30 Days notice and online contracts?

Old March 4th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rhythmmaster

Default 30 Days notice and online contracts?

Here's the deal. I notice a lot of ISPs ask for 30 days notice even whe
you are working on a monthly "contract". Unfair to say the least! Wha
are the implications if you don't give them 30 days notice, if fo
example you are migrating to another ISP? Also are online contract
really "legally binding", I assume most of UK law is still based on
signature so they can't really hold any substance can they? Anyon
clued up on this

--
rhythmmaster
Old March 4th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:40:53 +0000, rhythmmaster
wrote:

Here's the deal. I notice a lot of ISPs ask for 30 days notice even when
you are working on a monthly "contract". Unfair to say the least! What
are the implications if you don't give them 30 days notice, if for
example you are migrating to another ISP?

Once you've got a MAC they can't stop you from migrating.

Also are online contracts
really "legally binding", I assume most of UK law is still based on a
signature so they can't really hold any substance can they?

I think the contract is binding once you make a payment to them.
Old March 4th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Here's the deal. I notice a lot of ISPs ask for 30 days notice even when
you are working on a monthly "contract". Unfair to say the least!

Not unfair at all. In fact a quite normal contract provision.

What
are the implications if you don't give them 30 days notice, if for
example you are migrating to another ISP?

They are entitled to get you to pay for the unexpired term. If they gave you
notice would you exxpect it to be done without warning?

Also are online contracts
really "legally binding", I assume most of UK law is still based on a
signature so they can't really hold any substance can they? Anyone
clued up on this?

Of course they are binding. The only contracts that have to be written and
signed are those for the sale of land or other property.

Peter Crosland

Old March 4th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

Here's the deal. I notice a lot of ISPs ask for 30 days notice even when
you are working on a monthly "contract". Unfair to say the least!

Why do you think that?

It is perfectly reasonable for a service provider to expect reasonable
notice if you wish to terminate the contract.

What
are the implications if you don't give them 30 days notice, if for
example you are migrating to another ISP?

You have to pay the amount you would have paid if you had given them
the required notice.

Also are online contracts
really "legally binding",

Yes.

I assume most of UK law is still based on a
signature so they can't really hold any substance can they?

Contracts do not generally require a signature to be legally binding.
UK law has never been based on signatures except for certain specific
types of contract.

The modern world simply would not work if signatures were required for
all contracts, since so many are concluded either on line or over the
telephone. Do you really think any retailer would be prepared to
accept credit card orders over the phone or internet, if there was no
valid contract?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Oxymoron: Military Intelligence