You may need a licence for your PC !

Old March 3rd 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default You may need a licence for your PC !

By John Leyden
Published Thursday 3rd March 2005 17:38 GMT

The BBC licence fee could eventually replaced by a tax on having a PC
instead of owning a TV, according to a Green Paper delivered this week.
The government plans to retain the license fee for at least ten years
but ministers are looking ahead to a time when high-speed broadband
connections routinely deliver digital television channels to the
nation's homes. In that event a fee based on television ownership could
become redundant and the government could look at other ways to raise
revenue, from subscriptions to taxing other access devices.

In a statement to Parliament this week, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell
said that "the changes in TV technology that will soon result in a
wholly digital Britain... perhaps the greatest challenge the BBC has
ever faced." The Times reports that a legal loophole means consumers
could watch television or listen to radio over the net without having
to pay a license fee, leaving the BBC with a funding shortfall that
could run into the millions.

A Department for Culture, Media and Sport Green Paper on the BBC's
long-term future proposes an end of the traditional license fee and
"either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs
as well as TVs". It cautions that these fees might be tough to enforce.
Ministers are also consulting about the possibility of introducing a
subscription model.

The Government reckons changes to the license fee will not be needed
until 2017, when the BBC's next royal charter expires. However unnamed
sources at the Department for Culture told The Times that the
government would act earlier if viewing TV on the net became a hit with
consumers. In August 2004, the BBC broadcast video clips from the
Olympic Games over the net as an experiment. Six million UK homes
currently have broadband connections, a figure that can only grow over
time, spurring demand for innovative service like broadcasting over the
internet. The majority of UK households will be watching TV over the
internet by 2012, regulator Ofcom predicts.

*******************************
its time to stop susidising the BBC behemoth ,its a gravy train

Old March 3rd 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

six-toes wrote:
| In a statement to Parliament this week, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell

Aren't the words "Culture" and "Tessa Jowell" in the same sentence an
oxymoron?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 3rd 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Gordon" wrote in message
six-toes wrote:
| In a statement to Parliament this week, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell

Aren't the words "Culture" and "Tessa Jowell" in the same sentence an
oxymoron?

Yeah, "culture" is the oxy bit and "Tessa Jowell" is the moron bit.

Old March 4th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_skip.invalid

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:03:52 -0000, "Gordon"
wrote:

six-toes wrote:
| In a statement to Parliament this week, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell

Aren't the words "Culture" and "Tessa Jowell" in the same sentence an
oxymoron?

However I like the idea of Tessa Jowell and sentence in the same
sentence! Just how much is mere detail, the more the better maybe?

--
astro

Old March 4th 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

When use of radio waves and radio receivers becomes illegal, and TV and
radio programs are available only on the Internet, the government will have
tight control over those powerful sources of information in both directions.

Why do you think the government encourages rapid expansion of the Internet
at every opportunity?

Old March 6th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

"six-toes" wrote:

By John Leyden
Published Thursday 3rd March 2005 17:38 GMT

The BBC licence fee could eventually replaced by a tax on having a PC
instead of owning a TV, according to a Green Paper delivered this week.

This is a great idea to help employment in this country so don't knock
it. The PC licences will be averaging 20 per year for each one.

Exact rules will be worked out but there will be price bands depending
on your income so it is rather like income tax/council tax. There will
be 5 bands ranging from 5 per PC to 50 per PC.

A self assessment form will be completed by each PC owner for each PC
(rumoured to be about 10 pages) and the answers will all be checked by a
new Labour PC Department that will be staffed with some 2,000 people.

Annual returns will be required. ISPs will provide details of all
account owners; computer suppliers and parts suppliers will provide
details of components bought that will go into a new database of PC
ownership, set to cost some 50 million.

Then there will the extra 1,000 PC inspectors that will be employed to
check on houses that appear not to have a PC.

So as well as providing income to help the health service, we will
provide employment for over 3,000 more people.

Seems a good idea to me;-)
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old March 6th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , John Perry
writes
"six-toes" wrote:

[...]

I think your estimates of staff numbers are low by a factor of at least
10.

When I reach 75 I will get my TV licence free. If this new system comes
in in 2017 I will be 85. Will my PC licence be free then?
--
Thoss
Old March 6th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

thoss wrote:

In article , John Perry
writes
"six-toes" wrote:

[...]

Doubt it, I am sure this Labour government could milk their tax and
spend policy a bit further. You would have a tapering relief with age,
20% off for each year above 65, and you would have to complete a
questionnaire each year.

You may be right about the employment estimates - Just think, Blair
could announce the creation of some 50,000 new jobs under their
government! But he wouldn't announce it once, it would be done 3 or 4
times to create the illusion he had created some 150,000 to 200,000 new
jobs!

Old March 6th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , John Perry
writes
"six-toes" wrote:

[...]

You forgot to mention the PC detector vans

--
John Clark
Old March 6th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , thoss
writes
In article , John Perry
writes
"six-toes" wrote:

[...]

I would assume this would be correct. Otherwise it is Age Discrimination
under the DDA, and you should be able to sue under the Human Rights Act.

QUESTION: What about PC networks running under NATs on a fixed IP?
Can these people have 26 peer-to-peer networked PCs that
look to the internet like 1 PC?

--
John Clark Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!