Closing an account with NTL

Old March 5th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Closing an account with NTL

My mother in law has been attempting to close her NTL Broadband account
since Sept 2004. NTL keep sending her bills, and this has now escalated
to them threatening to alter her credit rating. Notice of this arrived a
month ago. On receipt she wrote the following letter, and sent it
recorded post to who I assume is NTL Home's MD a Mr Aizad Hussain.

See:-
http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/whosw...am/hussain.asp

Text of letter:-
For the Personal Attention of Mr Aizad Hussain

NTL Account *****

Dear Mr Hussain,

I am writing to you personally, because there seem to be serious
communication problems within your customer service department.

On the 28th Sept 2004 I gave notice to your customer service department
that I wished to terminate my 300k NTL Broadband account. The operator
advised me that no written notice was needed, and that the notice period
was one month. She also told me that the direct debit payment of Sept
23rd 04 would be the last. After this transaction was made I instructed
my bank to cancel the mandate.

On the 28th October my connection was indeed terminated

However on Nov 6th an invoice arrived from you, for £29:98 in charges. I
phoned customer services, and was told an error had occurred, and my
account had been reactivated.
I have no idea whether this was the case or not as I disconnected your
modem and software from my computer on Oct 28th. I was told to ignore
the invoice. This I did.

Yet again on Dec 6th another invoice arrived, this time for £14:99. I
wrote to your customer services dept asking to correct the matter.
Nothing happened as on January 7th 05 another invoice arrived for
£29:98. I wrote again on January 9th pointing out once again that my
account ceased on Oct 28th again no response but another invoice was
received on February 7th for £17:89.

This morning I received letter from you threatening to alter my credit
rating if this outstanding amount is not paid. Iíve had enough now, this
is totally unacceptable, if this is not resolved, and I donít receive
written confirmation from you within 10 days of the date of this letter
I will pursue the matter with both Ofcom and Hampshire Trading Standards.

This morning guess what? Another bill still asking for £17:89, no
personal correspondence has ever been received from Hussian or his
staff. She also emailed Hussain the text of her letter, the same day as
sending her letter. The message did not bounce.

I've e-mailed her old NTL account and the message bounces, so is it safe
to assume the account is now closed ?

I'm inclined to get her to simply pay the 17:89 and cut her losses.

I assume Hussain is still on the staff of NTL ?

Will the Post Office have a record of whether or not he signed for the
letter ?

Advice gladly received !

--
Mark
Old March 5th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Mark Carver wrote:

Advice gladly received !

Copy her MP - they will be bending over to help over the next few months.

It might also help to delay any mention of Alzad in a future honors list.
Old March 5th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
My mother in law has been attempting to close her NTL Broadband account
since Sept 2004. NTL keep sending her bills, and this has now escalated
to them threatening to alter her credit rating. Notice of this arrived a
month ago. On receipt she wrote the following letter, and sent it
recorded post to who I assume is NTL Home's MD a Mr Aizad Hussain.

NTL were featured on BBC's Watchdog last week as an incompetent
communications company that can't communicate. Once they have got you they
will never let go. Let this act as a warning to anyone that is thinking
about using this expensive company. As for your mother you could try
contacting Watchdog.

Old March 5th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"informer" writes:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
My mother in law has been attempting to close her NTL Broadband account
since Sept 2004. NTL keep sending her bills, and this has now escalated
to them threatening to alter her credit rating. Notice of this arrived a
month ago. On receipt she wrote the following letter, and sent it
recorded post to who I assume is NTL Home's MD a Mr Aizad Hussain.

NTL were featured on BBC's Watchdog last week as an incompetent
communications company that can't communicate. Once they have got you they
will never let go. Let this act as a warning to anyone that is thinking
about using this expensive company. As for your mother you could try
contacting Watchdog.

There's not much point attempting to communicate with firms which won't
communicate. The answer is to sue them. It's a process I've used
succesfully with another large firm. Two recorded deliver letters
without response, then sue, is a useful formula. It's all quite easy via
the Court Service's DIY on-line procedure. Having got a judgement
against them, if the non-communicating firm then don't pay up (unlikely)
you can then apply to the Court to have the firm's bank account frozen.
That is likely to attract their attention.

--
Tim Clark

Old March 5th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk I presume.

against them, if the non-communicating firm then don't pay up (unlikely)
you can then apply to the Court to have the firm's bank account frozen.
That is likely to attract their attention.

Zane.
Old March 6th 05, 02:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
. ..
Mark Carver wrote:

Advice gladly received !

Copy her MP - they will be bending over to help over the next few months.

Correction: they will *promise* to do anything over the next few months.
Once the election is over, everything will go back to the way it was before.

(kim)