Best way to share a broadband connection with a Win 95 PC

Old March 3rd 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dsb0118

Default Best way to share a broadband connection with a Win 95 PC

Hi,

I have a virgin broadband connection that I use with a new laptop via
a usb modem. In another room near the master BT phone socket, I have
an old PC running Windows 95. I still use this machine and don't want
to dispose of it yet.

How easy/cost effective would it be to add the broadband connection to
this PC as well. (PC is a PII 266Mz 64Mb RAM. no network card)

As a newbie I suppose what I really need is some basic advice such
as:-

What modem/router to get ? (Ideally I'd like the laptop to have a
wireless connection or would that create security/reliability problems
? )

Can I still get a network card that will work in a win95 machine ?

Do I need to upgrade from win95 and if so what's the best (i.e. most
cost effective) way to do that.

Will I be able to share a printer between the machines ?

Are there any pitfalls to look out for when buying kit and is there
anything else I should be aware of.

TIA

Dave B
Old March 3rd 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

dsb0118 wrote:
Hi,

I have a virgin broadband connection that I use with a new laptop via
a usb modem. In another room near the master BT phone socket, I have
an old PC running Windows 95. I still use this machine and don't want
to dispose of it yet.

How easy/cost effective would it be to add the broadband connection to
this PC as well. (PC is a PII 266Mz 64Mb RAM. no network card)

Dubious...

As a newbie I suppose what I really need is some basic advice such
as:-

What modem/router to get ? (Ideally I'd like the laptop to have a
wireless connection or would that create security/reliability problems
? )

I use D-Link equipment. Been working for two years now with no probs...
I use a DI-624 wireless router and a DSL-300G+ modem. These are now
obsolete, but their D-Link equivalents are DI-604 (or DI-624+) and DSL-300T.
I also use DWL-G520 wireless network cards.

Other manufacturers make combined router/modems. Take a look around
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ that's where I got my kit from.

Can I still get a network card that will work in a win95 machine ?

Probably not, unless you try the second-hand stalls at computer fairs...

Do I need to upgrade from win95 and if so what's the best (i.e. most
cost effective) way to do that.

I'd upgrade to Win'98 (or even better Win'98SP2). That's what I've got on my
"old" PC. Again, get a "legit" copy from a computer fair, or trawl the 'net
for a clone. The operating system is so old and unsupported now that
Micro$haft won't care to take any legal action (not cost effective etc.)

Will I be able to share a printer between the machines ?

You have two options here. Either buy a separate Printer server to plug into
the router, or "share" the printer between the PCs. The first option means
that you only need the PC you are using to be powered up, the second option
requires the PC which the printer is connected to be powered up also.

Are there any pitfalls to look out for when buying kit and is there
anything else I should be aware of.

Ensure that at lease one PC is wired to the router (Ethernet), otherwise if
(when) you screw up the wireless connectivity you won't be able to gain
access to the router, so losing control!
Once you have the wireless side working, don't forget to use some form of
encryption on the wireless to avoid others gaining access for free
(hotspotting).

TIA

Don't mention it

Old March 4th 05, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Paul King" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
How easy/cost effective would it be to add the broadband connection to
this PC as well. (PC is a PII 266Mz 64Mb RAM. no network card)

Dubious...

Certainly easy using a network card and router. Old network cards are very
cheap on ebay.

What modem/router to get ? (Ideally I'd like the laptop to have a
wireless connection or would that create security/reliability problems
? )

See equipment tests on www.adslguide.org.uk

Can I still get a network card that will work in a win95 machine ?

Just check that you can get a Win 95 driver. Typically you can download these
from the card manufacturers web site.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 4th 05, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Paul King:
buy a separate Printer server to plug into the router

Better still look for router that includes USB printer port,
Zoom or Draytek Vigor (not cheap, but excellent kit).
You should also consider getting one with VoIP port(s).
Regards,
Martin

Old March 4th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Michael Chare wrote:

[snip]

Just check that you can get a Win 95 driver. Typically you can
download these from the card manufacturers web site.

Going *really* back in time, anyone know how to get an old 486DX2-66
running Win3.1 onto the net..?! It has an ethernet card and is plugged
into my LAN but can't see the internet, I guess because it doesn't have
TCP/IP drivers installed (it used to be on a Novell network running IPX).

Ivor

Old March 4th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

In article , lid
(Ivor Jones) wrote:

Going *really* back in time, anyone know how to get an old 486DX2-66
running Win3.1 onto the net..?!

Install 95

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old March 4th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Robinson

Paul Cummins wrote:
In article , lid
(Ivor Jones) wrote:

Going *really* back in time, anyone know how to get an old 486DX2-66
running Win3.1 onto the net..?!

Install 95

Or DamnSmallLinux
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html
Old March 4th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Michael Chare wrote:

[snip]

Just check that you can get a Win 95 driver. Typically you can
download these from the card manufacturers web site.

Going *really* back in time, anyone know how to get an old 486DX2-66
running Win3.1 onto the net..?! It has an ethernet card and is plugged
into my LAN but can't see the internet, I guess because it doesn't have
TCP/IP drivers installed (it used to be on a Novell network running IPX).

Do you by any chance have the Novell TCP/IP drivers?

They just might make them available on their web site!

You would probably have to hard code the IP address. i.e. no DHCP (Though I am
no sure, just never did it.)

There were/are a number of different TCP/Ip protocol stacks that you could buy.
You never hear of them nowdays.

You will probably have to get Winsock working! Then you may have problems with
a Web browser. An old one may not work with modern www sites. Newsnet would be
OK though!

--

Michael Chare

Old March 4th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ivor Jones wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

[snip]

Just check that you can get a Win 95 driver. Typically you can
download these from the card manufacturers web site.

Going *really* back in time, anyone know how to get an old 486DX2-66
running Win3.1 onto the net..?! It has an ethernet card and is plugged
into my LAN but can't see the internet, I guess because it doesn't
have TCP/IP drivers installed (it used to be on a Novell network
running IPX).
Ivor

Well install the TCP/IP drivers then, if you're on a network it will work.
Mind you if the site's you navigate to are using all the flash/macromedia
add ons you may have problems...

Old March 5th 05, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Michael Chare
writes
You will probably have to get Winsock working! Then you may have
problems with a Web browser. An old one may not work with modern www
sites. Newsnet would be OK though!

Plenty of choice he

http://browsers.evolt.org/

All the earliest browsers are there.