ADSL Router 'chatter'

Old February 26th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default ADSL Router 'chatter'

When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

--
Mark
Old February 26th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:12:06 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

Piece of string question really. Depends on how much you're being
pinged, port scanned, etc.

Why not try it and report back?

Jake

Old February 26th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thomas Sandford

Mark Carver wrote:
When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

"It depends".

Among the things it depends on:
* Whether you have a netblock allocated to your account (and if so how
big).
* Whether there is a specific worm recently on the loose.
* Whether someone is deliberately targetting your IP (/ISP's IP range).
* When you are asking (there is a general upward trend).

Looking at my firewall logs, I have received about 2MBytes of background
chatter in the last 34 hours. I have a /28 netblock (16 addresses) so
I receive (approximately) 16 times what a single IP address connection would.

--
Thomas Sandford |
Paradise Green Technical Services: S'ware/Hw design and Theatre Tech. Services
Old February 26th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Thomas Sandford wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

"It depends".

Among the things it depends on:
* Whether you have a netblock allocated to your account (and if so how
big).
* Whether there is a specific worm recently on the loose.
* Whether someone is deliberately targetting your IP (/ISP's IP
range).
* When you are asking (there is a general upward trend).

Looking at my firewall logs, I have received about 2MBytes of
background chatter in the last 34 hours. I have a /28 netblock (16
addresses) so
I receive (approximately) 16 times what a single IP address
connection would.

Not necesarily, I had around 48-72 hours down time recently & my ISP's
bandwidth meter claimed I was using up to 30MB per day with just the router
turned on.......

Old February 27th 05, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 at 21:49:21, kraftee (kraftee
) wrote:
Not necesarily, I had around 48-72 hours down time recently & my ISP's
bandwidth meter claimed I was using up to 30MB per day with just the router
turned on.......

I must admit since we went from dialup to broadband, netmeter we seem to
be putting through about twice as much throughput. Maybe the Mrs is
doing more I don't know - but she's saying not
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
Old February 27th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:12:06 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

Well I've just got back from a week away had router left on but PC turned
off,plusnets usage monitor registered roughly 12MB per day during this
time

Martin Warby
Old February 27th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

wrote:

When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

With the various port probing activities that go on with people trying
to find vulnerable machine you will see a few kbps throughout the day,
that can add up to a few mega bytes over the day.

It also depends on how many IP addresses you have allocated to you.
For example if you have a block of 16 IP addresses, rather than just
one, you will see 16 times the "random chatter".
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old February 27th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
When a broadband router is left on (with all of its PCs switched off)
how much 'chatter' is there with the net ? kbs or Mbs per day ?

there is some overhead traffic added just because the ADSL system treats the
link as dialup - the underlying authentication / keepalive on the ADSL line
may generate some traffic (sort of PPP).

whether your router and your ISP add this into the total depends on how,
where and what they measure.

once you get past that many ISPs have some scan traffic on their links.

If you have systems that poll such as a mail server, then that will generate
background traffic whenever they are running.

finally there is all the crud coming in from the Internet - scanning
activity seems to get more intense if your IP address is from a block widely
known to be used for consumer broadband - unprotected PCs on broadband are
more useful for spam relay, and more likely to be powered up.

And if you think ADSL is bad you should see the background on my NTL cable
segment - ARPs from the headend router hit 100's packets / sec
sometimes.....

--
Mark

Regards

Old February 27th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

Well I've just got back from a week away had router left on but PC turned
off,plusnets usage monitor registered roughly 12MB per day during this
time

1.16 Mb for 24 hours away! Force9 usage monitor.

Old February 28th 05, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Nat Stott wrote:
Well I've just got back from a week away had router left on but PC turned
off,plusnets usage monitor registered roughly 12MB per day during this
time

1.16 Mb for 24 hours away! Force9 usage monitor.

Similar on plus. (Single IP address)

Bill