A Light Hearted Question

Old March 5th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

Default A Light Hearted Question

I've been on dial up all my life. Finally my village will get broadband on
Wednesday. Phew, gosh; we've made it into the 20th century - not too late I
hope (ah, come to think about it...). Anyway, I've bought my filters and
router and am waiting for my "free" modem (to resell on eBay). When Demon
brings it all together for me, will I be happy?

Old March 5th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

Ben Clay wrote:
I've been on dial up all my life. Finally my village will get
broadband on Wednesday. Phew, gosh; we've made it into the 20th
century - not too late I hope (ah, come to think about it...).
Anyway, I've bought my filters and router and am waiting for my
"free" modem (to resell on eBay). When Demon brings it all together
for me, will I be happy?

If you make use of it..

i.e.

download the top 100 albums overnight,
conference 5 mates with Skype and play CounterStrike Source all night,
run webcams from every room in your house and stream them at a high FPS,
download 1 meg virus updates every day in seconds..

etc etc

Yes, you'll wonder how you lived without it..
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

Old March 5th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve P

"Ben Clay" wrote in message
I've been on dial up all my life. Finally my village will get broadband on
Wednesday. Phew, gosh; we've made it into the 20th century - not too late
I hope (ah, come to think about it...). Anyway, I've bought my filters and
router and am waiting for my "free" modem (to resell on eBay). When Demon
brings it all together for me, will I be happy?

Its great you get trojans,spyware and virus at 10x dial up speed! :-)

Old March 5th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"huLLy" wrote in message
Ben Clay wrote:
[...]

Hi
yah and isnt voip just great
voip#
or 0141 5309454

Old March 5th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

I do VOIP with Skype from work to home and She-who-must-be-obeyed sounds
like a Dalek on 46kBaud. Yes - proper Skype is one thing I'm looking forward
to.

"keymaster" wrote in message

Hi
yah and isnt voip just great
voip# or 0141 5309454

Old March 5th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Its great you get trojans,spyware and virus at 10x dial up speed! :-)

Spent over 5 hours today trying to clear out someones' machine...

Upshot: Don't buy Norton Internet Security. It isn't.

Sysclean (free) from Trend found one memory resident worm, and an
inactive trojan on the HD, but i`d already exhausted my knowledge with
Spybot S&D, HijackThis, CWShredder, SpywareBlaster etc. (he already had
Adaware installed).

I threw Pest Patrol at it and it picked up on about 50 items nothing else
had found, and that, in combination with Sysclean and a final bout of
HijackThis finally saw off the magical reappearing ****e.

Pest Patrol therefore goes on my "recommended" list, as does "Sysclean"
(as a one-off "help!" utility).

I think they might have the idea now about not using IE ! :-}

Old March 5th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 at 21:28:22, Ben Clay (Ben Clay
) wrote:
I've been on dial up all my life. Finally my village will get broadband on
Wednesday. Phew, gosh; we've made it into the 20th century - not too late I
hope (ah, come to think about it...). Anyway, I've bought my filters and
router and am waiting for my "free" modem (to resell on eBay). When Demon
brings it all together for me, will I be happy?

I bet broadband cost quite a packet in the 20th Century. Much cheaper
now we're well into the 21st!
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
Old March 5th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Ben Clay wrote:
I do VOIP with Skype from work to home and She-who-must-be-obeyed
sounds like a Dalek on 46kBaud. Yes - proper Skype is one thing I'm
looking forward to.

Sipgate is better. Free phone number and with an ATA you don't need to
rely on a PC.

Ivor

Old March 6th 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:28:22 -0000, "Ben Clay"
wrote:

I've been on dial up all my life. Finally my village will get broadband on
Wednesday. Phew, gosh; we've made it into the 20th century - not too late I
hope (ah, come to think about it...). Anyway, I've bought my filters and
router and am waiting for my "free" modem (to resell on eBay). When Demon
brings it all together for me, will I be happy?

Forget all the hype about what you can do with broaband (download
this, do that, it's great, etc.).

If you leave your PC on 24/7, like I do, and just flick your monitor
on and off whenever you need to use it, then you'll find that being
always on is convenient, but it isn't a revelation or a revolution.

You'll find new ways to do old things, rather that new things to do.
That's the best bit

Jake

Old March 6th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

wrote:

You'll find new ways to do old things, rather that new things to do.
That's the best bit

On a 2MB line you can watch the trailers here on 'large' in real time...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/