Signup with Plusnet

Old February 25th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

Default Signup with Plusnet

Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?
TIA

Old February 25th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , BIGEYE says...
Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?
TIA

if he's got a modem, then

2. I want to signup for an account, but my computer doesn't have an
Internet connection. Can you help?
Yes. You can set your computer to dial 0845 1400101 with the username
'signup' and the password 'signup'. More information about setting your
computer to dial a connection is located in the Connection Guide. Once
connected point your browser to http://www.plus.net and you can sign up
for an account on our portal.

(from PlusNet's website)

otherwise I can't see why he cannot do the signup on your machine as
long as he's got all his details and the number of the line to be
enabled.

FR
Old February 25th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?

This is one thing I found completely stupid about plusnet's signup process.
An increasing number of people these days no longer have a dial-up modem, so
if they for example move house and need to sign up again for broadband, it
seems to be impossible to do.

Old February 25th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Chris
Jones says...
Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?

This is one thing I found completely stupid about plusnet's signup process.
An increasing number of people these days no longer have a dial-up modem, so
if they for example move house and need to sign up again for broadband, it
seems to be impossible to do.

the migration process to a new address is easy enough, ISPs like Eclipse
already make it simple to arrange. The ordering process for broadband
and a new phone connection is being merged so that they become available
much faster.

There should be no major obstacle to moving your broadband with you
nowadays.

FR
Old February 25th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

the migration process to a new address is easy enough, ISPs like
Eclipse already make it simple to arrange.

Not when you don't know your new phone number and don't have the new line in
place before you leave your old house.

The ordering process for broadband and a new phone connection
is being merged so that they become available much faster.

As I understand it you still have to sign up with an ISP -- many of which
like plusnet will only accept signups from the internet. Rather ironic,
really.

Old February 25th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:34:04 -0000, "Chris Jones"
wrote:

Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?

This is one thing I found completely stupid about plusnet's signup process.
An increasing number of people these days no longer have a dial-up modem, so
if they for example move house and need to sign up again for broadband, it
seems to be impossible to do.

That "increasing" number is very small, and decreasing at the moment.

How many new PCs have you seen on sale in the last 3-4 years that do
*not* include a modem built in?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Shift key? this keyboard is an automatic!

Old February 25th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:43:08 -0000, "Chris Jones"
wrote:

the migration process to a new address is easy enough, ISPs like
Eclipse already make it simple to arrange.

Not when you don't know your new phone number and don't have the new line in
place before you leave your old house.

The ordering process for broadband and a new phone connection
is being merged so that they become available much faster.

As I understand it you still have to sign up with an ISP -- many of which
like plusnet will only accept signups from the internet. Rather ironic,
really.

There are plenty of internet cafes around, or most public libraries
have internet access.

Just be *very* careful about who is standing behind you, and make
certain you clear all cookies and the cache when finished.

Most (including PN, I believe) will accept signups by phone, even
though they prefer you to do it online.

And there is always the option of using the modem that almost
certainly came built in to your PC.

Old February 25th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:45:22 -0000, "BIGEYE"
wrote:

Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?

Yes.

He can sign up from anywhere with internet access.

They do also have a phone number listed 0845 1400200 , on which I
would hope they will take sign up details from anyone without current
internet access.

Old February 26th 05, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

the migration process to a new address is easy enough, ISPs like
Eclipse already make it simple to arrange.

Not when you don't know your new phone number and don't have the new line
in
place before you leave your old house.

The ordering process for broadband and a new phone connection
is being merged so that they become available much faster.

As I understand it you still have to sign up with an ISP -- many of which
like plusnet will only accept signups from the internet. Rather ironic,
really.

Hi there,

The reason we only accept signups online is because the Terms and conditons
are on the website. we won't sell a product without giving you chance to see
the T's and C's.

Also this elimiminate the chance of human error, for example if we
provisioned ADSL on the wrong number we would have to pay another activation
fee.

this way any mistakes made are not ours.

Regards,

--

+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+

Old February 26th 05, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

Friend of mine wants to sign up with Plusnet broadband. Unfortunately he
does not have internet access at his home, although he lives in a BB area.
How can he sign up if he does not have internet access? Is it possible for
him to sign up from my home pc?

Yes.

He can sign up from anywhere with internet access.

They do also have a phone number listed 0845 1400200 , on which I
would hope they will take sign up details from anyone without current
internet access.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Shift key? this keyboard is an automatic!

Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not take signups over the phone. I have covered this in
more detail in another post earlier in this thread.

Regards,