Skype problems with routers and NAT

Old March 1st 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Skype problems with routers and NAT

A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router. He has a
DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype might disrupt his
business through his DLINK router. He has asked me to look into this
matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not technical so the
question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
worry and help me to help him be reassured.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old March 1st 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router. He has a
DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype might disrupt his
business through his DLINK router. He has asked me to look into this
matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not technical so the
question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
worry and help me to help him be reassured.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

I run skype through a nat based router.
All i had to do is forward a port, which you can change to what you want in
the skype options.
Thats it!!

Old March 1st 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , SwissTony
writes

[...]

I run Skype through a Draytek router using NAT and I didn't have to do
anything, other than let it out through ZoneAlarm on the PC.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old March 1st 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart M

"SwissTony" wrote in message

[...]

I also run Skype through a nat router and I dont have any ports forwarded
(none for Skype anyway). I also have filter rules blocking all incoming as
well as Zone Alarm (in which Skype has no server rights).
I haven't used it extensively but it seems to work fine. People call me, I
call them. Chat works. Maybe the open incoming are for file transfers? Ive
never used this feature.

Doesn't say anything about it here. Just needs outgoing.
http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html

Old March 1st 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

I also run Skype through a nat router and I dont have any ports forwarded
(none for Skype anyway). I also have filter rules blocking all incoming as
well as Zone Alarm (in which Skype has no server rights).
I haven't used it extensively but it seems to work fine. People call me, I
call them. Chat works. Maybe the open incoming are for file transfers? Ive
never used this feature.

Doesn't say anything about it here. Just needs outgoing.
http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html

I think i opened a port, cause i was doing the conference call thing and was
having minor sound issues.
Opening a port fixed it though.

Old March 1st 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

SwissTony wrote:
[...]

I didn't even have to do that. Installed Skype, it worked, simple.

Now all I have to do is figure out why my PC won't install the drivers for
my Cyberphone-K USB handset.....

Ivor

Old March 1st 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Ivor Jones
writes

Now all I have to do is figure out why my PC won't install the drivers for
my Cyberphone-K USB handset.....

With Skype already up and running, IIRC, I just ran the "VoIPVoice
Integration.msi" from the root of the CD and it just worked. (Win2k)

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old March 2nd 05, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

bof wrote:
In message , Ivor Jones
writes

Now all I have to do is figure out why my PC won't install the
drivers for my Cyberphone-K USB handset.....

With Skype already up and running, IIRC, I just ran the "VoIPVoice
Integration.msi" from the root of the CD and it just worked. (Win2k)

So did I, and it isn't..!

Ivor

Old March 2nd 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

Should work fine. Skype will connect out to find a Skype box outside of the
NAT. This creates a pin-hole through the NAT (just like any other program
such as IE would do). Calls then get to you via this NAT pin-hole, which
your Skype keeps open using periodic "ping-like" messages.

Paul DS.