Wireless Broadband

Old March 1st 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wireless Broadband

Will the UK ever get a wireless broadband service I wonder.

I'm fed up having to pay extrotionate rates to use hot-spots when I am not
at home.

They are claiming that the next generation of 3G-type kit will be capable of
fast broadband speeds, but knowing the telcom providers they will rip us off
for access.

Old March 1st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

K wrote:
Will the UK ever get a wireless broadband service I wonder.

I'm fed up having to pay extrotionate rates to use hot-spots when I am not
at home.

They are claiming that the next generation of 3G-type kit will be capable of
fast broadband speeds, but knowing the telcom providers they will rip us off
for access.

I'm pretty sure if you walk around near a hot spot you will find some
'freeband' around. Most people seem to be scared of WEP and the like.
Old March 1st 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article ,
says...
Will the UK ever get a wireless broadband service I wonder.

Already exists.

I'm fed up having to pay extrotionate rates to use hot-spots when I am not
at home.

Such is life.

They are claiming that the next generation of 3G-type kit will be capable of
fast broadband speeds, but knowing the telcom providers they will rip us off
for access.

Current 3G can do 300k odd.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old March 2nd 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

johnydeath wrote:

K wrote:
Will the UK ever get a wireless broadband service I wonder.

I'm fed up having to pay extrotionate rates to use hot-spots when I am not
at home.

They are claiming that the next generation of 3G-type kit will be capable of
fast broadband speeds, but knowing the telcom providers they will rip us off
for access.

I'm pretty sure if you walk around near a hot spot you will find some
'freeband' around. Most people seem to be scared of WEP and the like.

What do you mean? I'm not scared of it- but I'm darned if I know how to
get on it!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old March 2nd 05, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
What do you mean? I'm not scared of it- but I'm darned if I know how to
get on it!

Are you asking "how do I set-up WEP"? FYI, you should use WPA-PSK anyway
which is more secure but also not tricky to set up. If you want more
details, confirm you need help and I, or someone else, will jump in ;-).

Paul DS.