Router to Switch to PC/Xbox for Xbox Live

Old February 28th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

Default Router to Switch to PC/Xbox for Xbox Live

Hi all, sorry this may not be the right place to post this, but you all seem
to know alot about this sort of thing, If I wanted to set up my xbox to xbox
live I was wondering if this
set up would work:

http://img212.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...=layout4zb.jpg

Where "A" is a switch (Netgear FS605).

The router is a Netgear DG834 (wired not wireless) with built in ADSL modem.

This set up would be the most convenient as the router is on the other side
of the house to the xbox and don't fancy laying down all the cables (also
not sure if we would be allowed), and as the pc is in the room directly
above where the xbox is and all we have to do is follow the aerial cable up
to the room above to connect the xbox to the switch, it would also be much
easier. Also am I right in thinking that a switch is more intelligent than a
hub and instead of just splitting the bandwidth in half it gives out what
the xbox or pc needs (so if the xbox isn't on, pc 2 would get the all the
bandwidth from the switch)?

Thanks

Old February 28th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Kolicha" wrote in message
[...]

It should work fine. If nothing else is using the connection then PC2 will
get all the bandwidth whether you use a switch or a hub.

Old February 28th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:55:22 -0000, "Kolicha"
wrote:

Also am I right in thinking that a switch is more intelligent than a
hub and instead of just splitting the bandwidth in half it gives out what
the xbox or pc needs (so if the xbox isn't on, pc 2 would get the all the
bandwidth from the switch)?

Not quite. A hub will distribute packets to all connected equipment,
whereas a switch learns what is connected to each port and only sends
packets to that port if destined for that device. Basically it makes
the network more efficient.