New BB connection - problems

Old February 24th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GeoffH

Default New BB connection - problems

Hello all,
W98SE & Speedtouch modem
We have just managed to get the Speedtouch software to install after 4
attempts, 2 of these causing W98 to loose some drivers and refuse to
boot necessitating 2 re-installs, and on the final attempt having to
manually find ISDN.dll and ATMUI.dll files.
All is working - why did we wait so long?
The speed is fantastic compared to 56k.
Cannot find any way to connect or disconnect the BB modem from taskbar
icon.
Two problems exist though.
Our BB is with Eclipse, but our email and newsgroup access is with
BTAnytime or whatever they call themselves now.
How can I still use the BT account without having to disconnect BB.?
If all goes well I will be cancelling BTAnytime and go to PAYG for
once a day email and ng connections.
I still need to use BT to send email.
Any help appreciated.
Is there any decent ng server we could use.

Geoff Halstead
Trustee
Charity for African Education
Helping education in Africa
www.africaneducation.org
Old February 24th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TP

If all goes well I will be cancelling BTAnytime and go to PAYG for
once a day email and ng connections.
I still need to use BT to send email.
Any help appreciated.
Is there any decent ng server we could use.

As I've just discussed in another thread, I used to be on BT dialup.. now
with Metronet broadband, but I've kept the BT email address by downgrading
to their 1.50/month premium mail service which you can access from any
provider. It won't cost any more than the PAYG option (if you have minimum
call charge of 5p, 1.50 is easily covered by your daily dialup), and is
surely less hassle than maintaining two accounts and two modems etc etc.

Not sure about ng access.. I use my new provider for that. Doesn't Eclipse
provide a news server?

Old February 24th 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dgibbon

Geoff

as far as i know you should still be able to access email and
newsgroups.
All you've done is swap dialup for broadband

I recently changed from NTL dialup and boltblue email to a BT
broadband connection, BT broadband came with a btinternet email
account, i simple just made a small configuration to ms outlook, now i
can check and download email from both email accounts

Dave
Old February 26th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GeoffH

As I've just discussed in another thread, I used to be on BT dialup.. now
with Metronet broadband, but I've kept the BT email address by downgrading
to their 1.50/month premium mail service which you can access from any
provider. It won't cost any more than the PAYG option (if you have minimum
call charge of 5p, 1.50 is easily covered by your daily dialup), and is
surely less hassle than maintaining two accounts and two modems etc etc.

Thanks TP.
Will do as you have done.

Not sure about ng access.. I use my new provider for that. Doesn't Eclipse
provide a news server?

Yes they do.
Have just found details on their site.
GeoffH

Old February 26th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GeoffH

as far as i know you should still be able to access email and
newsgroups.
All you've done is swap dialup for broadband

Fiddled with settings as you did, and all working OK now.
It's been a long time that I had to dive into these setting, and I was
a little rusty.
Cheers
GeoffH
Old February 28th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GeoffH

Hello TP,

. . . . but I've kept the BT email address by downgrading
to their 1.50/month premium mail service which you can access from any
provider.

Where on the bt site did you find out about this service?
I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
Can find how to cancel Anytime though.
Cheers
Geoff