Torrents

Old February 24th 05, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default Torrents

Is there a way of increasing the download speed beyond your upload limit?

Old February 24th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Grumps" wrote in message
Is there a way of increasing the download speed beyond your upload limit?

Yes. You have to limit your upload speed to about 80% of its capacity to
avoid saturating your connection. Your download can then be several times
your upload speed with certain files only. I can get up to 55KB/s down with
an up limit of 20KB/s. It doesn't work with some files though. The latest
beta test version of Bittorrent automatically throttles uploads to 80% but
is unstable on my PC. There are alternative bittorrent clients available
with throttle control but I use the standard BT client in conjunction with
NetLimiter to achieve the same result.

(kim)

Old February 24th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"kim" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
Is there a way of increasing the download speed beyond your upload

limit?

Yes. You have to limit your upload speed to about 80% of its capacity to
avoid saturating your connection. Your download can then be several times
your upload speed with certain files only. I can get up to 55KB/s down

with
an up limit of 20KB/s. It doesn't work with some files though. The latest
beta test version of Bittorrent automatically throttles uploads to 80% but
is unstable on my PC. There are alternative bittorrent clients available
with throttle control but I use the standard BT client in conjunction with
NetLimiter to achieve the same result.

I've been using Bittorrent and Bitcomet, but have never managed a download
greater than about 30kB/s.
I'm wondering if there is any point upgrading to a 1, 2 or 8MB ADSL. I know
some web d/loads will be faster, and browsing will show an improvement,
but...

Old February 24th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Grumps" wrote in message
"kim" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 512 downstream/256 upstream adsl connection and use ABC Bittorrent
Client.

By a process of trial and error i've found that setting an upload maximum of
24KB/s gives me the best download speeds.
A well seeded torrent often downloads at 50KB/s or a little bit more.

Martin.

Old February 24th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Grumps" wrote in message
"kim" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
[...]

My connection is only 256/512k but I still manage 55KB/s from the best
downloads, often the latest episode of a popular TV series.

(kim)

Old February 24th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

I am on the 1 meg and I can get 116 Kbs download.

Like the other person said throttle the upload to 80% of maximum speed.
(normal I set it at 20 - 25 Kbs)

I use bitcomet and It's the best one I have found after trying many
different ones.

"kim" wrote in message

Old February 24th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Grumps wrote:

I've been using Bittorrent and Bitcomet, but have never managed a download
greater than about 30kB/s.
I'm wondering if there is any point upgrading to a 1, 2 or 8MB ADSL.

The only thing I use BitTorrent (actually Azureus) for is Linux CD/DVD
..iso files, so long as I limit uploads to about 20KB/s I can download
over 110KB/s on 1Mb/s ADSL once it gets going ...
Old February 24th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"It's Me" wrote in message
"kim" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
"kim" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, it seems as if it was my own stupidity. I hadn't enabled UPnP on my
router (running BitComet). I'm now getting 56kB/s on a 500k ADSL.

Old February 24th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

I'm on 2Mb and a few torrents, normally well seeded torrents and normally
from uknova.com come down at 220Kb/s. I have to set my upload to 15kb/s
otherwise it severely effects my download.

If you are usuing a firewall try opening the bitorrent ports, I believe them
to be 6881-6999.

Dan

Old February 24th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

Grumps wrote:
Is there a way of increasing the download speed beyond your upload limit?

Personally, I don't see the point in being able to download any faster
then you're able to upload, because I always seed my torrents so that
I've shared 100+% of what I've downloaded.
Downloading fast is great, but you're still going to be waiting for your
torrents to seed (and I hope you DO seed your torrents!)
I still like my 1 megabit down / 256kbps up, if only for downloading
large files via HTTP and FTP.

Anton