How to connect two PCs over broadband?

Old March 5th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default How to connect two PCs over broadband?

Hi

I have two PCs, one at my office, one at home. It would be useful to be
able to connect them together to transfer files, etc.

I have been using Laplink Gold 12.0 which works well, but the problem is
that the remote machine has to be logged on to allow the Laplink software
to run.

Is there any way for me to connect remotely without having a user logged on
to the remote machine?

Both machines are running XP Home and both machines connect to ADSL through
a 3COM ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old March 5th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

BJH wrote:

Can you configure laplink to run as a service in which case it will
start when the machine turns on and before anyone needs to sign in ? If
not take a look at VNC its free does run as a service and will do what
you need in terms of remote control and I believe there is a version
(lvnc????) which allows file transfers if not u can just email the files
around

JD

Old March 5th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:49:19 GMT, JD wrote:

BJH wrote:

[...]

No, Laplink can't be run as a service. :-(

The problem with email is that large attachments can be problematic. Some
of my CAD files could 20-30Mb. And, of course, emails needn't be instant
there may be some latency in the transfer time. And they're not much good
if I forget to email it to myself in the first place! ;-)

--
Best regards
Barry
Old March 5th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:13:30 GMT, phoenix wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:00:40 +0000, BJH wrote:

Hi

I have two PCs, one at my office, one at home. It would be useful to be
able to connect them together to transfer files, etc.

I have been using Laplink Gold 12.0 which works well, but the problem is
that the remote machine has to be logged on to allow the Laplink software
to run.

Is there any way for me to connect remotely without having a user logged on
to the remote machine?

Both machines are running XP Home and both machines connect to ADSL through
a 3COM ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router.

It would be rather risky to allow connections to your PC without any form
of logon protection. Why don't you set-up an FTP server on the PC if all
you want to do is get files or you could always use VPN.

Regards

Bill

I would have thought having a PC with a user 'logged on' and not in
attendance is not that secure either!

Again, I would assume that an FTP server (like Laplink) needs a user logged
on to the PC (unless it can be run as a service) but VPN may be an option.

Where do I find out more?
How difficult (easy) is it to set up?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old March 5th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart M

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

PC Anywhere accepts connections without anyone logged on.

Old March 5th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:04:19 -0000, Stuart M wrote:

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Stuart, I'll check it out.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old March 5th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

Here is a solution that I use and I think it is also reasonable secure but no doubt someone will add
a comment if I am wrong.

I am using Draytek units at each end and the 'office' end has a fixed IP. Within the Draytek units
[at each end] they are configured to allow pcAnywhere through the firewal and on the office end a
user account is set up for LAN to LAN connectivity. NAT is in place at each end and let as assume
that the office PC has the IP of 192.168.44.57 with the office Draytek unit having a public address
of 62.180.17.53. The home machine has an IP of 192.168.152.17

Norton Internet Security is on the machines at both ends, so that has to be configured to allow
either a single PC or the network to be trusted at the office end. Machines at both ends have the
Xp firewall turned off and PCs at each end are on a different workgroup names.

With pcAnywhere on the office machine, a remote user has been set up and it is set to wait for calls
on boot up before any user logs in.

On the home machine in Network Connections a VPN has been created to the office using the public IP
address. Normally this is left in an unconnected state but once a connection has been established,
and assuming all permissions are correct, then after a short while the Microsoft Windows Network
will show two networks. You can then drill down to the folders of the appropriate PC on each network
to drag and drop files back and forth. This method allows the remote terminal to be used while
transfers are in progress.

With this connection still up you can also use pcAnywhere which is configured with the internal IP
address of the office machine. You become a remote user and have to log on to that machine. This
enables you to control the PC as if you were sitting at the terminal. However this method means
that the remote user may have to suspend his activities. pcAnwhere also has its own ftp which could
be used. I believe that if a wake up LAN card is used then a attempted connection to the PC will
power it up if switched off.

One snag is whatever your ADSL connection may be you are limited to your up speed for transfers and
that is normally.

Hope this helps.

David Bradley

Old March 6th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks David, all I have to resolve now is the GBP175.00 purchase cost for
PC Anywhere! ;-)

--
Best regards
Barry
Old March 6th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mookie

Here is some software which will do exactly what you want. I had a free
trial for about 30 days but never used it. Tried it out though and it was
quite good. http://www.01com.com/contact.asp

Russ

Old March 7th 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:49:24 +0000, BJH wrote:

I would have thought having a PC with a user 'logged on' and not in
attendance is not that secure either!

euh, thats how most servers work...

Again, I would assume that an FTP server (like Laplink) needs a user logged
on to the PC (unless it can be run as a service) but VPN may be an option.

an FTP server is a server - nobody needs to be logged on to for people
connect to it. Like all servers, it runs as a service / daemon /
background process, whatever your os calls it.

Where do I find out more?
How difficult (easy) is it to set up?

Win2K and WinXP come with one built-in.