ADSL modem double adapter!

Old February 24th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gazzer

Default ADSL modem double adapter!

Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem as we currently need to keep plugging and
unplugging depending who wants to use the Broadband.

Dont want a network etc and dont want to use the PCs online at the
same time.

Thnx in advance.
Old February 24th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

"Gazzer" wrote in message
Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem as we currently need to keep plugging and
unplugging depending who wants to use the Broadband.

Dont want a network etc and dont want to use the PCs online at the
same time.

Thnx in advance.

ADSL router, with an Ethernet switch built in.
Then you need Ethernet cards in the PCs

Old February 24th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem as we currently need to keep plugging and
unplugging depending who wants to use the Broadband.

Dont want a network etc and dont want to use the PCs online at the
same time.

You haven't said how you are connecting the modem to the PCs....

If it's by Ethernet, then a cheap hub (less than a tenner) will do what you
need, although you may not be able to have the other PC switched on at the
same time...

Old February 24th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

(Gazzer) wrote in :

Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem

No.

--
Colin
Old February 24th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

You'd need a router with a 4 port switch and a modem in it as you probably
have a USB modem.

This one will do fine -- (Ebuyer.co.uk) http://tinyurl.com/3pcqy

The router would be your modem.. with 1 meter (upto 100 meter) cabling
between the PC's and the router. Ebuyer also sell short cables and network
card for each pc if you need them.

You could try using a USB hub (unpowered). This should allow each PC to be
connected.. but only used at any one time.
Then again.. it may not work at all.

Maybe someone could shed some light on the USB hub thing.. maybe give it a
go?

Doz

Old February 24th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Gazzer says...
Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem as we currently need to keep plugging and
unplugging depending who wants to use the Broadband.

Dont want a network etc and dont want to use the PCs online at the
same time.

If you don't want to network then you're a bit fooked.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 24th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:04:17 GMT, "Doz"
wrote:

You'd need a router with a 4 port switch and a modem in it as you probably
have a USB modem.

This one will do fine -- (Ebuyer.co.uk) http://tinyurl.com/3pcqy

The router would be your modem.. with 1 meter (upto 100 meter) cabling
between the PC's and the router. Ebuyer also sell short cables and network
card for each pc if you need them.

You could try using a USB hub (unpowered). This should allow each PC to be
connected.. but only used at any one time.
Then again.. it may not work at all.

Maybe someone could shed some light on the USB hub thing.. maybe give it a
go?

That's the wrong way round, it would need a USB switch (2 PCs to one
device), especially as two PCs driving the USB modem would clash if
you connected through a hub.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old February 25th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

This may be what he is getting at:

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...~WW~/index.htm

BELKIN 4X4 USB PERIPHERAL AUTO SWITCH

The Belkin 4x4 USB Peripheral Switch (the Switch) lets you access four USB
devices - such as printers, cameras, scanners, and external hard drives -
from up to four computers simultaneously. This convenient design gives you
immediate access to your USB devices through both a push button and through
an easy-to-use Switch software. It keeps all your devices available without
your having to detach and reconnect them from one computer to another, and
gives you the option of using them all from a single computer or assigning
each device to any of the connected computers. Based on USB Plug-and-Play
technology, the Switch makes managing your systems simpler and easier than
ever. The Switch features LEDs to indicate which port is being accessed by
which computer, as well as connection status alerts to prevent accidental
switching of a USB device during data transfers. When printing to a USB
1.1-compliant printer, the Switch automatically switches the printer to the
appropriate computer.

Personally I would use a router to do the job.

Phill H

Old February 25th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Gazzer:
Is there such a thing as a double adapter that allows you to plug 2
PCs into one ADSL modem as we currently need to keep plugging and
unplugging depending who wants to use the Broadband.

Dont want a network etc and dont want to use the PCs online at the
same time.

Thnx in advance.

Adsl modem and 4 port router: ebuyer.co.uk item: 48449 28