Post Office terminals

Old March 5th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Default Post Office terminals

Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices now
have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased line?

My thinking is they must as their terminals are used for almost
everything. Calculting postage costs, adding insurance, allowing
withdrawls from various bank accounts, car tax etc.

I know it could all be done on a batch update type process whereby it
spends a few hours each night downloading latest prices / uploading the
days transactions. Perhaps this is still done on a modem connection for
post offices in rural locations?

Anyone in the know out there?
Rob
Old March 5th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:33:39 +0000, Rob wrote:

Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices now
have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased line?

My thinking is they must as their terminals are used for almost
everything. Calculting postage costs, adding insurance, allowing
withdrawls from various bank accounts, car tax etc.

I know it could all be done on a batch update type process whereby it
spends a few hours each night downloading latest prices / uploading the
days transactions. Perhaps this is still done on a modem connection for
post offices in rural locations?

Anyone in the know out there?
Rob

I would expect that it's a mixture of leased line, ADSL and ISDN
access, depending on the size and location of the PO, onto an MPLS
VPN.

Jake

Old March 5th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme Eldred

In message , Rob
writes

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices now
have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased line?

Nope. Well, mine doesn't :-) IDSN yes, but no broadband in remote NE
Scotland.

My thinking is they must as their terminals are used for almost
everything. Calculting postage costs, adding insurance, allowing
withdrawls from various bank accounts, car tax etc.

You would imagine so, but no, not a permanent connection.

I know it could all be done on a batch update type process whereby it
spends a few hours each night downloading latest prices / uploading the
days transactions.

You assume that the Post Office is in the 21st century? :-)

Perhaps this is still done on a modem connection for post offices in
rural locations?

Indeed, although we are promised ADSL from 27th April. POL exists as a
contradiction. Parts are very up to date, such as the Horizon computer
system which you see behind the counter. Parts, which you don't see,
are still very firmly 1965. Who else still uses carbon paper, for
example? Whilst it is true that more and more PO work is being
computerised, there is still a huge amount which relies entirely upon
pen, paper and carbon paper. We try not to even think about interfacing
the computer systems used by the various agencies such as Post Office,
Royal Mail, Parcelforce, DVLA, DHS, Inland Revenue etc.
--
Graeme
Old March 5th 05, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LJM

Friends, Rob, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices now
have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased line?

Are DSL circuits utilised for private networks carrying sensitive
information? My Dad's business is directly linked to the Police
National Computer via an ISDN line, which means it doesn't go through
the internet (very wise)...but I've always wondered why he has to suffer
such a **** slow connection considering how robust and fast the new PNC
system (STORM) is supposed to be.

It wouldn't surprise me if the link between Post Office counters and the
central network is similarly via ISDN.
--
Lee J. Moore
"Life is short, art is long."
Old March 5th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

LJM wrote:
Friends, Rob, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with
the Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post
Offices now have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a
leased line?

Are DSL circuits utilised for private networks carrying sensitive
information? My Dad's business is directly linked to the Police
National Computer via an ISDN line, which means it doesn't go
through the internet (very wise)...but I've always wondered why he
has to suffer such a **** slow connection considering how robust
and fast the new PNC system (STORM) is supposed to be.

It wouldn't surprise me if the link between Post Office counters
and the central network is similarly via ISDN.

No reason ADSL can't be used if a secure VPN is established.

Ivor

Old March 5th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

LJM wrote:
Friends, Rob, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices
now have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased
line?

Are DSL circuits utilised for private networks carrying sensitive
information? My Dad's business is directly linked to the Police
National Computer via an ISDN line, which means it doesn't go through
the internet (very wise)...but I've always wondered why he has to
suffer such a **** slow connection considering how robust and fast
the new PNC system (STORM) is supposed to be.

It wouldn't surprise me if the link between Post Office counters and
the central network is similarly via ISDN.

All I can say is that the majority of PO, both small (some very small) &
large do have a DSL link of some nature....

Old March 5th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
kraftee [email protected]& die.com wrote:
LJM wrote:
[...]

The small post office next door to me has a 2Mb leased line connection of
some sort. I doubt it's to an ISP, probably directly back to HQ (wherever
or whatever that might be) And it wouldn't surprise me if it has a backup
ISDN or somesuch. (Although all the wires come off the same pole I'm on,
so if that goes down, the backup wouldn't be much help!)

I found this out by looking over the shoulder and chatting with the BT
linesman when he went online to check circuits, etc. when I get getting
ISDN installed...

Our exchange isn't ADSL enabled yet.

Gordon
Old March 5th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"LJM" wrote in message
Friends, Rob, countrymen, lend me your newsreaders:
Morning Everyone.

I was lying in bed this morning wondering what the score is with the
Post Office terminals behind the counter. Do all the Post Offices now
have some kind of live data link, eg. ADSL, SDSL or a leased line?

Are DSL circuits utilised for private networks carrying sensitive
information?

Yes. If the underlying transport isnt secure enough, users tend to look at
using encryption or VPN gear (and then not do it once they realise how much
extra work is involved for setup, diagnostics and troubleshooting).

My Dad's business is directly linked to the Police
National Computer via an ISDN line, which means it doesn't go through
the internet (very wise)...but I've always wondered why he has to suffer
such a **** slow connection considering how robust and fast the new PNC
system (STORM) is supposed to be.

you are assuming that a DSL link has to connect to the internet - it doesnt.

BT have a DSL service called Datastream, which uses ATM end to end to
whoever orders the service - my employer uses this to link ADSL to our
corporate MPLS network without touching BTs IP network or the Internet. The
cost is fair bit more than normal consumer internet DSL feeds though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the link between Post Office counters and the
central network is similarly via ISDN.

i believe most PO sites are now on ADSL using the same kind of service.

--
Lee J. Moore
"Life is short, art is long."

--
Regards

Old March 5th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

LJM wrote:
[...]

Could have still been pre-fitted for DSL service though......

Big national project only just finished...

Old March 5th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Gradwell

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 13:03:51 GMT, "stephen"
wrote:

BT have a DSL service called Datastream, which uses ATM end to end to
whoever orders the service - my employer uses this to link ADSL to our
corporate MPLS network without touching BTs IP network or the Internet. The
cost is fair bit more than normal consumer internet DSL feeds though.

and indeed... there is nothing to stop a corporate company purchasing
regular "ISP flavour" ADSL and a Central Pipe, and plugging it into
their corporate network.

ADSL doesn't have to be plugged into the Internet.

peter