3com wireless router 3CRWE754G72 - any good?

Old March 3rd 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default 3com wireless router 3CRWE754G72 - any good?

Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the USB
modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com model
3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g and a
built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be reliable,
easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to know if the router
supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dave wrote:
Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the
USB modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com
model 3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g
and a built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be
reliable, easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to
know if the router supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

They have been open & above board (unlike a few other manufacturers) about
problem you could encounter if you decide to do any file sharing (the
inbuilt firewall breaks under the strain, after a time), other than that
it's a nice bit of kit..

Having said that Netgear, & D-Link have released new firmware upgrades to
help counter such problems whilst 3Com have not (AFAIK)....

Old March 3rd 05, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LJM

Friends, Dave, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the
USB modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com
model 3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I had a 3COM wireless access point from the same range (model#
3CRWE454G72) between November 2003 until January 2005. It looks very
similar, but one problem I had with it (and house size/shape might be a
factor in my case) was range problems in certain rooms. I replaced it
in January with a £70 Wireless AP/4 Port ADSL Router from Maplin (when
my original one stopped working and started steaming) and am amazed at
the difference. No more frequent disconnections when I'm using my
laptop in the bedroom or garden.

I note the model you mention has been discontinued btw.

[..]
--
Lee J. Moore
"Life is short, art is long."
Old March 3rd 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:16:38 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the USB
modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com model
3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g and a
built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be reliable,
easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to know if the router
supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

Yes it does.

I have been using one since September, with very few problems.

Very easy to set up, I was online (wired) within about 5 minutes of
opening the box. It took me about an hour to get wireless networking
working, but that was down to a problem with the way the "network
bridge" was set up on my laptop.

I have recently been getting random disconnections, but I suspect that
is down to Plusnet rather than the router (there was a post made about
it on their service status group today). I can reconnect immediately
when it happens.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Truck Pulls: for people who cannot understand the WWF

Old March 3rd 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Dave" wrote in message

..

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g
and a built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be
reliable, easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to
know if the router supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

It does display diagnostics - see
http://www.mason.sh/3com.jpg for an
example of what mine is showing right now.

As Kraftee says, it's not 100% robust if you're going to run P2P software
behind it - it can lock up/stop routing/slow down.

If 24/7 P2P isn't your thing, it's a cracking little unit IMO. Easy to
configure, simple to admin and does most stuff I want - NAT, WPA, DMZ,
dyndns support, SNMP, NTP client, IPSec and PPTP VPN passthrough.

I upgraded the firmware to v1.29 this week - no problems so far.

Old March 3rd 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Dave wrote:
Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the USB
modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com model
3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g and a
built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be reliable,
easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to know if the router
supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

I have the 3CRWE754G72-A (which was on offer from Misco with a bundled
wireless PC card for around £70) and I think it's fine. Replaced my
frog with it and it was easy to setup, worked out of the box,
diagnostics are as per screenshot provided by Grant. Haven't worked
out how to open ports yet - I'm sure it's easy, but whatever I do
isn't right

If it's been discontinued as per other post then you should be looking
for a better price than I paid.

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old March 3rd 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Dave wrote:
Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the
USB modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com
model 3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I'm not too sure what features I want in a router but it has 80211g
and a built in firewall which I want, other than that I want it to be
reliable, easy to configure and just generally work. I'd like to
know if the router supplies line disgnostics - attenutation, SNR etc.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

It's great. My Linksys and Netgear were both awful. After using a 3Com AP at
work I bought the unit you are considering and have never even needed to
reboot it in almost a year. Solid as a rock.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:20:14 +0000, Danny
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

The latest Misco catalogue, that arrived yesterday, has the price of
the bundle reduced by £10 (and it may be the replacement model as
well, that isn't clear as they don't specify the manufacturer's model
number)

Old March 4th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"LJM" wrote in message
Friends, Dave, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Hello,

I've been looking at getting myself a wireless router to replace the
USB modem thingy I'm currently using. I like the look of the 3com
model 3CRWE754G72 and the review on adslguide is quite positive.

I had a 3COM wireless access point from the same range (model#
3CRWE454G72) between November 2003 until January 2005. It looks very
similar, but one problem I had with it (and house size/shape might be a
factor in my case) was range problems in certain rooms. I replaced it
in January with a £70 Wireless AP/4 Port ADSL Router from Maplin (when
my original one stopped working and started steaming) and am amazed at
the difference. No more frequent disconnections when I'm using my
laptop in the bedroom or garden.

I note the model you mention has been discontinued btw.

Bugger and I was just about to order one after all the positive feedback.
Is this the replacement - 3CRWDR100A. I spotted this model on a few
websites but as the number was lower I though it was an old model.

[..]
--
Lee J. Moore
"Life is short, art is long."