Speed and line quality question

Old February 24th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Speed and line quality question

Before you order broadband is there any way (perhaps a utility) to check
what the attenuation, SNR, etc is on a phone line? and if so how?

Also can someone recommend a site that lists the values of the SNR etc to
give an idea of the maximum speed that can be had on a particular line.

A friend wants broadband and while broadband checkers say he should be able
to have upto 2meg, he would like to have more of an idea about the quality
of his own line and how likely it is that he can have 2meg first. To me it
seemed if he can find out all the noise etc readings on his line and then
find a site that states what the minimum and maximum figures are for say
2meg, it would save time as he would be more sure what speed he can go
upto.

Old February 24th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:24:32 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

Before you order broadband is there any way (perhaps a utility) to check
what the attenuation, SNR, etc is on a phone line? and if so how?

No.

You can only tell by carrying out the tests they used to do when you
ordered it, or by actually getting ADLS and looking at the figures
your router produces.

Also can someone recommend a site that lists the values of the SNR etc to
give an idea of the maximum speed that can be had on a particular line.

A friend wants broadband and while broadband checkers say he should be able
to have upto 2meg, he would like to have more of an idea about the quality
of his own line and how likely it is that he can have 2meg first. To me it
seemed if he can find out all the noise etc readings on his line and then
find a site that states what the minimum and maximum figures are for say
2meg, it would save time as he would be more sure what speed he can go
upto.

Sorry, can't be done without ordering.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm as bored as a pacifist's pistol.

Old February 25th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

news
wrote:

Before you order broadband is there any way (perhaps a utility) to check
what the attenuation, SNR, etc is on a phone line? and if so how?

No.

You can only tell by carrying out the tests they used to do when you
ordered it, or by actually getting ADLS and looking at the figures
your router produces.

Thats what i thought, however i did think it worth asking, you never no
when someone may have come up with a clever util or similar

Also can someone recommend a site that lists the values of the SNR etc

give an idea of the maximum speed that can be had on a particular line.

A friend wants broadband and while broadband checkers say he should be

able
to have upto 2meg, he would like to have more of an idea about the

quality
of his own line and how likely it is that he can have 2meg first. To me

it
seemed if he can find out all the noise etc readings on his line and

then
find a site that states what the minimum and maximum figures are for say
2meg, it would save time as he would be more sure what speed he can go
upto.

Sorry, can't be done without ordering.

Ah ok, thanks Alex, have you a rough guide as to what levels are needed on
a line for a 1 or 2meg broadband connection?
As there is no way to tell if his line will support 2 meg for sure at the
moment he will probably go for 512k to begin with, once he has that he
should obviously know his SNR etc, through the software/hardware of the
modem, what figures should he be looking at to give a better idea of the
type of speed he can go up to?
Basically im asking all this as the actual volume through the ear piece on
his phone seems a bit quiet to me, although it is clear and doesnt seem to
be noisy.

Old February 25th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:01:43 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Well at the moment, the attenuation limits are 43dB for 2Mb and 60dB
for 2Mb.

For SNR, AIUI, you need a value at least in double figures to be
reasonably sure of 1Mb, but I'm not sure how much higher for 2Mb.

I'm hoping they relax those numbers slightly, so I can get 1Mb when
MaxDSL comes along - I have 61dB attenuation, and 18.5dB SNR. (It is
the downstream numbers that matter)

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Puns are bad, but poetry is verse.

Old February 25th 05, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:01:43 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for that infomation Alex, ive made a note of it and will let my
friend know )
I imagine there is a site around somewhere which covers all these figures
and things in more detail, but ive yet to find it, if i do i will be sure
to post to let you know though as you have a slight interest with regards
to getting 1meg.
Again thanks

Old February 25th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

A friend wants broadband and while broadband checkers say he should be able
to have upto 2meg, he would like to have more of an idea about the quality
of his own line and how likely it is that he can have 2meg first.

if the checker says he can have 2M then he can have it. The
probability of failure is low as the limits are set conservative. If
it didn't work there would be no charge and 1M could be purchased
instead.

Phil

Old February 25th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

A friend wants broadband and while broadband checkers say he should be

able
to have upto 2meg, he would like to have more of an idea about the

quality
of his own line and how likely it is that he can have 2meg first.

if the checker says he can have 2M then he can have it. The
probability of failure is low as the limits are set conservative. If
it didn't work there would be no charge and 1M could be purchased
instead.

Ok thanks for that my only concern was how quiet the volume on his line
is

Old February 25th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:06:50 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

my only concern was how quiet the volume on his line
is

?

that's a voice issue. ADSL is much higher frequency. Little
correlation.

Phil

Old February 25th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

my only concern was how quiet the volume on his line
is

?

that's a voice issue. ADSL is much higher frequency. Little
correlation.

Ah ok, thanks again, it has been passed on, guess its up to him now whether
he goes 2mb or regular 512k