OT- Is there a device that can do this........

Old March 3rd 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

Default OT- Is there a device that can do this........

New to broadband and enjoying particularly streamed radio and 'listen again'
on the BBC. What are my options to get a small wireless device that can
connect to my router and get the radio and listen again I want. I plan to
take the output from whatever device it is via its earphone socket and input
into my stereo and be able to listen and relax in the lounge rather than the
study (where the main pc is).

Sorry if this seems an odd question, I am very new to pc's and the amazing
things they do.

Dave

Old March 3rd 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Dave P" wrote in message
New to broadband and enjoying particularly streamed radio and 'listen
again' on the BBC. What are my options to get a small wireless device that
can connect to my router and get the radio and listen again I want. I plan
to take the output from whatever device it is via its earphone socket and
input into my stereo and be able to listen and relax in the lounge rather
than the study (where the main pc is).

Sorry if this seems an odd question, I am very new to pc's and the amazing
things they do.

Dave

Dave,

This gadget would fit your needs, and is a much neater solution...

http://www.voyager.bt.com/mediaplayer/prodinfo.htm

HTH, Ali

Old March 3rd 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Or even cheaper here; http://makeashorterlink.com/?O1CA4399A

Old March 4th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silangdon

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:06:18 -0000, "Dave P"
wrote:

New to broadband and enjoying particularly streamed radio and 'listen again'
on the BBC. What are my options to get a small wireless device that can
connect to my router and get the radio and listen again I want. I plan to
take the output from whatever device it is via its earphone socket and input
into my stereo and be able to listen and relax in the lounge rather than the
study (where the main pc is).

Sorry if this seems an odd question, I am very new to pc's and the amazing
things they do.

Dave

I googled and found this

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...AN/167/v/1/sp/

and these units aren't dependent on being connected to a PC (seems to
me you might as well use the PC itself) so they are much quieter in
operation as media servers.

Can't quite bring myself to splash out 100 + tho'
Old March 4th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill

"Dave P" wrote in message
New to broadband and enjoying particularly streamed radio and

'listen again'
on the BBC. What are my options to get a small wireless device that

can
connect to my router and get the radio and listen again I want. I

plan to
take the output from whatever device it is via its earphone socket

and input
into my stereo and be able to listen and relax in the lounge rather

than the
study (where the main pc is).

Sorry if this seems an odd question, I am very new to pc's and the

amazing
things they do.

Dave

If you do a search on EBay for "FM Transmitter" there are lots of
devices that you simply plug into a standard headphones socket and
transmit the signal over FM. Then you can tune any FM receiver into
it. So by plugging one of these devices into your sound card/PC
speakers and tuning in your HiFi tuner into it you should be able to
get what you want.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and don't know how well it would
work. If you, or anyone else, tries it please post back as I'd be
interested to know.

Mark

Old March 4th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Grumps wrote:
"Zomaar" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message
New to broadband and enjoying particularly streamed radio and
'listen again' on the BBC. What are my options to get a small
wireless device that can connect to my router and get the radio and
listen again I want. I plan to take the output from whatever device
it is via its earphone socket and input into my stereo and be able
to listen and relax in the lounge rather than the study (where the
main pc is).

This gadget would fit your needs, and is a much neater solution...

http://www.voyager.bt.com/mediaplayer/prodinfo.htm

Or even cheaper here; http://makeashorterlink.com/?O1CA4399A

I don't believe this will do what you need it to. You need to know the URL
for the station you want to listen to, which you can't get with the BBC
stations as it's hidden.

Old March 4th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'Mark Undrill' wrote:

If you do a search on EBay for "FM Transmitter" there are lots of
devices that you simply plug into a standard headphones socket and
transmit the signal over FM. Then you can tune any FM receiver into
it. So by plugging one of these devices into your sound card/PC
speakers and tuning in your HiFi tuner into it you should be able to
get what you want.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and don't know how well it would
work. If you, or anyone else, tries it please post back as I'd be
interested to know.

I used a little homemade two tranny effort for a while last year so that I
could listen as I worked on the car. A milliwat or less of power, but
although only mono the fidelity was lovely. Freq modulation is so easy on
a simple toy, didn't even need an audio buffer.

Cost less than two quid, and no I don't sell them

--
Dave Johnson -

Funny site of the moment -
-
http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
Old March 5th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Mark Undrill
writes
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this and don't know how well it would
work. If you, or anyone else, tries it please post back as I'd be
interested to know.

It's not the greatest quality but it's ok. I have a Belkin FM Tx that I
picked up on my travels. I don't know how it compares to others but
being Belkin they probably sell it in PCW by now. I paid the equivalent
of 15gp for it. I use it mostly for my mp3 player in the car. Does the
job perfectly well.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"