Nildram fair usage

Old March 3rd 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Nildram fair usage

I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?
Old March 3rd 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?

But you haven't mentioned that you can carry over any non used usage to the
following month & so isn't quite a draconian as PN

Old March 3rd 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

kraftee wrote:
Steve wrote:

I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?

But you haven't mentioned that you can carry over any non used usage to the
following month & so isn't quite a draconian as PN

Not strictly true, with plusnet you can sort of carry over but in a
rolling 3 month period. The PN cap is a 3 monthly cap and has a total
figure over that period so it can be carried over, just not as cleanly.
Nildram will also cap to 64k for going over.

Paul Honiss, corrupt, incompetent and death is too kind.
France 18 - 24 Paul Honiss. Someone sack this imbecile now.
Old March 3rd 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:53:26 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Steve wrote:
I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?

But you haven't mentioned that you can carry over any non used usage to the
following month & so isn't quite a draconian as PN

But theirs applies each month, rather than only if you go over for
three months, so is more draconian :-)

They also only seem to have one limit - 50GB, which is better than the
cheapest PN one, equal to the second choice PN one (for £3 per month
less than PN charge for that).

They would work out more expensive than any of the higher PN ones,
since extra costs 99p/GB, while to have one of the higher PN ones will
cost an extra 40p/GB - but only in 25GB chunks. (so 75GB is £39.99
with PN, would be £25.99 + £24.75 = £50.74 with Nildram)

The Nildram unmetered time is slightly better than PN too, being
midnight - 8:00am, rather than 1:00am - 8:00am.

So which is better is going to depend very much on just what you want.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Truck Pulls: for people who cannot understand the WWF

Old March 3rd 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

String wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Steve wrote:

I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?

But you haven't mentioned that you can carry over any non used usage
to the following month & so isn't quite a draconian as PN

Not strictly true, with plusnet you can sort of carry over but in a
rolling 3 month period. The PN cap is a 3 monthly cap and has a total
figure over that period so it can be carried over, just not as
cleanly. Nildram will also cap to 64k for going over.

--

There is no carrying over at all, in other words if I use 10GB one month &
50GB the next it would still be classed as excessive usage in the second

Old March 3rd 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

There is no carrying over at all, in other words if I use 10GB one month &
50GB the next it would still be classed as excessive usage in the second
month, despite the fact I downloaded 20GB less than I'm allowed in the
first...

But you can use over in a month, 2 months but not free so effectively
carrying over.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

But theirs applies each month, rather than only if you go over for
three months, so is more draconian :-)

They also only seem to have one limit - 50GB, which is better than the
cheapest PN one, equal to the second choice PN one (for £3 per month
less than PN charge for that).

They would work out more expensive than any of the higher PN ones,
since extra costs 99p/GB, while to have one of the higher PN ones will
cost an extra 40p/GB - but only in 25GB chunks. (so 75GB is £39.99
with PN, would be £25.99 + £24.75 = £50.74 with Nildram)

The Nildram unmetered time is slightly better than PN too, being
midnight - 8:00am, rather than 1:00am - 8:00am.

So which is better is going to depend very much on just what you want.

Nicer package but the reason i migrated from nildram and the reason i
wont migrate back to them despite being utterly furious at plusnet is
nildram still charge an extortionate amount for a static IP and even
more for a subnet.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

String wrote:
[...]

Ive just migrated to Nildram and the guy on the phone was saying about the
new cap, this is why I moved, I want a responsible ISP who does somthing
about leechers, so my connection doesnt suffer, plus i get 2mb for the price
of 512k which is nice, currently my ISP takes on all the bandwidth hogs and
good luck to them, but gaming was utterly useless on my old ISP.

I go live in 10 days

He also said the ones who are leaving are the ones costing Nildram money, so
its no loss

50Gb a month is loads, and as it carries over I cannot see a reason for
going over this, unlike the BT one at 15Gb.

Old March 4th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
String wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Steve wrote:

I see that PIPEX owned Nildram are introducing "fair usage" limits.
Will they now get the same kind of mass criticism that Plusnet got?

But you haven't mentioned that you can carry over any non used usage
to the following month & so isn't quite a draconian as PN

Not strictly true, with plusnet you can sort of carry over but in a
rolling 3 month period. The PN cap is a 3 monthly cap and has a total
figure over that period so it can be carried over, just not as
cleanly. Nildram will also cap to 64k for going over.

--

There is no carrying over at all, in other words if I use 10GB one month &
50GB the next it would still be classed as excessive usage in the second
month, despite the fact I downloaded 20GB less than I'm allowed in the
first...

And you do 200GB one month and then stay under the 30GB (on the £21.99 rate)
for 2 months and not be penalised. You don't get penalised unless you go
over 2 times in a rolling 3 month window.

Dan

Old March 18th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Ronny wrote:

Ive just migrated to Nildram and the guy on the phone was saying about the
new cap, this is why I moved, I want a responsible ISP who does somthing
about leechers, so my connection doesnt suffer, plus i get 2mb for the price
of 512k which is nice, currently my ISP takes on all the bandwidth hogs and
good luck to them, but gaming was utterly useless on my old ISP.

I go live in 10 days

He also said the ones who are leaving are the ones costing Nildram money, so
its no loss

50Gb a month is loads, and as it carries over I cannot see a reason for
going over this, unlike the BT one at 15Gb.

It should be noted that the 50gb per month limit only applies for
downloads between 8am and midnight as well so you can download as much
as you want at other times. Personally I think that's a very generous
amount for a capped service and tkes note of the fact that it's better
to let downloaders do their thing at night when most others are sleeping