BT Broadband - it pays to threaten migration

Old February 25th 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default BT Broadband - it pays to threaten migration

I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can migrate to
another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon as possible if I
would stay (next Friday infact). They also said that from March 23rd the
'classic' broadband service would also include a full pop3 and smpt email
service at no extra cost for the first time.

Worth giving them a ring if you haven't had an upgrade letter yet and
threatening to leave.

Simon

Old February 25th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can
migrate to another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon
as possible if I would stay (next Friday infact).

That's as bad as an employer only offering you a pay rise when you hand in
your resignation ... if they don't value you as a customer, get out of
there!

Old February 25th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
desert

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:06:38 -0000, "Simon"
wrote:

I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can migrate to
another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon as possible if I
would stay (next Friday infact). They also said that from March 23rd the
'classic' broadband service would also include a full pop3 and smpt email
service at no extra cost for the first time.

Worth giving them a ring if you haven't had an upgrade letter yet and
threatening to leave.

Simon

excuse my ignorance but what is a MAC number?
on currently using bt classic 512 no email etc.

Old February 26th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Its the number you need to quote to a new provider to enable you to change
provider without a break in service.

Old February 26th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

I had the same experience last autumn. When I asked for the MAC BT
Yahoo immediately offered me a really cheap deal for a while - 6 months
or so. When I said what happens after the 6 months, I was told they
would re-consider. That was not good enough and I left anyway. Very
satisfied with my new supplier, Central Point.

Old February 26th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Simon" wrote in message
I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can migrate to
another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon as possible if I
would stay (next Friday infact). They also said that from March 23rd the
'classic' broadband service would also include a full pop3 and smpt email
service at no extra cost for the first time.

Worth giving them a ring if you haven't had an upgrade letter yet and
threatening to leave.

It works with Sky TV too, I'm told. Threaten to cancel your subscription and
they offer to half the price for the next three months or so.

(kim)

Old February 26th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

wrote:

I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can migrate to
another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon as possible if I
would stay (next Friday infact). They also said that from March 23rd the
'classic' broadband service would also include a full pop3 and smpt email
service at no extra cost for the first time.

Worth giving them a ring if you haven't had an upgrade letter yet and
threatening to leave.

Simon

Makes me think of the advert with Clarkson in it. "This isn't just
for the Johnny Come Latelys, it's for our most important customers,
every single one of them", or something like that.

Yeah, right!

Jake

Old February 26th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

kim wrote:
"Simon" wrote in message
I telephoned BT Broadband today asking for a MAC number so I can migrate to
another provider. I was offered the upgrade to 2mb as soon as possible if I
would stay (next Friday infact). They also said that from March 23rd the
'classic' broadband service would also include a full pop3 and smpt email
service at no extra cost for the first time.

Worth giving them a ring if you haven't had an upgrade letter yet and
threatening to leave.

It works with Sky TV too, I'm told. Threaten to cancel your subscription and
they offer to half the price for the next three months or so.

Just had this experience.
AIUI, they've also got a 30 day cancellation clause in it.
So, if you're on a 35/mo sub, then if you don't take up the offer, you
end up paying more, as you've still got one payment (usually) to pay.
Old March 18th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Simon wrote:
Its the number you need to quote to a new provider to enable you to

change
provider without a break in service.

It's also a term used for networking cards!!

So if you see it mentioned elsewhere don't get the two mixed up