Clara Net Upgrade Woe

Old February 28th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Clara Net Upgrade Woe

As a residential user of Clara 512K broadband I tried to upgrade to
1Mps.
1) Clara no longer have a phone line direct to accounts or to sales.
You have to wait in the Support line behind a dozen Monday users who
have forgotten their passwords.
2) The increase in monthly fee is from 29.99 to 34.99. That is fine by
me but Clara want another "connection charge" of £50 to perform this
upgrade.

I have no complaints about their service connection-wise but can anyone
point me to another ISP which will give consistent connections and
value for money. I know I'll have to pay them a new connection charge
anyway, its just that I resent having to pay the same ISP twice when
Ive been with them for about 4-5 years

Disgruntled

Old February 28th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote in message
ps.com...

I have no complaints about their service connection-wise but can anyone
point me to another ISP which will give consistent connections and
value for money. I know I'll have to pay them a new connection charge
anyway, its just that I resent having to pay the same ISP twice when
Ive been with them for about 4-5 years

Thats a disgusting price to pay for a current customer. I don't blame you
for being disgruntled. I just checked the site and its actually £58.75 (inc
vat) to upgrade.
There are many companies around who are actually offering free migration at
the moment so you need not pay a penny to move.

Old February 28th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Caaagh

I have no complaints about their service connection-wise but can anyone
point me to another ISP which will give consistent connections and
value for money. I know I'll have to pay them a new connection charge
anyway, its just that I resent having to pay the same ISP twice when
Ive been with them for about 4-5 years

Thats a disgusting price to pay for a current customer. I don't blame you
for being disgruntled. I just checked the site and its actually £58.75
(inc vat) to upgrade.
There are many companies around who are actually offering free migration
at the moment so you need not pay a penny to move.

I was a claranet customer for years, but switched to PlusNet about 10 months
ago. Their service is much better and much cheaper, if you are not a heavy
user (which I'm not). I'm on Broadband Lite with 2mbps speed and 2g monthly
download cap, which suits me just fine, for £16.49 - www.plus.com.

The do free migration, but you then need to upgrade from your 512k after
transfer, at a cost of £14.99.

HTH
Caagh

Old February 28th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Caaagh" wrote in message

I was a claranet customer for years, but switched to PlusNet about 10
months ago. Their service is much better and much cheaper, if you are not
a heavy user (which I'm not). I'm on Broadband Lite with 2mbps speed and
2g monthly download cap, which suits me just fine, for £16.49 -
www.plus.com.

The do free migration, but you then need to upgrade from your 512k after
transfer, at a cost of £14.99.

Thats more like the price for upgrades. IIRC BT charge £15 to do the
upgrade don't they?

Old February 28th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jelv

Caaagh wrote:

The do free migration, but you then need to upgrade from your 512k after
transfer, at a cost of £14.99.

Or just transfer to Plusnet for free at 512 and wait till April when you
should be upgraded to the maximum speed your line will support (possibly
8MB) for free.

--
John
Old February 28th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Chapman

In article , Caaagh
wrote:

I was a claranet customer for years, but switched to PlusNet about 10 months
ago. Their service is much better and much cheaper, if you are not a heavy
user (which I'm not). I'm on Broadband Lite with 2mbps speed and 2g monthly
download cap, which suits me just fine, for £16.49 - www.plus.com.

I was likewise a very satisfied Claranet customer but it got to the
point where the Claranet ceased to have any "added value". I too went
to Plusnet and have no complaints whatsoever.

--
Adrian

"Theory and practice are the same in theory, but different in practice"
Old March 1st 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Thomas

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 at 17:36:53 Adrian Chapman wrote:

In article , Caaagh
wrote:

I was a claranet customer for years, but switched to PlusNet about 10 months
ago. Their service is much better and much cheaper, if you are not a heavy
user (which I'm not). I'm on Broadband Lite with 2mbps speed and 2g monthly
download cap, which suits me just fine, for £16.49 - www.plus.com.

I was likewise a very satisfied Claranet customer but it got to the
point where the Claranet ceased to have any "added value". I too went
to Plusnet and have no complaints whatsoever.

Yet another Clara-Plusnet migratee here. Mainly because Clara didn't
have any home ADSL offering greater than 512. When I left they were
trialing something which seemed a complete shambles (Telefonica?).

I'm now happily zooming along at 2Mb for 40 quid and looking forward to
4Mb or even 8Mb for 30 quid.
--
Steve Thomas
Old March 2nd 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I've bee with Clara long enough to avoid any contract hassles I hope.
If a firm refuses to let you have data about you that theyre holding
force them to reveal it. Itll cost you a tenner and:
1) They may "lose" everything they know about you.
2) They may still withold the identity of the alleged copyright holder
who snitched on you on the grounds that its not data about you.
Try uk.legal. I took on a bank about "secret" data with my tenner and
still didnt get everything they knew!

Disgruntled