WPA-PSK, Netgear WG511 & DG384G

Old March 4th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Default WPA-PSK, Netgear WG511 & DG384G

Anyone got this working fully? I don't seem to be able to configure long
(40 character) key phrases. If I do then I never get a connection.

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Also, any idea why the WG511 (supposedly) allows 8-63 characters whilst the
DG384G allows 8-64 (63 vs 64!).

Thanks,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old March 4th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip K

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:49:04 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Latest firmware for the DG834G is V2.10.10 so I'd suggest that you try
upgrading.

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old March 4th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
ABC

wrote:

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Latest firmware for the DG834G is V2.10.10 so I'd suggest that you try
upgrading.

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

You forgot to mention that the 2.10.10 firmware is beta and not the final
release

Old March 4th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

wrote:

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Latest firmware for the DG834G is V2.10.10 so I'd suggest that you try
upgrading.

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

You forgot to mention that the 2.10.10 firmware is beta and not the final
release

Also the only beta I see on the support site is for 2.10.9, so where has
the 2.10.10 come from?

--
[ste]
Old March 4th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip K

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:34:41 +0000, "[ste parker]"
wrote:

Also the only beta I see on the support site is for 2.10.9, so where has
the 2.10.10 come from?

My understanding (from Usenet, I have no insider knowledge) was that
2.10.10 would be the release version - it's only slightly different to
2.10.9 (menu placement).

Don't know when/if it will appear on the Netgear site. For me, my router
(and indeed access to the Internet) is not _that_ important, so I'm
happy running what may be a Beta version. It doesn't appear to be any
less stable than any previous version; if it were, I could easily
downgrade.

Naturally the decision on whether to run Beta software, or software from
a potentially untrusted site, will depend on the environment, risk
appetite and the risk tolerance of the user!

Old March 4th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
recursor

wrote:

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Latest firmware for the DG834G is V2.10.10 so I'd suggest that you try
upgrading.

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

--

Hi Philip K, I see that http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk (without the /netgear)
isn't up and running yet, is it gonna be a *latest drivers* website, how did you

Old March 4th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
kraftee

wrote:

Also the only beta I see on the support site is for 2.10.9, so where
has the 2.10.10 come from?

My understanding (from Usenet, I have no insider knowledge) was that
2.10.10 would be the release version - it's only slightly different to
2.10.9 (menu placement).

Don't know when/if it will appear on the Netgear site. For me, my
router (and indeed access to the Internet) is not _that_ important,
so I'm happy running what may be a Beta version. It doesn't appear to
be any less stable than any previous version; if it were, I could
easily downgrade.

Naturally the decision on whether to run Beta software, or software
from a potentially untrusted site, will depend on the environment,
risk appetite and the risk tolerance of the user!

You forgot to include it also depends on how succesful you are with getting
any support from their support desk....

Old March 4th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

kraftee wrote:
Philip K wrote:

You forgot to include it also depends on how succesful you are with getting
any support from their support desk....

From the Netgear support site:

"There is no customer support for beta firmware. They will ask you to
return to a tested release before helping."

--
[ste]
Old March 4th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
kraftee

[ste parker] wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Philip K wrote:

You forgot to include it also depends on how succesful you are with
getting any support from their support desk....

From the Netgear support site:

"There is no customer support for beta firmware. They will ask you to
return to a tested release before helping."

It's more like...there is no customer support for any thing but the basic
installation problems.

My experience was a complete run around for 4 months as no one could
understand what a reboot meant & they kept on loosing my replies (funny
that). Eventually sorted it out by using the 1.10.8 beta firmware release &
they had their noses put out when I told them so, demanding to know how I
had got my hands on the software etc......

Funny thing is their later releases just start the problems back up again
for me so I'll stick with the apparently completely unofficial beta release
instead of the official beta release...

Old March 4th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip K

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:04:55 -0000, "recursor"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm using DG384G v1.05.00 and WG511 v3.00.

Latest firmware for the DG834G is V2.10.10 so I'd suggest that you try
upgrading.

http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

--

Hi Philip K, I see that http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk (without the /netgear)
isn't up and running yet, is it gonna be a *latest drivers* website, how did you
get/find the netgear page?

Just for the record, I know _nothing_ about this site. Sorry. I found
out about the Netgear files there from a Usenet posting (I'm sure that a
search of Google groups would find it).

I guess that I should also say that (especially if you are worried about
security on your wireless connection) you may want to only download
software from a "trusted" site (e.g., Netgear's own site). And, as
others have pointed out, you need to understand the risks (including
lack of support) if you decide to run Beta software on a Production
system.