Dropped connection

Old February 27th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Default Dropped connection

Hi
I've had ADSL up and running for about three weeks, its been fine until this
weekend but now I keep loosing the connection from my router (Netgear DG834
not wireless) to the exchange. The router reconnects within a couple of
mins.

The only thing I've changed is to upgrade the firmware of the router.

Looking at the support pages of my ISP (Metronet) the only reasons for this
problem that they suggest all involve faults at my end. The one that may
apply is "using an extension socket" , the socket is hardwired from the back
of a NTE5 face plate using twisted pair.

Is it likely that the problem is with my wiring considering that its only
happened in the last couple of days and has been fine for three weeks
previously?

Is it likely that the exchange is dropping my connection.

Roger

Old February 28th 05, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

The only thing I've changed is to upgrade the firmware of the router.

thing I have changed...". That's a pretty big "only".

Old February 28th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

And pray tell us all what were the "before" and "after" firmware levels.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Old February 28th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

V1.04.01 before

V1.05.00 after.

Old February 28th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Roger" wrote in message
V1.04.01 before

V1.05.00 after.

Roger, thanks for the info. FYI, my DG385G came with 1.05.00 installed and
I've had no dropped connection woes. I _have_ had lots of DNS woes where
the DNS proxy in the router stops responding and any hostname based
operations then start failing.

I'm told that the latest beta release helps with this but I'm not had time
to try it out.

Paul DS.

Old February 28th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi
I've had ADSL up and running for about three weeks, its been fine until
this weekend but now I keep loosing the connection from my router (Netgear
DG834 not wireless) to the exchange. The router reconnects within a couple
of mins.

The only thing I've changed is to upgrade the firmware of the router.

Looking at the support pages of my ISP (Metronet) the only reasons for
this problem that they suggest all involve faults at my end. The one that
may apply is "using an extension socket" , the socket is hardwired from
the back of a NTE5 face plate using twisted pair.

Is it likely that the problem is with my wiring considering that its only
happened in the last couple of days and has been fine for three weeks
previously?

Is it likely that the exchange is dropping my connection.

Last time I had this with my DG834 it was due to my extension wiring having
come slightly loose. Check the SNR and noise values in the router status,
this was how I discovered the problem was at my end - the noise had gone up,
and SNR down, from what I normally get. A quick wiggle of the extension at
the socket fixed it.

Dan