SNR ratio dives when new phone connected

Old February 27th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Default SNR ratio dives when new phone connected

I have an older, enginner installed ADSL connection, with the double
faceplate. I used to see a noise margin (3com router) of 26db in each
direction, with an old BT phone plugged in.

With a new (cheap) Dect phone plugged in the Noise margin sank to 6db!

As I assume the line is already filtered, would another filter help or
is the phone just rubbish?

Whilst on the subject, the only reason for the change of phone is that
I used to have two lines in the house and removed one. The remaining
line goes straight to a study upstairs, so the line that goes
downstairs is no longer connected. The single wire from the master
socket goes to the back (through a wall) of a single socket faceplate,
inside where it splits in all directions. I'd love to know how to
patch the old line into the remaining line, so I could reactivate the
downstairs socket...

Any clues, or places on the net that might educate me on how to move
my extension line from the innactive incoming line to the still active
line (all in the same box)...

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old February 27th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 27/02/2005 Danny wrote:

Any clues, or places on the net that might educate me on how to move
my extension line from the innactive incoming line to the still
active line (all in the same box)...

Have a poke around http://www.clarity.it/ they do some useful kit and
have some good instructions on site.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 27th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 27/02/2005 Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Jeff Gaines wrote:

Have a poke around http://www.clarity.it/ they do some useful kit
and have some good instructions on site.

Not to mention a few laughs:

http://www.clarity.it/coolstuff/demotivators_cal_2005.htm

Brilliant, hadn't delved that far :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 27th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:50:32 +0000, Danny
wrote:

With a new (cheap) Dect phone plugged in the Noise margin sank to 6db!

As I assume the line is already filtered, would another filter help or
is the phone just rubbish?

probably the latter, although first you should reboot your
modem/router so it can retrain to the exchange with the new wiring
configuration, this may well fix it.

Phil

Old February 27th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Nigel M wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, Danny wrote:

As I assume the line is already filtered, would another filter help

On re-reading, how do you assume this? Do you have a master socket with
a built-in filter? If not, you need a filter on *every* phone.

Because it's an engineer installed double socket (with an ADSL and a
phone socket) that I thought was filtered on the phone side. I've had
a phone plugged into it since ADSL was installed 3 years ago...

Old February 27th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Phil Thompson wrote:

probably the latter, although first you should reboot your
modem/router so it can retrain to the exchange with the new wiring
configuration, this may well fix it.

Phil

Thanks. Did that and the SNR is now 23db, 1db less than with the
original phone.

Actually, I've now tried various combinations, and with no phone the
SNR dropped to 22db, and with the cheap dect phone it's now at 26db -
will the router update this information whilst "up"? Ie: can the
noise change during uptime and be reflected on the status page of the
router, or does the SNR remain the same once the router has initially
synched?

Many thanks,

Old February 27th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Danny wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:

probably the latter, although first you should reboot your
modem/router so it can retrain to the exchange with the new wiring
configuration, this may well fix it.

Phil

Thanks. Did that and the SNR is now 23db, 1db less than with the
original phone.

Actually, I've now tried various combinations, and with no phone the
SNR dropped to 22db, and with the cheap dect phone it's now at 26db -
will the router update this information whilst "up"? Ie: can the
noise change during uptime and be reflected on the status page of the
router, or does the SNR remain the same once the router has initially
synched?

The SNR will vary all the time, depending on time of day/night, weather
conditions, who's fertling about in the local loop etc etc.....

Old February 28th 05, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:28:23 +0000, Danny
wrote:

Actually, I've now tried various combinations, and with no phone the
SNR dropped to 22db, and with the cheap dect phone it's now at 26db -
will the router update this information whilst "up"? Ie: can the
noise change during uptime and be reflected on the status page of the
router, or does the SNR remain the same once the router has initially
synched?

the noise margin is probably a continuously updated reading, if it
drops to zero the modem will retrain.

The "one off" event at training is picking the frequencies with the
best noise margin, so the modem gets one shot at finding the best way
to use the line "as is". Hence the reboot on adding devices or wires
to a system.

Phil