BT vs Wanado

Old February 28th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnoWhoo

Default BT vs Wanado

Hi all
I am new to the group and considering BB especially with the revision of
prices - and the fact that I can now get it here in the country!
I guy at work commented that he and some others had done side by side
comparisons of BT & Wanado speeds (on screen meters?-I am not sure), but
they were absolutely convinced that on the same "quoted" line speed of 1Mb
BT was "MUCH" faster that Wanado!
Anybody any thoughts to offer, please?
Thanks for any help
U W

Old February 28th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

UnoWhoo wrote:
: I guy at work commented that he and some others had done side by side
: comparisons of BT & Wanado speeds (on screen meters?-I am not sure), but
: they were absolutely convinced that on the same "quoted" line speed of 1Mb
: BT was "MUCH" faster that Wanado!
: Anybody any thoughts to offer, please?

It's EXTREMELY unlikely! Wanadoo were second (and NOT to BT!) in real-world
speed ratings for January - as measured by users of the services in various
locations - see
(http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2096)
Old February 28th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
UnoWhoo wrote:
: I guy at work commented that he and some others had done side by side
: comparisons of BT & Wanado speeds (on screen meters?-I am not sure), but
: they were absolutely convinced that on the same "quoted" line speed of

1Mb
: BT was "MUCH" faster that Wanado!
: Anybody any thoughts to offer, please?

It's EXTREMELY unlikely! Wanadoo were second (and NOT to BT!) in

real-world
speed ratings for January - as measured by users of the services in

various
locations - see
(http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2096)

TBH with less than 2% at best between the top 10 providers the table has no
significant meaning.

Ian

Old February 28th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

UnoWhoo wrote:

Hi all
I am new to the group and considering BB especially with the revision of
prices - and the fact that I can now get it here in the country!
I guy at work commented that he and some others had done side by side
comparisons of BT & Wanado speeds (on screen meters?-I am not sure), but
they were absolutely convinced that on the same "quoted" line speed of 1Mb
BT was "MUCH" faster that Wanado!
Anybody any thoughts to offer, please?
Thanks for any help
U W

For ADSL speed is irrelevant to your ISP choice. The maximum speed you
can get depends on the state of your phone line, the actual speed at any
instant depends on the server at the far end.
To choose a supplier you need to think of how much data you want per
month, what extras you'd like with the account (mail, webspace,
newsgroups) and how easy they are to deal with. After that it is price
and how you pay ('free' kit [1]).
TBH BT and Wannado fail on all counts !

Bill

[1] free: adj.
7 a (OED definition) available without charge; costing nothing.
7 b (when used in relation to an ADSL package) costing as much over a
year as paying it up front and continuing to be charged 5 extra a month
for ever.

Old March 1st 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnoWhoo

Thanks all
very useful info and link.
Cheers