mail problems on ADSL connection

Old March 1st 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
iain robinson

Default mail problems on ADSL connection

I'm having problems with email for a friend I'm helping. He has a
broadband account at home that doesn't come with any email. I have set
him up with first a Wanadoo account and then a BT Internet account but
none seem to be able to send emails using his broadband connection
(although both will receive mails okay). I know that some ISPs restrict
what mail can be sent using their servers, ie, only those sent using
their connections/from their domain, but I was sure that the BT
addresses don't have this problem. Am I just plain wrong? I was sure I
setup the BT account and then send an email from that account on my PC
(using my ADSL connection, non-BT) and it went okay but maybe I'm wrong....

How do you guys send emails from an account that is not from the same
supplier as your broadband supplier? Any miracles greatly received - I'm
pulling my hair out over this!

TIA,
Iain
Old March 1st 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"iain robinson" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC you have to use the BT connection when sending email. Your friend is
better off setting up a webmail account like Yahoo or Hotmail.

Old March 1st 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

iain robinson wrote:
[...]

I think it is only the premium email accounts from BT which allow
sending from other ISPs. Better to look at www.1and1.co.uk for their
Instant Mail at 0.69 per month and a domain name for 10 per annum.
You get to use authenticated smtp from any connection.

JP
Old March 2nd 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:06:17 +0000, John wrote:

iain robinson wrote:
[...]

Been there, read the book, seen the play and the film etc. You simply enhance the account by buying
email facilities from BT or the perhaps the company named in the previous post.

That may be OK but if you are using your own Domain name for email purposes you may find that the
SMTP server rejects the oputgoing mail. To overcome this, call the SMTP provider to arrange for an
eception to be made for you.

Consider really in the long term to move over to a Broadband provider that actually provides email
facilities. With free migrations to be found out there, you could actually find the complete package
cheaper than the combination of a basic service from BT and an add-on of email facilities.

David Bradley

Old March 2nd 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

David Bradley wrote:
|| Been there, read the book, seen the play and the film etc. You
|| simply enhance the account by buying email facilities from BT or the
|| perhaps the company named in the previous post.
|| That may be OK but if you are using your own Domain name for email
|| purposes you may find that the SMTP server rejects the oputgoing
|| mail. To overcome this, call the SMTP provider to arrange for an
|| eception to be made for you.

I'm on Broadband (Eclipse) provided by a third-party so I don't have Eclipse
email and news. I have my own domain, hosted by Heart Internet and have
absolutely no problem access and sending email through the Heart Internet
smtp server. All you have to do is, in the settings for the mail account,
make sure that you check the "Outgoing mail server needs authentication" box
and everything should be OK.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 2nd 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dgibbon

John wrote in message ...
iain robinson wrote:
[...]

You may have to change your email client configuration so that
outgoing email goes via your broadband ISP mail server.
I had a similar problem whe i got broadband BT, i was no longer able
to send email from my boltblue.com account, when i changed the
outgoing email server in the outlook client to the bt mail server all
worked fine
Old March 2nd 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

John wrote in message ...
iain robinson wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys - that doesn't surprise me, that it's not possible, but I
was sure I had got it to work but I was setting up so many accounts
for so many people on so many different machines that I obviously was
mistaken!

Was really looking for a free solution but if that's not possible it's
up to them to pay up some pennies!

thanks again,
Iain
Old March 2nd 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

Iain wrote:
|| John wrote in message
||| I think it is only the premium email accounts from BT which allow
||| sending from other ISPs. Better to look at www.1and1.co.uk for their
||| Instant Mail at 0.69 per month and a domain name for 10 per
||| annum. You get to use authenticated smtp from any connection.
||| JP
|| Thanks guys - that doesn't surprise me, that it's not possible, but I
|| was sure I had got it to work but I was setting up so many accounts
|| for so many people on so many different machines that I obviously was
|| mistaken!
|| Was really looking for a free solution but if that's not possible
|| it's
|| up to them to pay up some pennies!
|| thanks again,
|| Iain

It certainly IS possible! I'm doing it myself right now. My email and domain
host is Heart Internet and my broadband is Eclipse. I send through the Heart
Internet smtp by authenticating. Works OK for me.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 2nd 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:52:47 -0000, "Gordon" wrote:

Iain wrote:
|| John wrote in message
||| I think it is only the premium email accounts from BT which allow
||| sending from other ISPs. Better to look at www.1and1.co.uk for their
||| Instant Mail at 0.69 per month and a domain name for 10 per
||| annum. You get to use authenticated smtp from any connection.
||| JP
|| Thanks guys - that doesn't surprise me, that it's not possible, but I
|| was sure I had got it to work but I was setting up so many accounts
|| for so many people on so many different machines that I obviously was
|| mistaken!
|| Was really looking for a free solution but if that's not possible
|| it's
|| up to them to pay up some pennies!
|| thanks again,
|| Iain

It certainly IS possible! I'm doing it myself right now. My email and domain
host is Heart Internet and my broadband is Eclipse. I send through the Heart
Internet smtp by authenticating. Works OK for me.

This is a confusing response to the OP, Gordon. I doubt that the Heart Internet gives the mailing
facility for free and you are using Eclipse as your Broadband provider. Nobody would disagree that
what you are doing actually works and in fact you are living proof!

Coming back to the basic BT service which does not have email facilities, a solution adopted by some
is to sign up for a BT PAYG account , I believe both the POP3 and SMTP servers will accept
connectivity via Broadband. It won't be entirely free because you have to occasionally dial into the
PAYG account to keep it alive.

David Bradley

Old March 2nd 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Gordon" wrote in message
Iain wrote:
|| John wrote in message
||| I think it is only the premium email accounts from BT which allow
||| sending from other ISPs. Better to look at www.1and1.co.uk for their
||| Instant Mail at 0.69 per month and a domain name for 10 per
||| annum. You get to use authenticated smtp from any connection.
||| JP
|| Thanks guys - that doesn't surprise me, that it's not possible, but I
|| was sure I had got it to work but I was setting up so many accounts
|| for so many people on so many different machines that I obviously was
|| mistaken!
|| Was really looking for a free solution but if that's not possible
|| it's
|| up to them to pay up some pennies!
|| thanks again,
|| Iain

It certainly IS possible! I'm doing it myself right now. My email and

domain
host is Heart Internet and my broadband is Eclipse. I send through the

Heart
Internet smtp by authenticating. Works OK for me.

As you say if you use a SMTP server that authenticates then yes it will work
as you say BUT its not free as you pay for your hosting and part of the
payment covers the smtp server, Few if any free SMTP servers exist that will
work from any network, Orange is one but you still sort of pay as you need
an Orange account. But AFAIK free as in you dont pay the company for any
services, I dont know of any.

As has been sad BT provide a service as do most domain companies.

Of course you could just run your own SMTP server then all this doesnt
matter, As long as your IP range isnt in the Sorbs lists.

Ian