Connecting before activation day

Old February 26th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Archer

Default Connecting before activation day

I've seen two ISPs' fairly emphatic instructions about not connecting
to the exchange line before you're told you're being activated. But
they don't say why. Just as a matter of interest, what contingencies
are they guarding against?

Having tried doing this myself, BTW,I see that my modem's been sync'ing
to the exchange since yesterday, and reports all devices in the chain
successfully connected, but then username/password authentication
failure. I assume I'll probably now have to wait until Monday, my
specified activation day.
--
Iain Archer To email, please use Reply-To address
Old February 26th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Iain Archer wrote:
I've seen two ISPs' fairly emphatic instructions about not connecting
to the exchange line before you're told you're being activated. But
they don't say why. Just as a matter of interest, what contingencies
are they guarding against?

Nothing really. Probably just in case it syncs early and they havent
activated your account their end so you end up phoning them demanding
the account be made live.

Paul Honiss, corrupt, incompetent and death is too kind.
France 18 - 24 Paul Honiss. Someone sack this imbecile now.
Old February 26th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart M

"Iain Archer" wrote in message
I've seen two ISPs' fairly emphatic instructions about not connecting
to the exchange line before you're told you're being activated. But
they don't say why. Just as a matter of interest, what contingencies are
they guarding against?

My latest ISP told me it was because although the line was active, it
wouldnt be directed to my isp until activation date (or words to that
effect). So they wouldnt give my login until then.

Funnily enough, on another new line I had at home, i had the login and it
worked a few days before the official activation date.

Old February 27th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Iain Archer" wrote in message
I've seen two ISPs' fairly emphatic instructions about not connecting
to the exchange line before you're told you're being activated. But
they don't say why. Just as a matter of interest, what contingencies are
they guarding against?

Maybe they are guarding against you getting free use of the service before
your billing period starts.