Nildram fair usage RIP-OFF

Old March 6th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay Bee

Default Nildram fair usage RIP-OFF

Hi,

Nildram fair usage capped policy and rates are a rip-off!
They sweeten the pill with a 2Mbit/s link that we can use only as a
256Kbit/s link, reducing the monthly downloads (8am to midnight)
from 110GB to 50GB!

Practically they say they offer 2Mbit/s but with a limit of
50 GB/month between 8am and midnight one can only use it as
it was a 256Kbit/s link. How? Let see:

If I have a 512Kbit/s downstream unlimited, here is the traffic
I can get:

512 / 8 = 64 KBytes/s = 230400 KBytes/hour

230400 KBytes/hour * 16 (8:00-23:59) = 3686400 KBytes/day

3686400 * 30 Days = 11059200 KBytes/month

That is 110 GB / Month !!!!

Furthermore Nildram says that when one goes above the limit, they slow the
connection down to 64Kbit/s (like a modem link), however what they do not
say clearly and has to be looked for in the smallprints, it is that they
would still charge for the additional traffic!

Indeed one can do unlimited traffic between midnight and 8am,
but who does it, who wants limit?

It is rather much preferable an unmetered 512Kbit/s (which is fast enough)
than a capped and metered 2Mbit/s!!! In addition, with the type of average
internet usage we do, it is likely that we saturate our narrow upstream
link of 256Kbit/s before we can get the best out of a 2Mbit/s link.

Jay Bee

Old March 6th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
Hi,

Nildram fair usage capped policy and rates are a rip-off!
They sweeten the pill with a 2Mbit/s link that we can use only as a
256Kbit/s link, reducing the monthly downloads (8am to midnight)
from 110GB to 50GB!

So why is that a rip off?

Old March 6th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
Hi,

Nildram fair usage capped policy and rates are a rip-off!

snipped

If you use over 50Gb a month then leave, no-one is forcing you to stay.

Plenty of other ISP's are offering unlimted bandwidth, Zen/HV/Aol etc.
Nildram is famous for being a Gaming ISP as it has a 4 hop jump to the Jolt
network, if you want an ISP who is crap for gaming and good for bandwidth
then Nildram is not for you.

I left an unmlimited bandwidth ISP supplier last week, and am migrating to
Nildram because some of the hi-bandwidth ISP's offer crap gaming
performance, and 50Gb a month is a **** load of bandwidth imo, much more
then BT's poxy 15.

Old March 6th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Five Rounds Rapid

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
[...]

Nildram are generous compared to BT!

Old March 6th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Jay Bee
writes
It is rather much preferable an unmetered 512Kbit/s (which is fast
enough) than a capped and metered 2Mbit/s!!!

In your opinion. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. )
I bet you don't migrate to plusnet!!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 7th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Ronny" wrote in message

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
Hi,

Nildram fair usage capped policy and rates are a rip-off!

snipped

If you use over 50Gb a month then leave, no-one is forcing you to stay.

Plenty of other ISP's are offering unlimted bandwidth, Zen/HV/Aol etc.
Nildram is famous for being a Gaming ISP as it has a 4 hop jump to the

Jolt
network, if you want an ISP who is crap for gaming and good for bandwidth
then Nildram is not for you.

In my experience Pipex has no problems whatsoever with xbox live and PC
gaming - only played UT2004 and command and conquer online but neither
suffered lag or connection problems. What is Jolt anyway? I've never heard
it mentioned before.

Anyway, my point being that Pipex is unlimited and good for gaming.

Old March 7th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Dave wrote:

What is Jolt anyway? I've never heard
it mentioned before.

From their website (www.jolt.co.uk):-

"Launched in October 1999, jolt.co.uk is Europe's largest and most
popular privately owned and independent online gaming network - with in
excess of 900 game servers online.

In addition to its’ base in Europe jolt also has servers across the USA,
delivering the now legendary levels of performance and service to US
gamers that have been enjoyed by gamers across Europe.

Utilising a Gigabit network that consistently outperforms its
competitors, jolt is the network of choice for serious gamers and games
companies alike.

In addition to providing superior internet connectivity, hosting,
infrastructure and management jolt was the pioneer and is also the World
leader in the supply of rentable servers to clans - launched over 3
years ago jolt offers clans and individuals the ability to hire and
manage their own high performance gaming server."
Old March 7th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
Hi,

Nildram fair usage capped policy and rates are a rip-off!

snip ****e

You have my sympathies. It must be dreadful to be forced to stay with an ISP
.... however do you sleep at night ?