email on ntl broadband via 3rd party SMTP?

Old February 25th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaveGK

Default email on ntl broadband via 3rd party SMTP?

Does anyone know if, when on ntl broadband, I will
be able to send email via a 3rd party secure (or, to
be precise, authenticated) SMTP server, i.e. not via
normal smtp.ntlworld.com?

I have just signed up for ntl broadband, but it hasn't
been installed yet, so don't say check it out yourself

I have a few domains with 1&1 and they use secure
(auth.smtp.etc.etc) mail servers. Now, I want to be
able to continue to use my current setup, as it's very
convenient when I travel - no need to change SMTP
settings for all the email accounts I have, since I always
access the same servers for outgoing (and of course,
incoming) emails.

I did try ntl's tech support, but couldn't get anyone who
would even understand the question, never mind actually
answering it ...

--
Cheers,
DaveGK
Old February 25th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaveGK

"Paul" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:21:05 -0000, "DaveGK" wrote:

Does anyone know if, when on ntl broadband, I will
be able to send email via a 3rd party secure (or, to
be precise, authenticated) SMTP server, i.e. not via
normal smtp.ntlworld.com?

I have just signed up for ntl broadband, but it hasn't
been installed yet, so don't say check it out yourself

I have a few domains with 1&1 and they use secure
(auth.smtp.etc.etc) mail servers. Now, I want to be
able to continue to use my current setup, as it's very
convenient when I travel - no need to change SMTP
settings for all the email accounts I have, since I always
access the same servers for outgoing (and of course,
incoming) emails.

I did try ntl's tech support, but couldn't get anyone who
would even understand the question, never mind actually
answering it ...

sign up for a pobox address (www.icgroup.com), you just need to put
sasl.smtp.pobox.com & your registered pobox email address in then you're
away. it costs about 7 a year and also has spam filtering in there
too.

Cheers Paul. I don't really need any more email addresses:
4 private and 5 business domains with emails etc etc is
more than enough for me What I am trying to find out
is this: will I be able to use smtp server other than ntl?
From what you are suggesting, I assume you use pobox
smtp for your outgoing emails while connected to the
internet via ntl? If that is the case than it looks like I will
be alright.
Could you please confirm that if you don't mind?

--
Cheers,
DaveGK

Old February 25th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
user

"DaveGK" wrote in message
Does anyone know if, when on ntl broadband, I will
be able to send email via a 3rd party secure (or, to
be precise, authenticated) SMTP server, i.e. not via
normal smtp.ntlworld.com?

I have just signed up for ntl broadband, but it hasn't
been installed yet, so don't say check it out yourself

I have a few domains with 1&1 and they use secure
(auth.smtp.etc.etc) mail servers. Now, I want to be
able to continue to use my current setup, as it's very
convenient when I travel - no need to change SMTP
settings for all the email accounts I have, since I always
access the same servers for outgoing (and of course,
incoming) emails.

I did try ntl's tech support, but couldn't get anyone who
would even understand the question, never mind actually
answering it ...

I am on NTL and I send my SMTP mail using http://www.authsmtp.com/ and this
works fine without having to resort to using non-standard port numbers so
you should be OK.

Old February 25th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaveGK

"user" wrote in message

"DaveGK" wrote in message
[...]

Great, thanks. That's what I wanted to hear
How did you know I've already got an alternative
port number from 1&1 internet? ;~)

--
Cheers,
DaveGK

Old February 25th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaveGK

"Paul" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:59:03 -0000, "DaveGK"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message ...
[...]

From what you are suggesting, I assume you use pobox
smtp for your outgoing emails while connected to the
internet via ntl? If that is the case than it looks like I will
be alright.
Could you please confirm that if you don't mind?

i can confirm thats the case yes, just put the sasl.smtp.pobox.com
address in and you can send/receive from all of your other accounts too.

Thanks Paul.

--
Cheers,
DaveGK

Old February 25th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaveGK

"Nigel M" wrote in message ...
In uk.telecom.broadband, DaveGK wrote:

I have a few domains with 1&1

So have I.

and they use secure (auth.smtp.etc.etc) mail servers.

I didn't know that, is this a new feature? Where do you find the info?

Not new as in last month new, but then I have only been with them for
about 2.5 years ... This was certainly available all this time.
If you look in email settings for your domain (via 1&1 control panel),
SMTP server is always auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk, used to be
auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk - other than that still the same. To send via
this server you have to login with your a/c details, they have a guide in
help/email setting. In OE it just one extra step - tick the "My server
requires authentication" box and select to use the same details as for
pop3 - that's it.

--
Cheers,
DaveGK

Old February 25th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article ,
says...

http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/e_mail/index.html
--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk