Nildram price/service change announcement

Old March 3rd 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

Default Nildram price/service change announcement

Hi.
For all u guys who dont read adsl-guide.uk.org message board

Nildram launches simplified product set with lower prices and increased
bandwidth

Up to 42 per cent price reductions made on certain products

Nildram has announced major changes to its product range to position the
company as the UK's leading supplier of premium broadband services. As part
of the re-launch, Nildram is cutting prices of its consumer and business
broadband products from 3 March 2005, in advance of rolling its out a 2Mbps
circuit to customers from July this year. The new Broadband2 service offers
a 2Mbps connection at just 25.99, the 2gO service has been reduced in price
to just 15.99 with additional usage charged at 99p per GB, and the top
performing Professional service, Pro2000, has been reduced in price to
56.56 (+ VAT).

The new simplified product set means that consumer customers will be offered
two streams of service: the Broadband2 and Broadband 2gO products, while
business customers will have a range of products based on Nildram's Pro2000
service. Existing customers will benefit from price reductions in line with
the new services and, starting from July, will be able to upgrade to a 2Mbps
circuit for free.

The price cuts are made on the same day that Nildram has announced1 plans to
address the controversial bandwidth usage issue with a fair usage policy to
provide customers with clarity for usage and 'head-room' for downloading.
From March 2005, new Broadband2 customers will be subject to a peak times
only monthly usage limit of 50GB, with the opportunity to carry-over unused
usage on a monthly basis from July. Existing consumer customers who are not
on Nildram PAYG services will also be subject to the fair use policy, which
will also be introduced in July.

"With a raft of products and bandwidths throughout the industry, we're
cutting through the complexities of selecting a broadband package with a
simplified and enhanced product set," says Sean Stephenson, managing
director of Nildram. "This is good news for our existing customers, who'll
have the opportunity to upgrade to a faster service; new customers, who'll
find the new price point very attractive; and our reseller community, who'll
be able to sell on the same products as we do directly."

From April, Nildram's existing DSL1000 and DSL2000 customers will have their
price reduced to 25.99 - representing savings of 25 per cent and 42 per
cent respectively. PAYG customers will have their charges reduced to 15.99
per month with usage charged at just 99p per GB. In July, Nildram will begin
to upgrade its DSL and PAYG customers to 2Mbps for free as part of a rolling
upgrade programme; those wishing to fast-track the upgrade can pay a one-off
12.93 fee. Surf500 customers will also be able to upgrade to Broadband2 for
a one-off fee of 12.93.

From July, existing Nildram 512k and 1024k Professional customers will also
be upgraded to the 2Mbps service for free as part of the upgrade programme -
with bandwidth capped out of office hours - and will still pay their current
prices for the remainder of the contract.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

Paul wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:39:03 -0000, "SwissTony"
wrote:

[...]

'head-room' for downloading. From March 2005, new Broadband2
customers will be subject to a peak times only monthly usage limit
of 50GB, with the opportunity to carry-over unused usage on a
monthly basis from July. Existing consumer customers who are not on
Nildram PAYG services will also be subject to the fair use policy,
which will also be introduced in July.

"With a raft of products and bandwidths throughout the industry,
we're cutting through the complexities of selecting a broadband
package with a simplified and enhanced product set," says Sean
Stephenson, managing director of Nildram. "This is good news for our
existing customers, who'll have the opportunity to upgrade to a
faster service; new customers, who'll find the new price point very
attractive; and our reseller community, who'll be able to sell on
the same products as we do directly."

From April, Nildram's existing DSL1000 and DSL2000 customers will
have their price reduced to 25.99 - representing savings of 25 per
cent and 42 per cent respectively. PAYG customers will have their
charges reduced to 15.99 per month with usage charged at just 99p
per GB. In July, Nildram will begin to upgrade its DSL and PAYG
customers to 2Mbps for free as part of a rolling upgrade programme;
those wishing to fast-track the upgrade can pay a one-off 12.93
fee. Surf500 customers will also be able to upgrade to Broadband2
for a one-off fee of 12.93.

From July, existing Nildram 512k and 1024k Professional customers
will also be upgraded to the 2Mbps service for free as part of the
upgrade programme - with bandwidth capped out of office hours - and
will still pay their current prices for the remainder of the
contract.

i can't see any mention of them dropping charges for providing fixed
ip?

Its still 3.50

Old March 4th 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Hi.
For all u guys who dont read adsl-guide.uk.org message board

[snip]

What's this "Nildram is cutting prices of its consumer and business broadband products from 3 March
2005". Yeah right, if only that were true! As an existing uncapped DSL500 user I now find it is now
a capped service but it will have a higher download speed, although I might have to wait three
months before it happens! And the price change? It stays the same.

This is on top of the restrictions recently put in place to Newsgroup access, so value for money has
deteriated since the begining of the year on a pricing structure which was, and remains, not as
sharpe as the competition.

No wonder long standing Nildram customers are jumping ship, but will it really be better the other
side of the fence?

David Bradley
Old March 4th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , David Bradley
writes

What's this "Nildram is cutting prices of its consumer and business
broadband products from 3 March
2005". Yeah right, if only that were true! As an existing uncapped
DSL500 user I now find it is now
a capped service but it will have a higher download speed, although I
might have to wait three
months before it happens! And the price change? It stays the same.

As a 1meg user who downloads ~30GB a month I think the change is great.
I have signed up early. I save 9gbp a month and get twice the speed! I
was just about to sign up for Metronet 2MB but this works out cheaper.

This is on top of the restrictions recently put in place to Newsgroup
access, so value for money has
deteriated since the begining of the year on a pricing structure which
was, and remains, not as
sharpe as the competition.

I agree for 512K users. But that has always been the case n'est pas? I
debated going cheaper several times but having been stung with a useless
ISP before I was never brave enough to leave the peace of mind that I
get from Nilly. Pipex have yet to mess it up too much. I will go if they
do.
As far as the newsgroups thing goes - I couldn't give a toss. Call me
old fashioned but I use ngs for communication, not to download files. I
hardly ever use the Nildram server as the German one has been so good. I
do believe they may start charging for it so that might change soon.
Less people slowing the server down with their daily pr0n intake is a
good thing IMNSHO.

No wonder long standing Nildram customers are jumping ship, but will it
really be better the other
side of the fence?

Funnily enough, it only seems to be the real heavy users that are ****ed
off. Their leaving will actually improve things for those left behind,
in theory anyway. The static IP thing still grips my **** as does the
lack of features eg php included with webspace. They have done enough
just now to be granted a stay of execution. I'll look again once the
rest of the industry has sorted itself out after this latest bout of BT
induced changes.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 4th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Murray

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:35:27 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:
What's this "Nildram is cutting prices of its consumer and business broadband products from 3 March
2005". Yeah right, if only that were true! As an existing uncapped DSL500 user I now find it is now
a capped service but it will have a higher download speed, although I might have to wait three
months before it happens! And the price change? It stays the same.

Or, in my case, there's absolutely no benefit at all - I can't get a
faster link than the existing 512K one due to distance from the
exchange, and now have a cap on downloads plus a reduced service
and/or security due to the Usenet server issue. Given the premium
cost of a Nildram account, my history of billing problems with the
company, and zero progress with regard to reasonable provision of
fixed IP addresses, I'm probably going to jump ship sooner rather
than later.

In all truth, the current capping level is not really an issue for
me: although I know I can exceed the current limit, the likelihood
of doing so is extremely remote. However, past experience with
other ISPs leads me to expect a continual policy of reducing the
levels over time. I'll grant that this will probably be the case
whatever ISP is involved - there are financial pressures that apply
everywhere. But there are ISPs who offer a better all round deal
now and I'm not that dedicated to the email address that I feel the
need to stay.
Old March 4th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Murray

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:20:29 +0000, pete devlin
wrote:

Funnily enough, it only seems to be the real heavy users that are ****ed
off.

Not entirely true - I don't download huge amounts of data (probably
over the average, but say 30-50 Gb a month max), but this
non-improvement of service has failed to impress me sufficiently
that I'm looking for new pastures. The cap is a non-issue, since it
will come to all ISPs in time, and will probably continue to develop
to more and more restrictive levels. However, Nildram's inability
to sort things liked fixed IP addresses and their in-house Usenet
service have left me feeling that they are not the top dogs they
used to be. I really hoped they'd deal with the IP address question
in this announcement, since I now need such an animal. But adding
another 3.50 (plus VAT?) to an already relatively high charge for
no gain (I'm too far from an exchange to get anything other than
512K) is a straw too much for this camel.
Old March 4th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Pete Murray
writes
Not entirely true - I don't download huge amounts of data (probably
over the average, but say 30-50 Gb a month max), but this
non-improvement of service has failed to impress me sufficiently that
I'm looking for new pastures. The cap is a non-issue, since it will
come to all ISPs in time, and will probably continue to develop to more
more restrictive levels. However, Nildram's inability to sort things
liked fixed IP addresses and their in-house Usenet service have left me
feeling that they are not the top dogs they used to be. I really hoped
they'd deal with the IP address question in this announcement, since I
now need such an animal. But adding another 3.50 (plus VAT?) to an
already relatively high charge for no gain (I'm too far from an
exchange to get anything other than 512K) is a straw too much for this
camel.

I agree with you entirely. The IP thing is nothing other than a rip off.
If I required it, it would be with another ISP. What's your grief with
the news? Apart from the speed people can download binaries at, I didn't
think it was bad. Not that I use it of course.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 4th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Murray

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:21:29 +0000, pete devlin
wrote:

I agree with you entirely. The IP thing is nothing other than a rip off.
If I required it, it would be with another ISP. What's your grief with
the news? Apart from the speed people can download binaries at, I didn't
think it was bad. Not that I use it of course.

Aside from the fact that it's a great disappointment that a
supposedly technical competent organisation like Nildram cannot run
their own Usenet server? I have serious misgivings about the
transfer of login details to an outside agency. Yes, I've read the
theory that it's all kept secure, but all it does is increase the
attack surface without any concomitant advantage elsewhere. I
suspect there's a bit in the T&C somewhere that is clear about the
consequences of a user releasing their password to a third party,
but no-one at Nildram seems to realise that it's just as much of a
potential problem if they do it.

We're paying a premium charge - for that we should be provided with
a premium service, and that simply isn't the case any longer.