Wires / Engineer install - what is the difference?

Old February 26th 05, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
narcissu

Default Wires / Engineer install - what is the difference?

Hi,

I joined BT Openworld long ago on 512K and had an engineer come round
to install the new socket, etc. I will leave BT soon and understand if
your install is wires only then using a MAC code the switch over can
be completed without much loss of service.

So, with these new self-installs, what is the difference? Why can't I
with an older engineer install have the swap over at the exchange down
quickly? I use a modem, phone wires out the house to the exchange -
what is the problem?

Thanks.
Old February 26th 05, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

narcissu wrote:
Hi,

I joined BT Openworld long ago on 512K and had an engineer come round
to install the new socket, etc. I will leave BT soon and understand if
your install is wires only then using a MAC code the switch over can
be completed without much loss of service.

So, with these new self-installs, what is the difference? Why can't I
with an older engineer install have the swap over at the exchange down
quickly? I use a modem, phone wires out the house to the exchange -
what is the problem?

Thanks.

It should (repeat should) nowadays be no different, other than you may be
required to return your original modem...

Old February 26th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thanatos

Hi

"narcissu" wrote in message

Hi,

I joined BT Openworld long ago on 512K and had an engineer come round
to install the new socket, etc. I will leave BT soon and understand if
your install is wires only then using a MAC code the switch over can
be completed without much loss of service.

So, with these new self-installs, what is the difference? Why can't I
with an older engineer install have the swap over at the exchange down
quickly? I use a modem, phone wires out the house to the exchange -
what is the problem?

I had a BT engineer install and migrated with no problems about
a year ago. Just check that your new ISP supports this.

I never did find out why having an engineer install caused problems

Old February 26th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
narcissu

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:32:58 +0000, John Naismith
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:03:18 -0000, "Thanatos" wrote:

I never did find out why having an engineer install caused problems

Simply put it was BT Wholesale's ordering system that had the
problems. It is certainly possible now to do a migration/conversion
from "engineer-install" to IPStream but as you say it depends on the
ISPs concerned. Some don't want to know as it has a higher migration
cost, customers don't understand why and then whinge at/about the ISP.

Oh and even if BT sends out a bag for the USB modem you don't send it
back now - its yours. They shouldn't be sending out bags but ****ups
happen :-)

Thanks - the modem is mine as BT told us so! Still worried if it dies
and then I have no net connection - do not think I have a modem or ISP
that supports it if I leave BT (transistion phase).

I am not sure if it was Pipex or Zen, but one or both said migration
from an older engineer install was not possible without disruption -
this was still on their faq's a few days ago - so I assume it is still
very much an issue? So condusing.
Old February 26th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thanatos

Hi

"John Naismith" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:03:18 -0000, "Thanatos" wrote:

I never did find out why having an engineer install caused problems

Simply put it was BT Wholesale's ordering system that had the
problems. It is certainly possible now to do a migration/conversion
from "engineer-install" to IPStream but as you say it depends on the
ISPs concerned. Some don't want to know as it has a higher migration
cost, customers don't understand why and then whinge at/about the ISP.

Oh and even if BT sends out a bag for the USB modem you don't send it
back now - its yours. They shouldn't be sending out bags but ****ups
happen :-)

They never did ask me to return my 'frog' It has been in
constant use since september 2000 without a fault. I should
be upgraded to 2meg line next week, I will be interested to
see how it performs then.