Need advice on broadband router...

Old February 25th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

Default Need advice on broadband router...

Hello everybody.
I've got a friend to whom I advised on using a router for his adsl BT
Broadband, the router is a linksys wireless with built in modem, don't know
the model now but that piece of crapp is always freezing, his able to
download stuff from the net and yet he's not able to surf the net or maybe
even msn although it logs on msn, its a weird situation, the router is
bloking no ports that's for sure, everything was reset to factory defaults.
I had advised him on a linksys product as being part of cisco I thought it
would be a good purchased as I'm ussing one as well but for cable and that
runns smooth as it can be.
Now its time to get ride of that junk and buy a new one, so what do you guys
recon it's out there and good for his vroadband conection?????? BT Broadband
ADSL, he want's it wireless as well. This time I was thinking D-Link????
Any comment are most welcome.
Cheers
Carlos Arruda

www.carlos-arruda.com

Old February 25th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:37:53 GMT, "Carlos Arruda"
wrote:

Now its time to get ride of that junk and buy a new one, so what do you guys
recon it's out there and good for his vroadband conection?????? BT Broadband
ADSL, he want's it wireless as well. This time I was thinking D-Link????
Any comment are most welcome.

http://www.voyager.bt.com/ has a range of products that should get
good support from the ISP

Phil
Old February 25th 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

news
wrote:

Now its time to get ride of that junk and buy a new one, so what do you
guys
recon it's out there and good for his vroadband conection?????? BT
Broadband
ADSL, he want's it wireless as well. This time I was thinking D-Link????
Any comment are most welcome.

http://www.voyager.bt.com/ has a range of products that should get
good support from the ISP

Phil

Hello.
Thanks for your repply.
I went to there website and ad a look at there products but they all require
an ADSL modem with an ethernet port??????? I'm in computers for almost 10
years and have never seen an ADSL modem with an ethernet port.
Cheers
Carlos

Old February 26th 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Carlos Arruda" wrote in message

Thanks for your repply.
I went to there website and ad a look at there products but they all
require an ADSL modem with an ethernet port??????? I'm in computers for
almost 10 years and have never seen an ADSL modem with an ethernet port.

I thought adsl modems with ethernet ports were more common nowadays.
Its probably worth trying to fix the problem of the current router first
rather than splashing out on a new one. There was another poster on here
yesterday whose connection was having problems as he had Sygate firewall
installed. Does your friend have another firewall installed that may be
conflicting?

Old February 26th 05, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Carlos Arruda
says...
[...]

D-Link routers are great, but I'd try and sort out the Linksys first.

Try doing a firmware upgrade
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/drivers_details.php?vendor=16

an update of the firmware might help with his problems.

I'd also check the network port on the box, make sure that the POS
Windows firewall isn't conflicting with anything if it is enabled on the
connection.

FR
Old February 26th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

"Flying Rat" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There's no firewall instaled and windows firewal is deactivated. We've tryid
upgrading the firmaware and yet nothing, apart from the fact that now if we
activate the wirelless access point the adsl modem goes down with the
conection and no longer is able to conect.
When he can no longer surf the internet and yet's able to continue is
downloads he's able to surf by switching the ethernet port but after 30
minutes it happens all over again.
Is determined to get himself a new one and get ride of that one as not even
linksys support's repplying any of our e-mails.
Cheers to you all guys,
Carlos

Old February 26th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Carlos Arruda" wrote in message

Hello.
There's no firewall instaled and windows firewal is deactivated. We've
tryid upgrading the firmaware and yet nothing, apart from the fact that
now if we activate the wirelless access point the adsl modem goes down
with the conection and no longer is able to conect.
When he can no longer surf the internet and yet's able to continue is
downloads he's able to surf by switching the ethernet port but after 30
minutes it happens all over again.
Is determined to get himself a new one and get ride of that one as not
even linksys support's repplying any of our e-mails.

Maybe its faulty. Has he tried getting a replacement from where he
purchased it?

Old February 26th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Hello.
Thanks for your repply.
I went to there website and ad a look at there products but they all
require an ADSL modem with an ethernet port??????? I'm in computers for
almost 10 years and have never seen an ADSL modem with an ethernet port.
Cheers
Carlos

You will find the Binatone ADSL 2000 is effectively that. Using one here.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old February 26th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Carlos Arruda
says...
Hello.
There's no firewall instaled and windows firewal is deactivated. We've tryid
upgrading the firmaware and yet nothing, apart from the fact that now if we
activate the wirelless access point the adsl modem goes down with the
conection and no longer is able to conect.
When he can no longer surf the internet and yet's able to continue is
downloads he's able to surf by switching the ethernet port but after 30
minutes it happens all over again.
Is determined to get himself a new one and get ride of that one as not even
linksys support's repplying any of our e-mails.
Cheers to you all guys,
Carlos

in that case, point him in the direction of a D-Link DSL-G604T

So easy to configure even an arse like me found it a walkover (and
reasonably priced too). Four ethernet ports and wireless built in.

FR
Old February 26th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C Arruda

"Beck" wrote in message

"Carlos Arruda" wrote in message

Hello.
There's no firewall instaled and windows firewal is deactivated. We've
tryid upgrading the firmaware and yet nothing, apart from the fact that
now if we activate the wirelless access point the adsl modem goes down
with the conection and no longer is able to conect.
When he can no longer surf the internet and yet's able to continue is
downloads he's able to surf by switching the ethernet port but after 30
minutes it happens all over again.
Is determined to get himself a new one and get ride of that one as not
even linksys support's repplying any of our e-mails.

Maybe its faulty. Has he tried getting a replacement from where he
purchased it?

No Beck as he had lost the invoice.