Set-up Woes

Old February 24th 05, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Set-up Woes

I'll apologise right up front for this, it's probably a really stupid
question, but...

First, here's the situation:

1) I've signed up for broadband with Zetnet, and this rural area has
only recently got it. I had a visit from a BT engineer last week, it
was supposed to be switched on yesterday (Wednesday) or earlier.

2) Zetnet tell me that the switch on has been delayed, but can't tell
me why, or for how long. They have not yet given me account details.

3) I have a new D-Link DSL-G604T Router and a reasonably new laptop. If
I follow the set up instructions in the book, the 'ADSL' light glows
steady green when the Router's ADSL cable is plugged into the
microfilter, and a dialling tone from a phone without a microfilter
in-line is 'mushy'. Dialling tone is normal when the Router is
unplugged.

OK, here's my questions please:

a) From the description above, is Broadband actually switched on? If
the Router ADSL light isn't a valid indication, is there any other test
I can do to tell please?

b) ADSL aside, although this is a wireless Router, the setup is done
with an Ethernet cable. When I connect the Router to the PC, the 'Local
Area Connection' icon continues to have a cross through it. Does all
this only 'come alive' when Broadband is connected? IWHT that the
router function would operate irrespecive of whether the ADSL was
connected at all, but from what I can see, there is no communication
between the PC and Router at all. I know nothing about LAN's and their
ilk, but I suspect either my understanding about what a Router is is
seriously flawed, or there is something very simple and basic that I
haven't done, or both :-). I don't think this is a hardware fault.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Paul.

Old February 24th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Paul wrote:
I'll apologise right up front for this, it's probably a really stupid
question, but...

Well, ***'s Law, just after posting that, I tried using the LAN cable
that came with the PC, et voila! So, did the Router come with a dodgy
LAN cable, or are there LAN cables and LAN cables...?

Regards,

Paul.

Old February 24th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StuartM

..
"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You could try this:

if you login with the username [email protected]_domain, and go to the
URL http://speedtester.bt.com you will be able to run a speed test of your
connection over BTs network.

No password is needed.

Old February 24th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RD

Hi Paul,
"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul wrote:
I'll apologise right up front for this, it's probably a really stupid
question, but...

Well, ***'s Law, just after posting that, I tried using the LAN cable
that came with the PC, et voila! So, did the Router come with a dodgy
LAN cable, or are there LAN cables and LAN cables...?

Short answer is yup:-) There are crossover cables and direct ones
usually the crossover cables are used to link 2 computers together
in a peer to peer sertup, direct cables are used from computer to
hob or router..

Sounds as if you were using the wrong type 1st off. Another thing is
that 'some' routers have both types of port AFAIK, I'd look at your
router manual and see if it has both types. But if you were using the
cable that came with the router, and had it plugged into the required
port the probability is that the cable is knackered rather than the wrong
type..

Regards,
Cliff

Old February 24th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

RD wrote:
Short answer is yup:-) There are crossover cables and direct ones
usually the crossover cables are used to link 2 computers together
in a peer to peer sertup, direct cables are used from computer to
hob or router..

Sounds as if you were using the wrong type 1st off. Another thing is
that 'some' routers have both types of port AFAIK, I'd look at your
router manual and see if it has both types. But if you were using the
cable that came with the router, and had it plugged into the required
port the probability is that the cable is knackered rather than the

wrong
type..

Thanks Cliff.

Weird thing is, I've since used an Ohmeter on both cables, and have
found there is a 1 to 1 correlation between the pins on both cables, in
the same way, with no shorts. Both cables and their plugs look to be in
new condition. I've swapped cables a dozen times; one always works, the
other never works. The only physical difference I can see is that one
is black :-), and has one of those cylindrical whatssits on it, which I
have always assumed to be something to do with radio noise suppression,
but I'm not sure.

Now I'm REALLY baffled... Anyway, at least I can something out of it
now. But I'd like to know why only one works.

Regards,

Paul.

Old February 24th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart M

"StuartM" wrote in message
.
"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

On reading that, I think I should elaborate. You can use this test without
going through an ISP. So put the username in to Dial up Network connection
or router (as you would with your isp username) and you may be able to visit
just this one page.

Old February 24th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RD

Hi Paul,
"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
[snip]
Weird thing is, I've since used an Ohmeter on both cables, and have
found there is a 1 to 1 correlation between the pins on both cables, in
the same way, with no shorts. Both cables and their plugs look to be in
new condition. I've swapped cables a dozen times; one always works, the
other never works. The only physical difference I can see is that one
is black :-), and has one of those cylindrical whatssits on it, which I
have always assumed to be something to do with radio noise suppression,
but I'm not sure.

Did you check for shorts between conductors? really need a megger, but
an AVO will show a dead short or vlres:-)

Yup the tubular sheathed part is for noise reduction or similar AFAIK,
is it on the one that works or the one that doesnt? Dont think it should
affect the impedance of the cable normally. Then there are the ethernet
plugs at each end, if one isnt making good contact on every conductor
it will show faulty..

Now I'm REALLY baffled... Anyway, at least I can something out of it
now. But I'd like to know why only one works.

Tut, tut idle curiosity:-), seriously its a pita when a seemingly ok bit of
kit
just doesnt work.... But thats life in the days of the black box
circuit..One
can never be quite sure whats causing the problem until checking damm
near the whole lot:-(

Gone are the days of split half circuit checking with a con tester...Now
you need to check impedance on multiple path circuits and components..
No wonder so much kit just gets dumped in the bin, its often cheaper
to buy a new one than diagnose & repair the faulty bit of kit.

Regards,
Cliff

Old February 24th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Stuart M wrote:

On reading that, I think I should elaborate. You can use this test

without
going through an ISP. So put the username in to Dial up Network

connection
or router (as you would with your isp username) and you may be able

to visit
just this one page.

Yes, that was understood thanks Stuart. In the end I had my sign-on
details and used http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp.

But the site you er, cite could be really useful in the future.

Regards,

Paul.

Old February 24th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

RD wrote:
Did you check for shorts between conductors?

Yes, as best I could.

Yup the tubular sheathed part is for noise reduction or similar

AFAIK,
is it on the one that works or the one that doesnt?

It's on the one that works, which does (as far as these things can)
appear to be a better quality item.

Dont think it should
affect the impedance of the cable normally. Then there are the

ethernet
plugs at each end, if one isnt making good contact on every conductor
it will show faulty..

I think that must be it, even though the pins look fine to the naked
eye.

Gone are the days of split half circuit checking with a con

tester...Now
you need to check impedance on multiple path circuits and

components..
No wonder so much kit just gets dumped in the bin, its often cheaper
to buy a new one than diagnose & repair the faulty bit of kit.

Sadly true, Cliff.

Anyway, thanks both for your help. All seems well now, except OE which
keeps trying to dial up. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul.

Old February 24th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Paul wrote:

Anyway, thanks both for your help. All seems well now, except OE

which
keeps trying to dial up. Any ideas?

Sorted.

It was because although I had correctly set the Tools/Option/Connection
values, I had not set the values at
Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties/Connection.

That's me done, I think :-)

Regards,

Paul