BT DSL Engineers?

Old March 2nd 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

Default BT DSL Engineers?

Hi,
Couple of questions if there is anyone about who works on BT DSL
Activations.

I got "activated" nearly 7 weeks ago now, after 3 1/2 weeks delay due to
capacity issues I then tried to connect, sync to the exchange fine but
no connection to [email protected]_domain.

Raise a fault with my ISP, who then pass it to BT.

Appear the line was cross jumpered and a cease/reprovide was needed to
fix it.

So, now comes the fun.

BT apparantly ceased the line, unplugged it (apparantly) from the DSLAM
and gave the port to another punter inbetween the the cease and the
reprovide...great, cheers!

So, apparantly disconnect, but still got sync, still cant connect to
[email protected]_domain.

This problem has been expedited through BT management to get it sorted
althouh they have said the 18th is the earliest there will be any ports
free.

So, last night, about 23:30 the routers Internet light sprang into
action and it connected to [email protected]_domain, great, change the
username and get connected? no, not that simple!

Anyway, this now looksl ike there is light at the end of the tunnel, its
connected a PPP session for the first time in 7 weeks, so get intouch
with my ISP today, who chase it up with BT.

Their answer, nothing has been done, there is no capacity but i will
always be able to connect to [email protected]_domain once ADSL has been
activated on a line (even after a cease)

Now, if the line is synching, able to connect to the RAS to auth with BT
then surely this is a simple RADIUS config issue or SSB thats not been
setup correctly and hence i cant connect to the ISPs network and only BTS.

Any advice?
I would like clarification on what appears below from BT, as to me it
seems plain wrong that they are under the impression im not connected in
the exhcange yet i can connect to the bt_test fine!

Cheers

Ben

Email from BT Wholesale "Broadband Co-ordinator"

They can connect on the bt test page as the frames were not recovered on
the adsl cease. Not recovering the frame is standard on cease &
provides. The linecards are still there but the ports and radius
connections are gone. Because the ports etc were recovered the line is
connecting to the test page rather than a domain.
Old March 2nd 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

You should also be able to connect with: [email protected] (your ISP domain)
which will prove the fault into your ISP if you can connect with it, but not
with your username/password.

Phill H

Old March 2nd 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

P H wrote:
You should also be able to connect with: [email protected] (your ISP domain)
which will prove the fault into your ISP if you can connect with it, but not
with your username/password.

Phill H

Yes, im aware of that. No, it doesnt connect either!

I just dont believe that im not activated when it syncs and connects
with [email protected]_domain

Ben (mad!)
Old March 2nd 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ben wrote:
P H wrote:
You should also be able to connect with: [email protected] (your ISP
domain) which will prove the fault into your ISP if you can connect
with it, but not with your username/password.

Phill H

Yes, im aware of that. No, it doesnt connect either!

I just dont believe that im not activated when it syncs and connects
with [email protected]_domain

Ben (mad!)

bt_test will connect on any ip-stream port, but if the port is not
configured for your account (in doing so routed for your ISP) you are up the
creek & can't do anything.

The only thing you do know from what you're reporting is that you are
connected to an active port on a DSLAM at your local exchange...

Old March 2nd 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

kraftee wrote:
Ben wrote:

P H wrote:

You should also be able to connect with: [email protected] (your ISP
domain) which will prove the fault into your ISP if you can connect
with it, but not with your username/password.

Phill H

Yes, im aware of that. No, it doesnt connect either!

I just dont believe that im not activated when it syncs and connects
with [email protected]_domain

Ben (mad!)

bt_test will connect on any ip-stream port, but if the port is not
configured for your account (in doing so routed for your ISP) you are up the
creek & can't do anything.

Exactly what I thought, however, BTw state

"They can connect on the bt test page as the frames were not recovered
on the adsl cease. Not recovering the frame is standard on cease &
provides. The linecards are still there but the ports and radius
connections are gone. Because the ports etc were recovered the line is
connecting to the test page rather than a domain."

And are citing a capacity issue at the exchange (ports?) as the reason
for a delay until the 18th (Again!)

Now, if Im connected to a port, but not a configured one, surely
capacity has nothing to do with it as it just requires a config and
RADIUS setup?

The only thing you do know from what you're reporting is that you are
connected to an active port on a DSLAM at your local exchange...

Thats what I thought, BTw however do not agree

Ben
Old March 2nd 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ben wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Ben wrote:

P H wrote:

[...]

Software switching, no more no less. You don't really believe they have
people running around removing cards & plugging them in elsewhere (I know
you don't but you may be suprised...)

And are citing a capacity issue at the exchange (ports?) as the reason
for a delay until the 18th (Again!)

It could be upstream bandwidth from the exchange to the ATM network....

Now, if Im connected to a port, but not a configured one, surely
capacity has nothing to do with it as it just requires a config and
RADIUS setup?

The only thing you do know from what you're reporting is that you are
connected to an active port on a DSLAM at your local exchange...

Thats what I thought, BTw however do not agree

As I said, it's all down to the software switching & possible upstream
bandwidth problems, be patient it will be worth it honest....

Ben

Old March 2nd 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

kraftee wrote:
Ben wrote:

Exactly what I thought, however, BTw state

"They can connect on the bt test page as the frames were not recovered
on the adsl cease. Not recovering the frame is standard on cease &
provides. The linecards are still there but the ports and radius
connections are gone. Because the ports etc were recovered the line is
connecting to the test page rather than a domain."

Software switching, no more no less. You don't really believe they have
people running around removing cards & plugging them in elsewhere (I know
you don't but you may be suprised...)

Nope :-) Although obviously the upgrades would require some hands on work.

And are citing a capacity issue at the exchange (ports?) as the reason
for a delay until the 18th (Again!)

It could be upstream bandwidth from the exchange to the ATM network....

VP Capacity is showing as red, i wouldnt of thought that would stop new
activations though, money is money! ;-)

Now, if Im connected to a port, but not a configured one, surely
capacity has nothing to do with it as it just requires a config and
RADIUS setup?

The only thing you do know from what you're reporting is that you are
connected to an active port on a DSLAM at your local exchange...

Thats what I thought, BTw however do not agree

As I said, it's all down to the software switching & possible upstream
bandwidth problems, be patient it will be worth it honest....

I know, Ive had broadband since 2000, Telewest never took 7 weeks to do
an install, let alone an activation! First time with ADSL but worked
with it for the past 5 years ;-)

Ben
Old March 2nd 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

As an update to this, after a bit of playing I thought id try a few
different realms.

logs in fine!

Starting to look like im getting the run around

Ben
Old March 2nd 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:50:02 +0000, [Ben] said :-

As an update to this, after a bit of playing I thought id try a few
different realms.

logs in fine!

Starting to look like im getting the run around

Ben

Is your ISP BT Broadband or BTYahoo! broadband ?

If so - your login address will be of the form :-

(unless you are an older type of BTYahoo! broadband, where login can
be of the form
- and x you will know)

where "me" can be anything you want, hence you can login using the
bt_test_user as above.
Old March 2nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

Spin Dryer wrote:

Is your ISP BT Broadband or BTYahoo! broadband ?

If so - your login address will be of the form :-

no, its plus.net,
!

Ben