Upgrade to 1M

Old March 2nd 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glenn

Default Upgrade to 1M

I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster service.
Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I am not
convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a loop
distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

Would be grateful for ant answers.

Thanks

Glenn

Old March 2nd 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Glenn wrote:
I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster
service. Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I
am not convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a
loop distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

Would be grateful for ant answers.

Thanks

Glenn

Well your SNR will preclude you although your atten appears to be ok, but
what the blazes is 10k foot?????

Check out your internal wiring, try your service from the back/test socket
on your NTE5 & see what it is like there, remember if you did increase your
speed your SNR would go even lower (possibly as far a 6 points) & you are
very low now & any lower could become unstable....

This is of course taking your router measurements are accurate (sometimes
they are & equally as often they are wildly out...)

Old March 2nd 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:11:21 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Glenn wrote:
I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster
service. Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I
am not convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a
loop distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

Would be grateful for ant answers.

Thanks

Glenn

Well your SNR will preclude you although your atten appears to be ok, but
what the blazes is 10k foot?????

10,000 feet.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Those who can, do. Those who can't, supervise!

Old March 2nd 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:02:33 -0000, "Glenn"
wrote:

I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster service.
Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I am not
convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a loop
distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

With that attenuation, you would expect to be OK, but your SNR is way
low.

That is surprising, most people with that sort of attenuation seem to
have more like 20dB SNR. As Kraftee says, this could be a problem with
your internal wiring.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Glenn wrote:
I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster service.
Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I am not
convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a loop
distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

Would be grateful for ant answers.

Thats a very very poor quality line. With an SNR of 7 you're lucky your
existing connection is working. It definately wont work at 1mbit.

The attenuation is within 1mb limits but the SNR isnt. As others have
said that could well be internal wiring or microfilters at fault.
Try the thing just plugged into the master socket, no other phones and
use a new/different adsl filter to see if that makes a difference.
If it doesnt, you're out of luck.

FWIW my line is 50db attenuation and SNR of 30db at 512k (dropped to
24db when i upgraded) and MY line is bad for the length it is (3.55km)

Paul Honiss, corrupt, incompetent and death is too kind.
France 18 - 24 Paul Honiss. Someone sack this imbecile now.
Old March 3rd 05, 03:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

wrote:

I am a very happy Pipex user who would like to move to a faster service.
Currently on 512, BT site says I do not qualify for 1M but I am not
convinced.

Specs reported by router are SNR 7dB, downstream atten. 50dB with a loop
distance of 10k foot. (not plugged into master socket)

Would the above qualify me for an upgrade to 1M?

With that attenuation, you would expect to be OK, but your SNR is way
low.

That is surprising, most people with that sort of attenuation seem to
have more like 20dB SNR. As Kraftee says, this could be a problem with
your internal wiring.

S/N ratio depends on S and N. having a 56k PCI modem plugged into the same
socket as the ADSL filter lost me 4-5 db of S/N on the ADSL modem stats.

Maybe he has something noisy plugged into the phone line or plugged in
without a filter.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

wrote:

[...]

My specs with Pipex are -65dB with a S/N ratio of 6.5dB. I have had
faultless performance for the last 15 months.

My last house in the heady days where -59dB was the absolute working
limit, again with Pipex, was -69dB with -3.5dB S/N (I managed to fall
through the net and get it enabled). It used to work from dawn to dusk
in winter, and all day in summer. Some of the older frequenters of this
ng may recall the discussions about it.

Old March 4th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glenn

Connecting direct to the BT master socket with the face plate removed gives
an SNR of 16.5dB.

Presumably the birds nest of wires to connect the Sky+ box are to blame.

Would a SNR of 16.5dB (assuming I get internal wiring sorted) bo OK for 1M?

Thanks

news

Old March 4th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

On 2005-03-04 17:08:35 +0000, "Glenn" said:

Connecting direct to the BT master socket with the face plate removed
gives an SNR of 16.5dB.

Presumably the birds nest of wires to connect the Sky+ box are to blame.

Would a SNR of 16.5dB (assuming I get internal wiring sorted) bo OK for 1M?

Thanks

All this stuff is smoke and mirrors.

I got 1mb with these figures:

Att: 52

SN: 12

With internal wiring unplugged:

Att: 52

SN: 25

But line was tested with internal wiring connected.

Quick check now:

Att: 60

SN: 6

So what gives! It's been fine, no dropouts, no disconnects, forgot the
download speeds but they were waht u'd expect from 1mb line. I don't
use it much, got cable as well so i can\t remember. It\s for work
really and the statics are important for that.

Ste