Clara: immed. disconnect on P2P complaint !!

Old February 25th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

Default Clara: immed. disconnect on P2P complaint !!

wrote in message
Need to watch this particular ISP.

Some weeks ago I downloaded (P2P, Emule) an old bit of software.
Yesterday I found the ADSL connection dead. It turned out that if
Clara get a complaint from somebody, they (without warning to the
customer, and they confirmed this) immediately disconnect the account.

I am going to dump this outfit right away. Anybody could fine a
complaint like this, and cause anybody with Clara to have their
account disconnected. They have some corporate accounts....

I am not even a heavy user, a gig a month of data at most.

There's an organisation that most ISP's have signed up to. Can't remember
the name, but it's an organisation that sets down a code of practice. You
could try them.

They shouldn't be allowed to just disconect you without warning. After all,
you are paying for their service. You could argue that it a breach of
contract.

Old February 25th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:07:18 -0000, [ABC] said :-

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You could also argue that it the OP was doing something illegal with
their connection, then the T&C will cater for immediate disconnection.

Have you got permission to use abc.com as a reply address ? Seeing as
you have this in your headers :-

Old February 25th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:07:18 -0000, [ABC] said :-

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sorry, should have changed the headers after the tests I've been doing.

Old February 25th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:07:18 -0000, [ABC] said :-

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Unless they prohibit P2P or are actively monitoring connections the OP could
have been downloading Linux or other freeware for all they know.

Old February 25th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"ABC" wrote in message

They shouldn't be allowed to just disconect you without warning.

http://www.uk.clara.net/support/tsncs.php

6.2 and 5.2 of their T&Cs allow for just that.

I'd be surprised if there was an ISP who didn't have similar clauses.

Old February 25th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"ABC" wrote in message

There's an organisation that most ISP's have signed up to. Can't remember
the name, but it's an organisation that sets down a code of practice. You
could try them.

They shouldn't be allowed to just disconect you without warning. After
all, you are paying for their service. You could argue that it a breach of
contract.

If he was downloading illegal material then he is the one who has breached
his contract.

Old February 25th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Beck" wrote in message

"ABC" wrote in message

There's an organisation that most ISP's have signed up to. Can't remember
the name, but it's an organisation that sets down a code of practice. You
could try them.

They shouldn't be allowed to just disconect you without warning. After
all, you are paying for their service. You could argue that it a breach
of contract.

If he was downloading illegal material then he is the one who has breached
his contract.

The only similar case that I remember, the offending client was given two
weeks by Clara to find an alternative service provider. His 'crime' was to
have made an adverse comment about his part-time employer who happened to be
one of Claranet's bigger corporate clients.

(kim)

Old February 26th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Grant" wrote in message
"ABC" wrote in message

They shouldn't be allowed to just disconect you without warning.

http://www.uk.clara.net/support/tsncs.php

6.2 and 5.2 of their T&Cs allow for just that.

I'd be surprised if there was an ISP who didn't have similar clauses.

Nildram's T&Cs give you 10 days after a written warning to ammend your ways.

Old March 4th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Feb 2005 11:54, "steeler" wrote:

Unless they prohibit P2P or are actively monitoring connections the OP could
have been downloading Linux or other freeware for all they know.

unless the complaint was made by some part of the recording industry with
proof that the download was of copyright material, or that there was some
copyright material made available for download. I don't happen to use my
connections for peer-to-peer simply because I don't want the downsides of
being caught doing something which is clearly dubious in law. Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75