Thank you BT Broadband

Old February 24th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Thank you BT Broadband

It's rather rare for me to pass compliments. But the following is deserved.

For several years I have been accustomed to receiving 300 or more spam items
each day. The usual rubbish including masses of porn.

I use Windows-98, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. I have no anti-spam
software. I have the free AVG anti-virus program.

A few months back I changed to BT Broadband, the 24 per month version.

The amount of spam has progressively fallen drastically to about 1 item per
day.

I am not aware that any genuine e-mails, correctly adressed to me, fail to
get through.

What few spam items appear are mostly high-quality, genuine, no-catch,
commercial adverts with the occasional Nigerian solicitor trying to get rid
of 1000,000 in some fictitious deceased person's will.

BT Broadband - I don't know how you did it, but THANK YOU very much.
----
Reg.

Old February 24th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
[...]

When you changed to BT you probably ended up with a new email address. That
is why you are not getting spam.
Nothing BT has done.

Old February 24th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TP

When you changed to BT you probably ended up with a new email address.
That
is why you are not getting spam.
Nothing BT has done.

No, the man is right. BT's spamtrap is like nothing I've ever seen. I used
to get 100+ per day (on the same BT address) before turning on the trap
about, what, a year ago. Since then, I've had less than 1 genuine spam email
per week, and have only found less than five even vaguely genuine emails (eg
adverts I've signed up for) when scanning the trashcan occasionally. I've
never been told by a sender that I've lost a genuine mail, so certainly
nothing important has gone missing.

Even when I migrated from BT when I switched from dialup to broadband ('cos
of what look like broadband charges scandalously out of step with the rest
of the industry), I continued to pay for their 1.50 a month Premium Mail
service. Heartily impressed with it.

Old February 24th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:47:53 -0000, ["BIGEYE"
] said :-

[...]

Actually - when BT joined in with Yahoo, the Yahoo spamguard system
was deployed to the BT mail addresses. This has been an extremely
effective system, in the region of 95% or higher for spam blocking. It
is better than the previous Brightmail system BT used.

There are the odd false positives - which can probably be expected.
Old February 24th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RD

Hi TP,
"TP" wrote in message

When you changed to BT you probably ended up with a new email address.
That
is why you are not getting spam.
Nothing BT has done.

No, the man is right. BT's spamtrap is like nothing I've ever seen. I used
to get 100+ per day (on the same BT address) before turning on the trap
about, what, a year ago. Since then, I've had less than 1 genuine spam
email per week, and have only found less than five even vaguely genuine
emails (eg adverts I've signed up for) when scanning the trashcan
occasionally. I've never been told by a sender that I've lost a genuine
mail, so certainly nothing important has gone missing.

Just be carefull it doesnt start storing them in your mailbox instead of
deleting them,
cos if it does AFAIR you get charged if you end up using more than a set
amount
of mbx space.. When I was moved from BTO to BTY all of a sudden my mail
decreased to sub 1 per day from about 80.. when I checked the BTY setup
they had auto enabled their spamtrap, which had been disabled on BTO and
I had over 2k e-mails sitting waiting on the BTY website, I then had to wade
through the whole bloody lot manually to delete the spam and save the real
genuine e-mails I wanted to recieve... I was megga peed off especially as
there was a charge for using more than x amount of space to store e-mail,
and I hadnt even know they were sitting the-( I use my own anti-spam
software mailwasher and its configured to delete spam from the server
directly, so I disabled BTY's effort.

Even when I migrated from BT when I switched from dialup to broadband
('cos of what look like broadband charges scandalously out of step with
the rest of the industry), I continued to pay for their 1.50 a month
Premium Mail service. Heartily impressed with it.

Whatever suits you:-) My mail feed is included in my connection fee, and I
have my own setup elswhere with 2 mbx's for what amounts to 8quid a year
incl address hosting.

Regards,
Cliff

Regards,
Cliff

Old February 25th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"TP" wrote in message

When you changed to BT you probably ended up with a new email address.
That
is why you are not getting spam.
Nothing BT has done.

No, the man is right. BT's spamtrap is like nothing I've ever seen. I used
to get 100+ per day (on the same BT address) before turning on the trap
about, what, a year ago. Since then, I've had less than 1 genuine spam

email
per week, and have only found less than five even vaguely genuine emails

(eg
adverts I've signed up for) when scanning the trashcan occasionally. I've
never been told by a sender that I've lost a genuine mail, so certainly
nothing important has gone missing.

I hope they don't use the same software as freeserve. I reckon at least 50%
of the emails I want end up in the spam folder. Even stuff from Amazon goes
in there. Useless. I keep clicking the not spam button which allegedly
reports it to there staff yet nothng ever happens.

Old February 25th 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:54:23 +0000 (UTC), [RD] said :-

Hi TP,
"TP" wrote in message

[...]

This is completely untrue.

of mbx space.. When I was moved from BTO to BTY all of a sudden my mail
decreased to sub 1 per day from about 80.. when I checked the BTY setup
they had auto enabled their spamtrap, which had been disabled on BTO and
I had over 2k e-mails sitting waiting on the BTY website, I then had to wade
through the whole bloody lot manually to delete the spam and save the real
genuine e-mails I wanted to recieve... I was megga peed off especially as

there was a charge for using more than x amount of space to store e-mail,

This is completely untrue. If the mailbox is full, no more mail will
actually get through and the _from_ address will get bounce messages
to that effect.

Old February 25th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dave" wrote in message

I hope they don't use the same software as freeserve. I reckon at least
50%
of the emails I want end up in the spam folder. Even stuff from Amazon
goes
in there. Useless. I keep clicking the not spam button which allegedly
reports it to there staff yet nothng ever happens.

BT Yahoo has a similar problem of false positives. Sometimes it can take a
few weeks for the system to remember its not spam.
I also have another theory to this problem. Say you want Amazon emails and
mark them as not spam, then someone who does not want the emails marks them
as spam rather than unsubscribing. So the system thinks it is spam again and
trashes them. I am certain this is happening because certain emails I get
are in the spam bin one week, then come through the next week, then spam
binned again. So the way they can avoid this is to have individual spam
lists setup on the webmail of what you want to accept. I think with BTyahoo
I can put them in my friends list and that would work, but I have not tried
it yet. Perhaps you can have a look round your webmail settings and see if
there is something similar.