Help! - Anyone using PlusNET with a 3Com Office Connect router

Old March 5th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default Help! - Anyone using PlusNET with a 3Com Office Connect router

All,

Got myself a new router to replace my old one and having a spot of
trouble.

I've spoken with plusnet support who have been helpful, but both they
and I are stumped.

The router is showing sync with the exchange.
The light on the router which confirms that the ISP has authenticated
the username and password is not lit (it is correct)
I can't browse the internet.
Pings return this: Destination net unreachable, although pinging a web
address does return an IP address, so the router can see the DNS.
Tracert fails after the first hop (first hop being 192.168.1.2 to
192.168.1.1 I.e. PC to router)

We've been through all of the various options on the router and can't
get anywhere.

Firewall is off (for now), RIP is off, DNS and IP are assigned from
plusnet via DHCP (we've tried assigning manually but it makes no
difference), connection type is PPPoA, VCI/VPI is 0/38, MTU 1492,
Encapsulation mode is VC Muxed.

If any plusnet customers are reading this and use a 3Com router, would
you care to post your settings?

Thanks.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Old March 5th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Jon
writes
[...]

My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.
--
Thoss
Old March 5th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

thoss put hand to keyboard and this was the result:
My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.

How about "Dial on Demand" and "idle timeout"?

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm making progress! I can now get the
router to fetch an IP for the WAN port, but still pings are failing and
I can't browse.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Old March 5th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Jon
writes
thoss put hand to keyboard and this was the result:
My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.

How about "Dial on Demand" and "idle timeout"?

Enabled and 5 min.
--
Thoss
Old March 5th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Have you tried authenticating with the test user accounts?

[email protected]_domain
[email protected] (domain being something like plusdsl.net or whatever is
after the @ of your adsl username)

--
Colin
Old March 6th 05, 03:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:28:53 -0000, Jon wrote:

thoss put hand to keyboard and this was the result:
My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.

How about "Dial on Demand" and "idle timeout"?

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm making progress! I can now get the
router to fetch an IP for the WAN port, but still pings are failing and
I can't browse.

I also have the 3CRWE754G72-A with the same settings as thoss.

I have dial on demand ticked, and idle timeout set to 0.

You are sure it isn't a firewall on your PC, I assume?

On the second hop using tracert, I get
2 23 ms 20 ms 19 ms lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net
[195.166.128.64]

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I don't eat snails... I prefer FAST food!

Old March 6th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Alex Heney
writes
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:28:53 -0000, Jon wrote:

thoss put hand to keyboard and this was the result:
My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.

How about "Dial on Demand" and "idle timeout"?

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm making progress! I can now get the
router to fetch an IP for the WAN port, but still pings are failing and
I can't browse.

I also have the 3CRWE754G72-A with the same settings as thoss.

I have dial on demand ticked, and idle timeout set to 0.

You are sure it isn't a firewall on your PC, I assume?

On the second hop using tracert, I get
2 23 ms 20 ms 19 ms lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net
[195.166.128.64]

I get 14/14/24 ms
--
Thoss
Old March 6th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Jon wrote:
[...]

Is your 3Com Router one of those with a "Mode" switch ,if so make sure
you haven't left it in "Configuration" mode.
Old March 6th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Alex Heney reckoned that...
I also have the 3CRWE754G72-A with the same settings as thoss.

I have dial on demand ticked, and idle timeout set to 0.

I have un-ticked the dial-on demand and find that I have to log in to
the router and manually connect after a router re-boot. Maybe I shall
change this.

You are sure it isn't a firewall on your PC, I assume?

I have XP Pro but no firwealls running, Norton 2005 antivirus.

On the second hop using tracert, I get
2 23 ms 20 ms 19 ms lo0-plusnet.pth-ag3.plus.net
[195.166.128.64]

My connection seems to be stable now, thanks for the input.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
change 'spam' to 'info' to email
Old March 7th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Jon
writes
thoss put hand to keyboard and this was the result:
My 3CRWE754G72-A works perfectly connecting to Plusnet. Settings are
the same as yours except MTU is 1454.

How about "Dial on Demand" and "idle timeout"?

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm making progress! I can now get the
router to fetch an IP for the WAN port, but still pings are failing and
I can't browse.

G.dmt? Had a modem once that refused to connect with g.dmt even though
it was supposed to and every other model had. Tried ANSI and it worked.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"