How come OE worksbut IE doesn't?

Old February 25th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default How come OE worksbut IE doesn't?

I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections shows 'Never Dial a Connection',
and I've tried setting 'LAN Settings' to 'automatically detect
settings'. I've also tried rebooting of course, and 'Restore Defaults'
on the 'Advanced' tab. All to no avail.

Interestingly, when I hit the 'Refresh' button on IE, the modem
blinks, so something is happening on the line.

I just don't understand how OE woks but IE doesn't, despite the fact
that they appear to share the connection???

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul (using the old dial-up :-().

Old February 25th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On 25 Feb 2005 11:20:07 -0800, "Paul" wrote:

I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections shows 'Never Dial a Connection',
and I've tried setting 'LAN Settings' to 'automatically detect
settings'. I've also tried rebooting of course, and 'Restore Defaults'
on the 'Advanced' tab. All to no avail.

Interestingly, when I hit the 'Refresh' button on IE, the modem
blinks, so something is happening on the line.

I just don't understand how OE woks but IE doesn't, despite the fact
that they appear to share the connection???

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul (using the old dial-up :-().

I had exactly this problem recently on a client's computer. OE worked,
IE didn't. I installed FireFox but that didn't work either.

I installed and ran Microsoft's Anti Spyware over it, it found 22,500
dodgy items, removed the lot, rebooted and IE worked again.

YMMV but it's worth a try!

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 1,750 tracks, 2.793 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/report...?showuser=2011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493

Get Firefox!
Old February 25th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 25 Feb 2005 11:20:07 -0800, "Paul" wrote:

I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

look out for any proxy server settings eg left over from dialup.

If connecting via a router make sure MTU setting iin router is 1500,
or PC is set to smaller or equal MTU to router.

What ISP, what connection hardware ?

Phil
Old February 26th 05, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections shows 'Never Dial a Connection',
and I've tried setting 'LAN Settings' to 'automatically detect
settings'. I've also tried rebooting of course, and 'Restore Defaults'
on the 'Advanced' tab. All to no avail.

Interestingly, when I hit the 'Refresh' button on IE, the modem
blinks, so something is happening on the line.

I just don't understand how OE woks but IE doesn't, despite the fact
that they appear to share the connection???

Can anyone help, please?

You might have some kind of spyware on your machine which has hijacked your
IE. There are various programs around you can use to get rid of spyware but
they must be run on a regular basis.
Adaware is one of the more popular ones, as is the new Microsoft Antispy.
MS Antispy seems to be better than the others as it has realtime protection
so does block stuff before it is installed.

Old February 26th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 25 Feb 2005 11:20:07 -0800, [Paul] said :-

I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections shows 'Never Dial a Connection',
and I've tried setting 'LAN Settings' to 'automatically detect
settings'. I've also tried rebooting of course, and 'Restore Defaults'
on the 'Advanced' tab. All to no avail.

Interestingly, when I hit the 'Refresh' button on IE, the modem
blinks, so something is happening on the line.

I just don't understand how OE woks but IE doesn't, despite the fact
that they appear to share the connection???

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul (using the old dial-up :-().

In addition to others, check and see what's in the OE settings for
tools, accounts, account name, properties, connection. This may help
illiminate "stuff"
Old February 27th 05, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Paul wrote:
I seem to be having trouble with IE. I seem to be connected OK, as
Outlook Express can receive/send mail.

Thanks for the suggestions. Running the MS Spyware software didn't turn
anything, and neither did a reinstall of IE and OE.

Turned out to be the DNS server problem, as typing an IP address
straight into the address in IE brought up a web page. AIUI, Domain
Name Server is the gizmo that translates an IP address in the form
nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn to a www.etc value.

To fix: Start/Control Panel/Network Connections. Right click the LAN
connection in question, and select 'Properties'. Scroll down to the
'Internet Properties' and select 'Properties'. I had 'Obtain DNS Server
address automatically' selected, changing it to 'Use the following DNS
server addresses' and having 194.247.047.047 as prefered, and
194.247.040.126 as Alternate.

Regards,

Paul (using Broadband :-)).