Upgrade feasible?

Old March 2nd 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

Default Upgrade feasible?

Greetings gentlefolks...

As Freedom2Surf are currently offering upgrades without an
upgrade fee (until 31 March) I'm considering an increase from my
current 512kbps service.

Can anyone here say from the following figures whether a 2mb
service would be a realistic possibility, or if I should look at
the 1mb offering (is even *that* feasible)?

Tech details - Athlon-based system on a MSI m/board, Win XP Pro,
ADSL via that old favourite the Origo 4-port modem/router (a
terrific bit of kit in my experience) as I have 2 PCs on the
network.

The router chucks out the following figures:

SNR margin - downstream 24 - 25.5, upstream steady 29

Line attenuation - downstream 52.9 - 53.3, upstream solid 24.5

Latency - downstream and upstream both 'fast'

I don't want to put in for the 2mb service if it's blatantly
unrealistic or if it's likely to result in the type of
instability that seems to go with stretching ADSL to the limit...

Any thoughts, people?

Martin D. Pay
Hopeful!
Old March 2nd 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Martin D. Pay wrote:
[...]

If your diagnostics are accurate, as it stands, 1MB is all you can get & get
it easily, unfortunately those figures are outside the present spec for a
2MB service...

Old March 2nd 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:13:21 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com mangled uncounted electrons thus:

Martin D. Pay wrote:
Greetings gentlefolks...

As Freedom2Surf are currently offering upgrades without an
upgrade fee (until 31 March) I'm considering an increase from my
current 512kbps service.

Can anyone here say from the following figures whether a 2mb
service would be a realistic possibility, or if I should look at
the 1mb offering (is even *that* feasible)?

snip specs

I don't want to put in for the 2mb service if it's blatantly
unrealistic or if it's likely to result in the type of
instability that seems to go with stretching ADSL to the limit...

Any thoughts, people?

If your diagnostics are accurate, as it stands, 1MB is all you can get & get
it easily, unfortunately those figures are outside the present spec for a
2MB service...

Thanks for that; it confirms pretty much what I suspected. And I
think the diagnostics are reasonably accurate - I took them over
2 different evenings.

I guess I'll put in for the 1mb service... ^_-

Martin D. Pay
Pleased that any upgrade seems feasible!
Old March 4th 05, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:14:53 +0000, Martin D. Pay
wrote:

The router chucks out the following figures:
SNR margin - downstream 24 - 25.5, upstream steady 29
Line attenuation - downstream 52.9 - 53.3, upstream solid 24.5

that would be fine for 2M were it not for BT's current limits which
you fall outside. It'll carry 2M easily but the www.bt.com/broadband
number checker may say its not availablle.

Each doubling of speed takes about 6 dB off the margin, so you would
go to ~12 dB at 2M which is healthy enough, however BT's attenuation
limit is 43 dB which you are outside.

Phil