Scheduling Broadband Question ....

Old February 24th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

Default Scheduling Broadband Question ....

I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

TIA,

JohnK
Old February 24th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Brian Morrison wrote:
John F Kappler wrote:
I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

Why do want to do that may I ask? Isn't the whole point of
broadband the always-on nature of it?

Perhaps to stop people using it who shouldn't be..? From the times given
I'd guess at a work location..?

However, why is immaterial. I don't know of a way of actually inhibiting a
connect at any particular time, but there are certainly programs available
that will block access to the net at specified times, aimed primarily at
parents who want to control their offspring's access.

Ivor

Old February 24th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John F Kappler" wrote in message
I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

I don't think you will find an ISP offering this facility - however several
ADSL modem/routers allow you to set "rules" based on the time of day.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 24th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Brian Morrison wrote:
John F Kappler wrote:
I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

How about using a powered router and then control the power supply ?

Phill H

Old February 24th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart M

"P H" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Brian Morrison wrote:
John F Kappler wrote:
I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

How about using a powered router and then control the power supply ?

why not just use a router with a call time schedule?

Old February 24th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:26:40 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"John F Kappler" wrote in message
I'm assuming that it is technically practical so.....

Is there an ISP out there that allows you to schedule when your
Broadband connection is available?

I'd like to be able to switch mine off at user-defined times, for
instance 00.01 to 17.00 Monday to Friday!

I don't think you will find an ISP offering this facility - however several
ADSL modem/routers allow you to set "rules" based on the time of day.

Regards
Sunil

Thanks for all your replies. I will consider scheduling the router,
but as I'm not at the location the broadband is used from it might
well get bypassed (or a different router substituted!).

I'm just trying to manage the usage of the connection :-(

JohnK
Old February 25th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

"John F Kappler" wrote in message

I'm just trying to manage the usage of the connection :-(

Try talking to http://www.lcbroadband.com/. They may be able to do something
for you.