Virgin ADSL - IP Stream or Data Stream ???

Old March 4th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Default Virgin ADSL - IP Stream or Data Stream ???

Hi

Done a bit of googling but cannot get a clear answer on this one.

A friend has recently signed up with Virgin ADSL Home 500 service, but still
cannot connect to their service.

Now I have beg borrowed and stolen three different modems (thought the
problem was a BT Voyager router at first), but still cannot connect.All
modems have been tested working on other lines.

Phone Virgin on Tuesday and asked them to check the line out and they blamed
the router, asked them to check the line anyway just to be sure.

Called them again today and told them about three modems and no connection.
Now they say they are testing the line but it could take another two to
three days.

Basically told them that if there is no result by Monday then they can give
my mate his MAC code. At this point I asked the Virgin CS guy if the account
was IP Stream or Data Stream and he said he was not allowed to tell me!!!!

So does anyone know if Virgin Home 500 is IP Stream or Data Stream. Then I
will know how easy a migration could be (or not)

Cheers

DeeBee

Old March 4th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:37:13 GMT, "DeeBee" wrote:

So does anyone know if Virgin Home 500 is IP Stream or Data Stream.

I think the Metronet page about migrating from other ISPs to them says that
Virgin uses both, so there may be no 'simple' answer, unfortunately. Seems
rather daft that the CS people cannot say, but a BT phone bill should show!

On one of my lines, supplied for UKFSN.org from Tiscali) it says:
(ADSL) BT DataStream Office (2 Mbps)

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old March 4th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Hi

How can you tell from the BT phone bill

Thanks

DeeBee

s.net...

Old March 4th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 04 Mar 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "DeeBee" wrote:

How can you tell from the BT phone bill

I quoted the description on my own BT phone bill... suggest your friend
checks their BT bill... see if it says DataStream or IPstream on it...

Old March 4th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

wrote:

So does anyone know if Virgin Home 500 is IP Stream or Data Stream. Then I
will know how easy a migration could be (or not)

Cheers

DeeBee

Why does it matter? Virgin are a signatory to the cop the scope of
which is he [see pdf at bottom of web page]
Scope
Consumers have no reason to be aware what wholesale product underlies
their retail service.
The CoP is therefore intended to apply to migrations of all retail DSL
services provided over BT copper loops, whether based on BT wholesale
DSL services or those of a local loop unbundling operator (LLUO). This
includes same product migrations (eg IPStream to IPStream or
DataStream to DataStream) and different product migrations (eg
IPStream to DataStream or IPStream to LLUO). Technical issues that may
arise in the case of different product migrations are outside the
scope of the commercial principles and of this CoP.
The SP to SP migration process to which this CoP refers will be
incorporated into a new IPStream-only SP to SP migration process, to
replace the existing one. It will also be incorporated into the
IPStream to DataStream, DataStream to IPStream, DataStream to
DataStream and IPStream/DataStream to LLUO migration processes in line
with the timescales of the BT roadmap.
Signatories will be expected to comply with this CoP from the date at
which the relevant processes and systems have been made available by
BT Wholesale.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/

Hi I will read this further, but my understanding was that it was difficult
/ almost impossible to migrate from a Data stream account, but easy with a
MAC number from an IP Stream Account to another ISP offering IP Stream.
Please correct me if I am wrong here

Thanks

DeeBee

Old March 4th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

Virgin is Datastream, and they buy it from NTL who buy it from BTW.

Hope this helps

Phill H.

Old March 4th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:29:07 -0000, "P H"
wrote:

Virgin is Datastream, and they buy it from NTL who buy it from BTW.

Hope this helps

Phill H.

Are you sure? I was chatting to an NTL rep today who said NTL don't
do ADSL yet. I wasn't aware they did wholesale.

Jake

Old March 4th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

"P H" wrote in message
Virgin is Datastream, and they buy it from NTL who buy it from BTW.

Hope this helps

Phill H.

So no chance of migration then?

DeeBee

Old March 4th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:53:01 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

On 04 Mar 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "DeeBee" wrote:

How can you tell from the BT phone bill

I quoted the description on my own BT phone bill... suggest your friend
checks their BT bill... see if it says DataStream or IPstream on it...

Why would you have anything on your BT phone bill for a Virgin
broadband account?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Oxymoron: Military Intelligence

Old March 4th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:37:54 UTC, Alex Heney wrote:

I quoted the description on my own BT phone bill... suggest your friend
checks their BT bill... see if it says DataStream or IPstream on it...

Why would you have anything on your BT phone bill for a Virgin
broadband account?

Because that's how BT do it. It's a zero cost item, because you pay BT
nothing, of course. But it's there, and seemingly how BT keep the books
straight. They have a lot of zero cost items on my bill - the ADSL
number also has a 'withold number' zero cost item. And the ISDN number
has three entries, one for each number (it's Highway), but only one of
them is charged.

I have IPstream 2000 appearing on mine, and I'm with AAISP.