia......

And I got an 80gb + a 130gb HDD is this mac, cos of all the crap I
downloaded. I copied some to DVD but it takes ages and DVDs in my
experience soon get buggered and unreliable for restore.

So I got a 160gb for more crap.

Let alone managing it all.

So, whats the score guys?

Ste

IMHO it's like the employees on the production line at the Mars
factory who can eat as much as they want - so they do.

Or people who drive at 60mph down single track country lanes, because
that's the legal speed limit.

Each to his or her own, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

Jake

Old February 23rd 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BurnyŽ

wrote:

These dudes who download 150gb+ a mo, and keep on doing it. I wonder
what there is left to download and what they do with the data?

I'm not criticising, just wondering!

I burn mine to dvdr

I only got BB in Nov last year, after years of dreaming of it. Of
course, I went download bonkers in the first six weeks. Downloaded any
old ****e as long as it was big. Even then, on a 2mb pipe I only did
75gb.

This month I've done 4gb so far, admittedly I've been away for 8 days
in russia......

And I got an 80gb + a 130gb HDD is this mac, cos of all the crap I
downloaded. I copied some to DVD but it takes ages and DVDs in my
experience soon get buggered and unreliable for restore.

You must be buying crap media then ...i have got dvdr over 2 years old
that work fine ...Where do you store yours outside in the rain ?
7 1/2 minutes is ages at 8 x for 4 gig ...you must be very impatient

So I got a 160gb for more crap.

Let alone managing it all.

So, whats the score guys?

I dunno whats the match?

Ste

Old February 23rd 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

IMHO it's like the employees on the production line at the Mars
factory who can eat as much as they want - so they do.

Interestingly, the Terrys factory in York had a policy that allowed staff to
eat as much chocolate as they liked, on the basis that they would for a day,
then feel ill and stop almost completely. So the policy worked.

I spoke once with an old personnel manager who explained that they assumed a
sick day early on in an employee's job on the assumption that they would
have chronic indigestion or be throwing up.

Old February 24th 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mo

I used to download tons of stuff in the past, but I have slowed down now

As someone pointed out - i usually just download american TV shows and stuff
i have missed......

i would be interested in streaming media -it would take a lot of bandwith
but i dont see it happening when most streams r already ****e ATM.

Old February 24th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

And I got an 80gb + a 130gb HDD is this mac, cos of all the crap I
downloaded. I copied some to DVD but it takes ages and DVDs in my
experience soon get buggered and unreliable for restore.

You must be buying crap media then ...i have got dvdr over 2 years old
that work fine ...Where do you store yours outside in the rain ?
7 /2 minutes is ages at 8 x for 4 gig ...you must be very impatient

Well I should qualify - i got five kids.......

They end up borrowed and scrached to high heaven. I only got 4x tho -
Mac, and I can only really go at 2x with toast, god knows wwhy....

But why is it retail DVD's are more scratch resistent? DVD-r u only
need to drop it and it has a great gouge across it.

But it's not that it's deciding what to REALLY keep and ****ing about
filling 4.3gb and then maybe I should keep on HDD in case I need it
quick and do I need to verify the DVD-R just to be sure.

And shall I keep the .rar's I d/l'd just in case?

And the dmg, just in case?

I;m a fukin hoarder - ****......

So I got a 160gb for more crap.

Let alone managing it all.

So, whats the score guys?

I dunno whats the match?

United 0-1 Milan Excellent!!

Ste

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old February 24th 05, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Bob C" wrote in message
IMHO it's like the employees on the production line at the Mars
factory who can eat as much as they want - so they do.

Interestingly, the Terrys factory in York had a policy that allowed staff
to eat as much chocolate as they liked, on the basis that they would for a
day, then feel ill and stop almost completely. So the policy worked.

I spoke once with an old personnel manager who explained that they assumed
a sick day early on in an employee's job on the assumption that they would
have chronic indigestion or be throwing up.

IIRC Cadbury's girls are allowed to eat as many chocolates as they like as
long as none leaves the factory. One girl at least says she takes the
occasional one evey day and still enjoys them. The management are happy
because because it's a free form of quality monitoring.

(kim)

Old February 24th 05, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Ste Kearney" wrote in message
news:2005022400275975249%[email protected]
And I got an 80gb + a 130gb HDD is this mac, cos of all the crap I
downloaded. I copied some to DVD but it takes ages and DVDs in my
experience soon get buggered and unreliable for restore.

You must be buying crap media then ...i have got dvdr over 2 years old
that work fine ...Where do you store yours outside in the rain ?
7 /2 minutes is ages at 8 x for 4 gig ...you must be very impatient

Well I should qualify - i got five kids.......

They end up borrowed and scrached to high heaven. I only got 4x tho - Mac,
and I can only really go at 2x with toast, god knows wwhy....

But why is it retail DVD's are more scratch resistent? DVD-r u only need
to drop it and it has a great gouge across it.

TDK make a 'scratch-resistant' blank DVD .

(kim)

Old February 24th 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Ste Kearney" wrote in message
news:2005022322464116807%[email protected]
These dudes who download 150gb+ a mo, and keep on doing it. I wonder what
there is left to download and what they do with the data?

I'm not criticising, just wondering!

DVD-R's at 4.3GB a time, mostly titles I wouldn't dream of buying at retail.
Doesn't take long to use up any allocation. Mercifully AOL has been
unlimited, so far.

(kim)

Old February 24th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"kim" wrote in message
"Bob C" wrote in message
IMHO it's like the employees on the production line at the Mars
factory who can eat as much as they want - so they do.

Interestingly, the Terrys factory in York had a policy that allowed staff
to eat as much chocolate as they liked, on the basis that they would for
a day, then feel ill and stop almost completely. So the policy worked.

I spoke once with an old personnel manager who explained that they
assumed a sick day early on in an employee's job on the assumption that
they would have chronic indigestion or be throwing up.

IIRC Cadbury's girls are allowed to eat as many chocolates as they like as
long as none leaves the factory. One girl at least says she takes the
occasional one evey day and still enjoys them. The management are happy
because because it's a free form of quality monitoring.

I was at Cadbury's last summer - everyone I chatted to on the tour said they
can stand eating chocolate any more.

Dan