How much better is 1 or 2mb

Old March 1st 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default How much better is 1 or 2mb

As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Ken

Old March 1st 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Ken" [email protected] wrote in message
As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Surfing the net is downloading - you download data from the web server. A
faster line will improve the speed at which highly graphical sites are
displayed as most browsers will only open up to 4 connections to a web site,
so with a lot of images on a page you get serialisation of the image
downloading - the faster you can download an image, the faster the next will
be downloaded. You also get faster downloading of the initial HTML, so the
browser can go off and start downloading images quicker - however, for most
sites this won't appear to give any noticeable improvement as HTML pages
tend to be quite small amounts of data.

Dan

Old March 1st 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Godfrey

"Ken" [email protected] wrote in message
As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Ken

Pretty much, you might notice some websites load slightly faster if they
have a lot of graphics/flash/etc.

Old March 1st 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Paul Godfrey" wrote in message
"Ken" [email protected] wrote in message
As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Ken

Pretty much, you might notice some websites load slightly faster if they
have a lot of graphics/flash/etc.

I would agree, I`m on 2 meg and once the page is found it will download
quicker but there is still that same delay whilst your browser locates the
page.

Old March 1st 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oh God It's Him Again

Yeeaaahhh but the faster downloading is what makes it worth it - although
some downloads seem to be slowed down by the vendor not supplying fast
enough.

Old March 1st 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Oh
God It's Him Again writes
Yeeaaahhh but the faster downloading is what makes it worth it -

Also the fact that you can use phone and internet at the same time.

--
Thoss
Old March 1st 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:33:43 -0000, "Ken" [email protected] wrote:

As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Ken

Depends entirely on the size of the file you're receiving.

It's down to how TCP works - it will start with a "slow" data rate and
ramp it up as the server and your router "chat" to each other while
you're downloading. That's also why larger downloads seem to start
slow, get faster, then level off at a certain speed.

Google for TCP transmission window if you're interested in finding out
more.

For small HTML documents with little or no graphics you probably won't
notice a difference between different access speeds, as the
transmission window hasn't had chance to open fully by the time the
document's been delivered.

Jake

Old March 1st 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hayward

"Spack" wrote in message
"Ken" [email protected] wrote in message
As far as I understand it it makes little difference when surfing the

net
only when downloading.

Is this true?

Surfing the net is downloading - you download data from the web server. A
faster line will improve the speed at which highly graphical sites are
displayed as most browsers will only open up to 4 connections to a web

site,

Open up more 'max connections'