BT Basic - deciding when

Old March 6th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
micrometre

Default BT Basic - deciding when

I've not had ADSL previously (currently on Highway, and with a long line)
but I'm working up to it. Because of these contraints I'm thinking of using
BT. Their line checker says I 'may' be able to get 512 kbit/s, but for some
reason the Metronet checker shows a 'should' for 512, with an amber for 1
Mbit/s (so views on that would be appreciated). I recently had a line
fault, and the engineer did various line tests (but not, apparently,
attenuation/SNR!) and he said it was very good (zero BER).

To the point: BT Basic start upgrading existing customers from the 24th. If
I could get 1 Mbit/s, then obviously I'd prefer to get that from the start
(and BT wouldn't have to upgrade later), so when should I apply for the
ADSL service?

Chris

--
Buy the UK Metric Association's report "A Very British Mess" ISBN 0750310146
http://bookmark.iop.org/bookpge.htm?&isbn=0750310146

Old March 6th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

micrometre wrote:
I've not had ADSL previously (currently on Highway, and with a long line)
but I'm working up to it. Because of these contraints I'm thinking of using
BT. Their line checker says I 'may' be able to get 512 kbit/s, but for some
reason the Metronet checker shows a 'should' for 512, with an amber for 1
Mbit/s (so views on that would be appreciated). I recently had a line
fault, and the engineer did various line tests (but not, apparently,
attenuation/SNR!) and he said it was very good (zero BER).

To the point: BT Basic start upgrading existing customers from the 24th. If
I could get 1 Mbit/s, then obviously I'd prefer to get that from the start
(and BT wouldn't have to upgrade later), so when should I apply for the
ADSL service?

Chris

Just because you have a BT line does NOT mean you need to go with a BT
internet product. All isps will be available, BT wholesale serve them
all not just BT so dont be misled by that. It makes no difference what
so ever what ISP you select.

512k is now given out on a try and see method - there are no
line/distance limits. 1mbit is around 60db attenuation. You may as
well apply for 1mbit with a certain ISP then if you dont get it they
should offer 512k.

Linux - Performs in 3 days what other OSs can do in 30 seconds
Old March 6th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

micrometre wrote:
|| I've not had ADSL previously (currently on Highway, and with a long
|| line)

If you go with BT Broadband they will waive the 50 setup/conversion fee and
if when they get to set it up they find your line won't take it, they'll
restore Home Highway for you.

|| but I'm working up to it. Because of these contraints I'm
|| thinking of using BT. Their line checker says I 'may' be able to get
|| 512 kbit/s, but for some reason the Metronet checker shows a
|| 'should' for 512, with an amber for 1 Mbit/s (so views on that would
|| be appreciated). I recently had a line fault, and the engineer did
|| various line tests (but not, apparently, attenuation/SNR!) and he
|| said it was very good (zero BER).
|| To the point: BT Basic start upgrading existing customers from the
|| 24th. If I could get 1 Mbit/s, then obviously I'd prefer to get that
|| from the start (and BT wouldn't have to upgrade later), so when
|| should I apply for the ADSL service?
|| Chris
|| --
|| Buy the UK Metric Association's report "A Very British Mess" ISBN
|| 0750310146 http://bookmark.iop.org/bookpge.htm?&isbn=0750310146

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 6th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
micrometre

Gordon wrote:

micrometre wrote:
|| I've not had ADSL previously (currently on Highway, and with a long
|| line)

If you go with BT Broadband they will waive the 50 setup/conversion fee
and if when they get to set it up they find your line won't take it,
they'll restore Home Highway for you.

Which is one of the reasons I'm going for BT (in answer to String's
comments). Hopefully, it's extremely unlikely I can't get any ADSL (the
engineer said he'd installed several in the vicinity). However, as they
have to come out to convert anyway, if I chose BT as the ISP they will
hopefully make more effort to get the best service while they are here
(including getting them to replace the NTE5 faceplate with a filtered one,
which got rid of a colleague's problems with evening sync loss, also on a
long line).

However, I did not want to debate the merits of BT as an ISP. I want
suggestions as to how to time my request for 1 Mbit/s (even if I can't
actually get it).

Chris

Old March 6th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:45:55 UTC, micrometre
wrote:

Gordon wrote:

micrometre wrote:
|| I've not had ADSL previously (currently on Highway, and with a long
|| line)

If you go with BT Broadband they will waive the 50 setup/conversion fee
and if when they get to set it up they find your line won't take it,
they'll restore Home Highway for you.

Which is one of the reasons I'm going for BT (in answer to String's
comments). Hopefully, it's extremely unlikely I can't get any ADSL (the
engineer said he'd installed several in the vicinity).

But whether you go for BT, or one of the other ISPs (who also do
conversion offers), the same engineer will arrive to do it. They may
charge a little more, but the same restoration of normal service, if it
doesn't work, still applies.

However, as they
have to come out to convert anyway, if I chose BT as the ISP they will
hopefully make more effort to get the best service while they are here

Why? BT Broadband are a different company, and they just contract BT
Wholesale to do the work, in the same way that any other ISP would. They
would like you to think otherwise, of course.

However, I did not want to debate the merits of BT as an ISP.

No, but it's worth undersyanding the difference (or lack of it).

In any case, it's the long term (ISP quality) you should look at, not
short term costs. If you believe that BTBB is a good ISP vfor you (in
terms of customer service, etc.) then go for it. But make sure you
understand what I wrote at the top...

Old March 6th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark eldon

have a look at www.samknows.com

"micrometre" wrote in message
[...]

It has removed 953 spam emails to date.