Should I be able to get faster than 512kb?

Old February 24th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

Default Should I be able to get faster than 512kb?

According to my router my attenuation is 48.5, according to the Pipex
website and also the BT broadband checker my line only supports 512kb,
is this right? I thought the limits were higher now.

With the new pricing announced by Pipex, if I can't get at least 1mb
then I may as well switch to a cheaper ISP, as there seems to be no
indication that Pipex will drop the price for anyone that can't be
upgraded.

Is it worth braving the Pipex support line or am I wasting my time?

I did try emailing them before Christmas to ask them, I'm still waiting
for a reply :-\
--
Sean Black
Old February 24th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sean Black" wrote in message
According to my router my attenuation is 48.5, according to the Pipex
website and also the BT broadband checker my line only supports 512kb, is
this right? I thought the limits were higher now.

With the new pricing announced by Pipex, if I can't get at least 1mb then
I may as well switch to a cheaper ISP, as there seems to be no indication
that Pipex will drop the price for anyone that can't be upgraded.

What is your SNR reading?

It does sound as if you should be able to get 1MB..

Regards
Sunil

Old February 24th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Sean Black" wrote in message
According to my router my attenuation is 48.5, according to the Pipex
website and also the BT broadband checker my line only supports 512kb, is
this right? I thought the limits were higher now.

With the new pricing announced by Pipex, if I can't get at least 1mb then
I may as well switch to a cheaper ISP, as there seems to be no indication
that Pipex will drop the price for anyone that can't be upgraded.

Is it worth braving the Pipex support line or am I wasting my time?

Ring them. It'll take around 5 - 15 mins on hold (based on the 3 calls I've
made in the past 6 days) before you speak to someone. If you decide to
migrate, expect another 10 - 20 mins going through the MAC request process
where you get asked questions about why you're moving, who you're going to,
and pointing out the new pricing to try to get you to stay, then up to 72
hours for the MAC to arrive by email (I'm on 24 now, expecting mine Saturday
....).

I did try emailing them before Christmas to ask them, I'm still waiting
for a reply :-\

Waste of time emailing them.

Dan

Old February 24th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Sunil Sood
writes

"Sean Black" wrote in message
According to my router my attenuation is 48.5, according to the Pipex
website and also the BT broadband checker my line only supports 512kb, is
this right? I thought the limits were higher now.

With the new pricing announced by Pipex, if I can't get at least 1mb then
I may as well switch to a cheaper ISP, as there seems to be no indication
that Pipex will drop the price for anyone that can't be upgraded.

What is your SNR reading?

At work at the moment, I'll check when I get home. What does it need to
be?

It does sound as if you should be able to get 1MB..

Fingers crossed then.

--
Sean Black
Old February 24th 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Spack
writes
"Sean Black" wrote in message
[...]

...).

Luckily in the three years I've been with them, I've only had to ring
them once :-)

I did try emailing them before Christmas to ask them, I'm still waiting
for a reply :-\

Waste of time emailing them.

As I've found out ;-)

--
Sean Black
Old February 24th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

stick yer phone number in here - it'll tell you

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Old February 24th 05, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Sean Black" wrote in message
Luckily in the three years I've been with them, I've only had to ring them
once :-)

Same for me, except for the past week. I've been with them almost 3 years (1
month to go), only had to ring once when I first had ADSL running, ended up
having to have the cable from the eaves to the master socket replaced by BT,
since then it's been great. Shame they aren't offering options to compete
with the cheaper ISPs that seem to have good customer service.

Dan

Old February 24th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Jim
writes
stick yer phone number in here - it'll tell you

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

It tells me I can get broadband, which I know, obviously, because I've
already got it. It doesn't tell me if I can get anything faster than
512kb.

--
Sean Black
Old February 24th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Jim wrote:
: stick yer phone number in here - it'll tell you

: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

There seems something *VERY* wrong with the samknows database. It says there
that I cannot get 1 or 2Mbs. This was true on the *OLD* rules but now
recently.

The BT checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband seems to give the correct
answer (which matches the actual attenuation and S/N readings on my line).
Old February 24th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CGA

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
: stick yer phone number in here - it'll tell you

: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

There seems something *VERY* wrong with the samknows database. It says
there
that I cannot get 1 or 2Mbs. This was true on the *OLD* rules but now
recently.

The BT checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband seems to give the
correct
answer (which matches the actual attenuation and S/N readings on my
line).

The samknows checker seems up to date for me, up untill recently it said
i may be able to get 1meg with an engineer visit, and now it's saying i
can get 2meg (but i doubt that).