Pipex upgrade - how will I know when it is activated?

Old March 1st 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

Default Pipex upgrade - how will I know when it is activated?

I have been running a download speed check every day since the
announcement - is there any other way to find out when the upgrade is
activated?

I ask as I have had problems over the last couple of weeks with intermittent
slow speeds on my 1mb connection returning below 500 bps. After a visit from
BT who found no problems, I am currently getting 900 - 950. For all I know I
may now have a 2mb connection running at half speed.

Cheers

Old March 1st 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Fred:
I have been running a download speed check every day since the
announcement - is there any other way to find out when the upgrade is
activated?

I ask as I have had problems over the last couple of weeks with
intermittent slow speeds on my 1mb connection returning below 500
bps. After a visit from BT who found no problems, I am currently
getting 900 - 950. For all I know I may now have a 2mb connection
running at half speed.
Cheers

Surely when you connect it will tell you what speed you have connected to,
either 1.1mbps or 2.2 mbps.

If not using a USB modem, then on a page in your router setup.

Old March 1st 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Fred wrote:
I have been running a download speed check every day since the
announcement - is there any other way to find out when the upgrade is
activated?

I ask as I have had problems over the last couple of weeks with intermittent
slow speeds on my 1mb connection returning below 500 bps. After a visit from
BT who found no problems, I am currently getting 900 - 950. For all I know I
may now have a 2mb connection running at half speed.

Cheers

Check your connection speed from the modem 1 Mb will be just over 1000
and 2Mb will be just over 2000.

As for when, I have heard it said that any time before 31st August 2005,
but donít quote me on that as Pipex don't appear to know them selves. I
suggest you follow other similar threads, both here and on
www.adslguide.org.uk

Regards
Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with . moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna
Old March 1st 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Andrew Welham wrote:
Fred wrote:

As for when, I have heard it said that any time before 31st August 2005,
but donít quote me on that as Pipex don't appear to know them selves.

I phoned Pipex yesterday. They told me the work by BT starts today, and
runs until Aug 31. They couldn't tell me whether BT consider my line OK
for 1Mb/s use or not (I only just scraped in with 512k by going on the
'5.5-6.0 km long reach trial' 18 months ago).

BTW My Router says:-

Noise Margin 19.5 dB
Attenuation 63.5 dB
Output Power 17 (what units I wonder ?)

Whether that's good enough for 1Meg I dunno ?

--
Mark
Old March 1st 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Billy

Have a look here for information re upgrade

http://www.pipexsupport.com/tools/whooshmonitor.php

Billy
No valid email

Old March 2nd 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Noise Margin 19.5 dB
Attenuation 63.5 dB
Output Power 17 (what units I wonder ?)

Whether that's good enough for 1Meg I dunno ?

That's exactly the same as my readings and I recently upraded to 1M
(Works perfectly, no drop outs) I did need to send an email to BT to
get them to change their database otherwise my ISP wouldn't accept the
regrade request, cos the checker said no to 1M.

btw my Noise margin dropped the expected 6dB to 13.6dB.

Hope that helps

Nige

Old March 2nd 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In article , Mark Carver
writes
wrote:
Noise Margin 19.5 dB
Attenuation 63.5 dB
Output Power 17 (what units I wonder ?)

Whether that's good enough for 1Meg I dunno ?

That's exactly the same as my readings and I recently upraded to 1M
(Works perfectly, no drop outs) I did need to send an email to BT to
get them to change their database otherwise my ISP wouldn't accept the
regrade request, cos the checker said no to 1M.

That's what both the BT checker, and 'samknows' says.

What was the e-mail address you used ?
(Mungle it up if you post it, coz otherwise they will never see my
message thanks to all the resulting spam harvesting from usenet)

Exactly what I was going to ask :-) The BT checker, samknows and the
Pipex site all say I can't get 1mb.

According to my router I am getting SNR of around 19 and attenuation of
43.5, so 1mb shouldn't be a problem in theory.

btw my Noise margin dropped the expected 6dB to 13.6dB.
Hope that helps

It does !

--
Sean Black
Old March 12th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 16 db 18 db

The above is the figure from my Netgear All in One Modem / Router WiFi
Access device

is the figures good or bad?

Can someone explain them to me and tell me what to look out for - I'm
with Pipex ADSL 512 kb/s service and awaiting my free 1 mb/s upgrade

but also consideringht Talk Talk £14.99 offer for 1 mb/s