A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Ditch Demon?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 1st 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 287
Default Ditch Demon?

"William" wrote in message
...
I have Demon Express 512kbps for 24.99 per month which seems
relatively expensive. If I was to change to their Home product - same
speed at 19.99 per month, I would have to suffer some 2 weeks without
a service. Is there a better option than Demon, or are Demon likely
to reduce prices soon?


Are they both ADSL products? If so them I'm surprised because I always
found Demon very good (had their dial-up for years). I've since switched to
Onetel ADLS (don't even bother asking about _their_ customer
lack-of-service) purely on cost considerations (I already use their cheap
phone calls etc - cheapest overall phone/internet/Internation call package)
but had I managed to sort out an overall package, I'd have happily stayed
with Demon.

You get what you pay for. 19.99 for ADSL is not a bad cost unless you want
to start rolling in phone etc. and creating a package. I'd talk to Demon
again, mentioning you're considering going elsewhere and get them to sort
out this 2 week gap. My guess is they will manage that ;-).

Paul DS.


  #2  
Old March 1st 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default Ditch Demon?

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:56:25 UTC, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"William" wrote in message
...
I have Demon Express 512kbps for 24.99 per month which seems
relatively expensive. If I was to change to their Home product - same
speed at 19.99 per month, I would have to suffer some 2 weeks without
a service. Is there a better option than Demon, or are Demon likely
to reduce prices soon?


Are they both ADSL products? If so them I'm surprised because I always
found Demon very good (had their dial-up for years). I've since switched to
Onetel ADLS (don't even bother asking about _their_ customer
lack-of-service) purely on cost considerations (I already use their cheap
phone calls etc - cheapest overall phone/internet/Internation call package)
but had I managed to sort out an overall package, I'd have happily stayed
with Demon.

You get what you pay for. 19.99 for ADSL is not a bad cost unless you want
to start rolling in phone etc. and creating a package. I'd talk to Demon
again, mentioning you're considering going elsewhere and get them to sort
out this 2 week gap. My guess is they will manage that ;-).


Demon Express is a business product, and Home is a residential product.
That's a BT imposed delay, I expect. Although migration ought to be
simpler...but it does require actual work by BT, as it's a different BT
wholesdlae product.
  #3  
Old March 1st 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 376
Default Ditch Demon?

On 1 Mar 2005 09:10:28 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Demon Express is a business product, and Home is a residential product.
That's a BT imposed delay, I expect. Although migration ought to be
simpler...but it does require actual work by BT, as it's a different BT
wholesdlae product.


Demon have never marketed the Express range as a business product. It
was replaced in January with the HomeOffice range which is also not
marketed as a business product, although it seems rather closer to one
than the offerings of many other ISP's.

I believe the reason for the long gap is that migration is not
possible between the services due to the unusual way in which Demon
products are provisioned. Any movement, therefore, requires a cease
and reprovide - hence the long downtime.

I very much doubt there's anything Demon can do to reduce that very
much. Having been with Demon myself for a long time before migrating
away due to the relatively high cost of their products (I didn't need
uncapped) I would be inclined to say leave. Demon's tolerates
customers, a necessary evil of business. Freedom2Surf actually look
after theirs. I'd never go back to Demon now.
  #4  
Old March 1st 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default Ditch Demon?

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:43:30 UTC, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

On 1 Mar 2005 09:10:28 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Demon Express is a business product, and Home is a residential product.
That's a BT imposed delay, I expect. Although migration ought to be
simpler...but it does require actual work by BT, as it's a different BT
wholesdlae product.


Demon have never marketed the Express range as a business product.


They list two Express products under 'Business' on their website...

It
was replaced in January with the HomeOffice range which is also not
marketed as a business product, although it seems rather closer to one
than the offerings of many other ISP's.

I believe the reason for the long gap is that migration is not
possible between the services due to the unusual way in which Demon
products are provisioned. Any movement, therefore, requires a cease
and reprovide - hence the long downtime.


That was basically what I was trying to say.

(no, I'm not a Demon customer)

  #5  
Old March 1st 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 376
Default Ditch Demon?

On 1 Mar 2005 10:20:29 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:43:30 UTC, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

On 1 Mar 2005 09:10:28 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Demon Express is a business product, and Home is a residential product.
That's a BT imposed delay, I expect. Although migration ought to be
simpler...but it does require actual work by BT, as it's a different BT
wholesdlae product.


Demon have never marketed the Express range as a business product.


They list two Express products under 'Business' on their website...


The OP says "Demon Express for 24.99". This was their 50:1 Express
package which was discontinued in January and replaced with the
HomeOffice range.

The packages mentioned on the business pages are Express Plus and
Express Pro, 20:1 packages at 50 and 100 a month respectively, so
not the same thing.

I believe the reason for the long gap is that migration is not
possible between the services due to the unusual way in which Demon
products are provisioned. Any movement, therefore, requires a cease
and reprovide - hence the long downtime.


That was basically what I was trying to say.


Seemingly Demon have even had issues migrating people from HomeOffice
500 to HomeOffice 1000.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Demon realbroadband WestYorkshireman uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 19 November 26th 04 01:54 PM
DEMON ADSL? Cap Smith uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 November 3rd 04 01:51 PM
Alternative to Demon DRD uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 October 13th 04 12:28 PM
How Good/Bad are Demon Jeff Gaines uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 August 16th 04 09:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.